PDA

View Full Version : Shaving brush

Wayne Hendrix
11-04-2011, 12:49 AM
I made this brush this evening. I realized a couple things; first, for someone who started out turning pens, my spindle turning skills are terrible. Second, I really need to get some buffing wheels, sanding this through all the grits of micromesh and then using polishing compound was awful.

For those that are interested, the overall height is 100mm, the handle is 52mm and the loft (height of the hair) is 48mm. The knot is a 22mm Best Badger and the handle is imitation horn both from The Golden Nib.

Mike Peace
11-04-2011, 1:36 AM
Turned out real nice.

Richard Jones
11-04-2011, 1:40 AM
Good stuff, Wayne. Pretty colors in that horn.

I have 4 or 5 knots from TGN that I need to handle. Thanks for the inspiration.

R

Joe Watson
11-04-2011, 1:41 AM
That looks great - almost looks like it was made out of stone.
How are the bristles held in ?

John Keeton
11-04-2011, 6:14 AM
Nice work, Wayne! That imitation horn is a good replica - looks very much like the horn I have worked with in the past doing carved/scrimshaw powder horns.

On the next one, you might try reversing your bead to the end and see what you think of it.

Gary Kman
11-04-2011, 7:18 AM
Didn't it make that badger angry?

John Keeton
11-04-2011, 7:21 AM
Wayne forgot to add that he held the badger by the throat with his left hand, and individually pulled each bristle!!!:D What a man!!! Some guys will do anything for a close shave.;)

Baxter Smith
11-04-2011, 8:53 AM
Looks good to me Wayne!

Richard Hutchings
11-04-2011, 10:16 AM
I want to start using a brush to shave with so I have a reason to make one of those. That looks great.

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Really nice Wayne.

Jim Burr
11-04-2011, 10:33 AM
It's kind of funny that pen turning does not lend itself to spindle turning...if that were the case, I'd be the greatest finial maker in the world!!

Wayne Hendrix
11-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

That looks great - almost looks like it was made out of stone.
How are the bristles held in ?

The knot comes pre-assembled and I epoxied it into the handle. It got it from here: http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_43&products_id=275

Nice work, Wayne! That imitation horn is a good replica - looks very much like the horn I have worked with in the past doing carved/scrimshaw powder horns.

On the next one, you might try reversing your bead to the end and see what you think of it.

That's a good idea, thanks.

Richard Hutchings
11-04-2011, 11:02 AM
What does that mean?

John Keeton
11-04-2011, 11:30 AM
What does that mean?Richard, his turning consists of a cove (the concave area next to the end) and a bead (next to the bristles). My suggestion was to put the bead on the end, and the cove next to the bristles. Should provide a better "feel" and look more balanced.

Richard Hutchings
11-04-2011, 11:33 AM
I see. I was looking at the cove as just a continuation of the handle so I didn't recognize it as a cove.

Jon Lanier
11-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Looks nice. and... we all need to continue to work on our skills. That's why we turn.

I've made two... both for my sons as they have 'come of age.' I had them there in the planning stage and had them 'hold' the handle to see if it was to their liking. Neither like the bead so it came off. I need to make myself one, the one I have from 20 years ago has seen better days. I've got a nice piece of Bethlehem Olive Wood Burl waiting for a knot purchase.

Wayne Hendrix
11-04-2011, 12:01 PM
FWIW, I patterned this brush after another I have that I like the feel of. I hold the brush with my finger tips in the cove. However, it is the only brush style I have ever tried and so I am definitely open to suggestions. The next one is going to have a bead at the bottom and a larger cove that is higher up the brush.