PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection for plastic dust.

Chris Harper
11-03-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm trying to decide on DC for my shop. Main issue right now is whether or not to run a sub-panel so I can get 220V.

I have a 22124 table saw and want to get a Shark Guard or something similar for overhead dust collection. I get my hardwood planed and jointed elsewhere. I want to get away from that but at the moment I'm a table saw, router, miter saw plus some hand-held power tools shop. So for now I need something that can capture dust from above and below the table saw. I do plan to add a free standing planer and a jointer in the future.

As far as plastics, on occasion I cut a lot of Sintra for a friend of mine. Sintra is a PVC sheet plastic used in the sign industry. I may also be cutting a similar polyethylene product called Starlite XL.

The Sintra dust is very clingy and harder to suck up with a wet-dry vac. You have to really get right on top of it and create a lot of suction to get some of it up. When I blow it off my TS or X-cut sled it requires a more direct blast of compressed air than wood dust does. It's not like cutting UMHW or HDPE cutting boards. Well cutting it is the same but the dust is different.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should be considering for the plastic dust?

As far as general wood working, I don't get much shop time with two and three year old boys. So while I can afford it, I'm a bit reluctant to spend a lot of time, effort and money on DC and a sub panel. But on the other hand I already regret not getting more saw than my 22124 so I want to do it right this time. My boys aren't allowed in the shop but they will be allowed in the adjoining garage so dust collection is more important than ever.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin W Johnson
11-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Before making any decisions on dust collection equipment and ducting, take some time (a good bit) and read through this site http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm Dust collection is a very overlooked and after-thought about subject. Pay close attention to section that talks about ducting, and the need for 6" duct for proper fine dust (fines) collection. You'll need to properly plan your equipment to pull enough velocity thru 6" ducts. Most people (me included) start out cheap, only to learn that what we started with is inadequate to do the job properly. You not only have to collect the fines, but remove them from the air before returning that air to the shop.

As for the clingy plastic dust, have you thought about a anti-static spray on the work surfaces? Also, if you plan to continue cutting that material, metal ducts will be a necessity.

Jerome Stanek
11-04-2011, 8:00 AM
First wipe the sintra down with an old dryer sheet this will help with the static. I use a HF 2 horse dust collector on my CNC and it works very well. I do cut a lot of sintra and you do get a lot of static.

Chris Harper
11-04-2011, 9:56 AM
Thanks guys, hadn't thought of any sort of anti-static spray or wipe. Hopefully that will do the trick. I've already started digesting Bill Pentz's site but it's hard to get through with my boys climbing all over me. Some of it's starting to sink in.

Jerome - what sort of CNC are you cutting the Sintra with? I've actually suggested my friend look for a shop with one. In this economy there have to be some shops that would be happy to keep their machines running. It won't break my heart if I'm not the one cutting it.

Kevin W Johnson
11-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Yeah, just read thru Bills site till it makes sense, it's a lot to absorb. IMHO it's an invaluable reference with lots of great info.