PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: Anyone use the "Versa Chisel" from PSI?

Rob Price
11-03-2011, 9:35 PM
I see lots of comparisons between these and the Sorby Spindlemaster. I was looking for a 1/2" skew chisel at Amazon and came across a set of two benjamin's best versa chisels. I'm just getting started, the started set of tools came with a 1" skew chisel, I was looking to add a smaller one as well. Thanks.

David E Keller
11-03-2011, 10:06 PM
I've not used the tool you asked about, but I'd recommend Alan Lacer's skew chisels if you want a great skew... They're thicker than the standard skew which makes them more stable and user friendly. I'm sure here are other brands as well, the Lacer skew I own is head and shoulders better than the couple of anorexic skews I acquired prior.

Nick Fournier
11-03-2011, 10:06 PM
I have the Versa Chisel - both the larger and smaller ones. At least for me, I haven't gotten much use out of them as I just can't seem to see the benefit they provided.

John Keeton
11-03-2011, 10:15 PM
I have the larger one, and find it useful at times, but I try to avoid any skew type work. It seems for forgiving than a skew, and because it has a rounded edge, it makes a nice shear scraper for lighter work. Quite honestly, that is the principal use I make of it.

Jake Helmboldt
11-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Never used one so I can't say.

As for skews, I like to have a variety. My favorite is a 3/4 with a radius grind on it. I also got a big 1 1/4 Crown which I also put a radius on, much like the Lacer, but at less than 1/2 the cost. That is nice for bigger spindle projects.

Tim Leiter
11-03-2011, 11:11 PM
I have the set of 3 Benjamins Best Versa chisels. They are pretty much all I use on my pens now. I especially like them when working with deer antler, they worked better for me than a skew. I did use a spindle gouge to round the blanks then I used a skew for the rest of the pen blank and had very little if no sanding that needed to be done. I saw a Versa chisel on sale so I bought one to try. After I tried it I bought the other two so I would have a full set. I don't know if it's all in my head or not, but for me they are the only tools I use now when I make pens. I find they are easier to use than a skew, I get fewer catches, and I get a smooth finish on the pen blanks. But, as with any tool, everyone uses them differently and because they work great for me, doesn't mean they would be your first choice. (I didn't mean I only use the versa chisels on pens, but that is what I make the most. I also use them on other spindle work. I just used them on a mallet I made and they worked great.)
Tim.

Rob Price
11-04-2011, 8:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. I can get two at Amazon for $25, so it's no big deal to try them out. Like I said, I'm just getting started. I figure I'll create several piles of shavings before I figure out which tools I like best. What I think is cool, is that each author I've read, and a few videos I've watched, each has his/her favorite way to use each tool. Once I start to get my feel for things I figure I'll have a better idea what to buy next when it's time for some of the nicer, and pricier tools. Not to mention I'd be terrified to learn sharpening and grinding on a $100 tool at this point.

John Keeton
11-04-2011, 9:32 AM
At that price, for handled HSS, you can always "repurpose" them later if you don't like them. Lots of uses for a HSS bar in a handle!

Rob Price
11-04-2011, 11:12 AM
good point!

Kyle Iwamoto
11-04-2011, 11:12 PM
I bought a Sorby Spindlemaster. I hardly use it. I just attempted to use it the other day. Got a nice catch on my finish pass and I just about tossed it as far as I could. I would have, but my car was nearby, if I did toss it, I probably would have hit the windshield. What I'm trying to say is stick with the "traditional" tools. I have a skewchigouge, pyramid tool, and maybe another gimmick type tool. They all reside deep down in my toolbox. I try to practice with them from time to time, but I just go back to the gouges and scrapers and every once in a while the dreaded skew.

Jesse Goodwin
11-05-2011, 8:24 AM
I got a Sorby Spindlemaster several years ago and I had a similar experience like Kyle. Then, I stumbled upon a video on how to use it on Craft Supplies web site. I decided to try it again and it is one of my favorite tools for center work now. It does take practice to master but it is great for coves and beads once you get the hang of it. I bought a couple of construction grade 2x2 for practice, like I did to practice with the skew and by the time they were shavings I had a new favorite tool. Videos are worth a million words.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-05-2011, 8:53 PM
Got a link? I searched the CSUSA site, could not happen on it. Is it different from the Sorby site video? I can't figure it out. Or I'm too aggressive. Or something. I also have a Ray Keys box gouge that I can't figure out either.... Must be operator error....