PDA

View Full Version : High School Woodworker Looking for First Lathe

Noah Zavolas
11-03-2011, 4:10 PM
Hi all, I'm a sophmore in high school, and have been working with wood in some capacity since I was very little. I've been to many woodworking summer camps, and have helped my grandfather on some of his wooden boats, but I am still constantly learning new techniques, and making bunches of mistakes. I'm pretty good with my hands, and really enjoy the creative outlet woodworking provides. Last year, as a freshman, I had the opportunity to learn the lathe from my shop teacher. What originally interested me about the lathe was that it was the machine used to turn baseball bats. I immediatley saw a way to connect my passion, baseball, with my favorite hobby, woodworking. I turned a baseball bat as my first ever turning project, and it turned out well. It's a little shorter than it was supposed to be, and it has it's imperfections, but the finished product is balanced similarly to my other, factory-made wood bats, and it is by far the project that I am most proud of. Since then, I have scaled down and turned a few pens on our shop's mini lathe. These too came out very well, and my shop teacher has asked me to turn a few more for the principals. I am in no way an advanced turner; I am constantly learning new things and new tricks with each project, but more importantly, I have come to realize that something about wood turning appeals to me in a very personal sense, almost as if it centers me in some way (no pun intended).

All that said, half an hour every other day in shop class just doesn't seem to cut it anymore. I constantly find myself wishing I was at the lathe. Have I been sucked into the vortex!?! Anyway, my main reason for posting, besides the introduction, was to get some information about wood lathes. I've done some research, and talked to some knowledgeable people, but would like some more input. I'm looking for a good, well-built lathe for myself, but on a high schooler's budget I'm not sure really what there is. I'm not a professional woodworker, and cerainly will not be using this lathe every day. It will get a good deal of use though, and I'm looking for a lathe with a good track record. Another point is the type of lathe. I don't really know what's best - start small and work up in terms of size, or just the opposite? I haven't really specialized at all at the moment; I'd like to turn another bat in the future, but I could always do that on one of the larger lathes in school. I do know that I will be turning pens on the lathe, but it seems that I could just buy a mandrel for the lathe I decide on. I've heard very good things about all of the JET models, the JWL 1236 in particular, and have found the older blue model for $300. Is it true though that Harbor freight offers the exact same lathe at about half the price? My shop teacher recommended Delta, and told me to get an elctronically variable speed lathe if at all possible.

Any and all feedback is welcome; what have you guys and girls found to be the best "novice" lathe?

Thanks VERY much in advance,
Noah

Jack Mincey
11-03-2011, 4:31 PM
Noah,
The Delta 46-460 Midi lathe is a great lathe for someone that is just starting the fall into the vortex. It is on sale right now at amazon for $575.99. I have two of them in the school shop that I teach at and they have held up to students for two years now and still work great. Just ordered another one yesterday for our shop. The harbor freight have many problems as they get a few hours on them, would not go there if it possible to buy a Delta or Jet.
Good Luck,
Jack

Steve Vaughan
11-03-2011, 4:34 PM
Well, welcome to the vortex. And yes, it is a vortex. Really a great story you're telling and I'll leave the type of lathe to start off with to some of the others here. But I think you're thinking in the right direction. My first turned project was in Jr. High School - an ashtray. And then a bowl. I still have them and I'm 55 years old. Glad to hear someone starting in high school! Stay at it, wonderful hobby, and it will bring you great peace (well, after you get over spending all that money on it!)

Ron Jones near Indy
11-03-2011, 5:23 PM
I have heard good things about the Rikon in addition to the Delta and the Jet. I'm sure more knowledgeable turner will chime in with their opinions on it. One thing that I noticed from your post is that you are a very good writer for a high school sophomore. Keep up the good work. I base this on my 42 years of teaching industrial arts/industrial tech/tech.

Marty Eargle
11-03-2011, 7:07 PM
If your spending limit is only a few hundred bucks, I can say a lot of kind words about the Harbor Freight Jet clone. I have had one for almost a year and have had very few issues with it, other than wanting to upgrade to something more powerful. Though, if you can save up a few more hundred, get yourself the Delta 46-460 and don't look back.

Robert Newton
11-03-2011, 7:35 PM
Check Craigslist, they have some good buys but need to watch what you get, wish I had an extra one I could give you.

Josh Bowman
11-03-2011, 7:35 PM
Noah,
Welcome to SMC, you will find a lot of friendly and helpful folks here. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. Here's my lathe opinion: I don't see what area you are from, but if you check/get involved with your local turning club, you might get some great help.......like a lathe. I know I've upgraded several things and really since I hate fooling with selling it, would be tickled to give it or make a deal on the older equipment to someone just starting out.

Royce Wallace
11-03-2011, 7:45 PM
Josh has given you good advice. Find a local woodturning club and go to visit--you will be welcome. You can contact AAW website to find a local club. If not let me know & I can give you the information. I agree at the moment about the Delta 46-variable speed as a good product. We have one in our local club and find it to be a good piece of equiment. Also have Jet midi VS lathes as well. They have worked well.

Greg Just
11-03-2011, 7:49 PM
I second what Josh said. Find a local woodturner club and tell them your story. I sold my old lathe through the club and offered a discounted price. I could have sold it on Criagslist for more, but I wanted to find someone that really wanted to turn. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

David E Keller
11-03-2011, 8:06 PM
Depending on your location, you'll likely be able to find a deal on a decent used lathe. If youre close to me, I've got a Rikon midi that you could have for a song. Definitely check with a local club. BTW, welcome!

Dave Ogren
11-04-2011, 1:54 PM
Welcome to "The Creek". I have a friend that only turns baseball bats. He uses an old tube lathe. I have seen them for sale with tools for $50.00 and less.
Good Luck,
Dave

Erik Johanson
11-04-2011, 3:13 PM
I have not been turning long as I am just re-teaching myself from when I learned back in high school. I teach a little pen turning to my advanced woodworking students on an old Rockwell/Delta that is at least 40 years old and runs great. I also have a small Rikon Mini lathe that I turn with at home and although it does not get the use that it demands it has never failed me yet. Just keep in mind that most (not all) have the option of an extension bed if you decide to turn longer pieces. What will limit you will be the throw, the distance from the spindle center to the bottom of the bed. If I had the money I would have gotten the Delta 46-460 as I have heard awesome reviews of this lathe and I believe it has also won some awards along the way.

Lastly the best advice I can give you about learning and perfecting your skills: Don't be afraid to try something new and tap into the resources of your elders. Some of those Ol' Timers have more knowledge to share than any book, video, or demonstration can provide and most are more than willing to share what they know.

Betty Fox
11-04-2011, 5:16 PM
+1 (or whatever it's up to now) for Josh Bowman's comment. Lots of good deals at the local woodturner's club. Find one in your area and you might pick up some free tools along with the free knowledge they offer.
Betty

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2011, 7:07 PM
Welcome to SMC Noah. Ditto what Josh said. AAW can help you find a turning club.

Jim Underwood
11-04-2011, 7:25 PM
I've used several lathes since the first one. The first one was a cheapie ($120 new) with a stamped steel body from Big Lots or Harbor Freight. And it really wasn't a good lathe. Still, it was free, and it did turn wood. I turned quite a few things on it... I do not recommend this kind of lathe. (Actually the very first was probably a Powermatic shop lathe in Jr. High)

The next one was a HF with a mechanical variable speed reeves drive. (I think that's the 1236) I did ok with this one until I tried to line up the drive pulleys and they shattered into a million pieces. Could be they'd been out of line from the start and it overheated and crystalized them. So I don't recommend this one either, though lots of guys here like them. I'd highly recommend an electronic variable speed over the mechanical... (Had a lot of broken lock handles on this one too.)

The next one after that was a skip/drop bed Rockwell Delta, and it was ok, but the banjos for the tailstock and toolrest were kinda clunky and not easily moved and adjusted. As well it's capacity was quite limited.

Then I got the Jet mini 1014 (non EVS model), and several years later I upgraded to the Jet 1642. I still own, and can recommend both of these. (Not that you can afford the 1642 at this point.)

So to sum up, the cheapie lathes give too much trouble, and the mid-range non-EVS variable speeds are problematic, and the older used iron has it's own set of limitations... So I'd advise looking for a gently used current model Jet or Delta that fit your criteria.

Good luck, and welcome to the vortex... I know that feeling of wanting to turn. Got home tonight and went right out to the shop to try something out....

Will Winder
11-04-2011, 7:49 PM
There are a lot of lathes on the Boston / Worcester craigslist's if you're willing to hunt for them. This one caught my attention this morning: http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/tls/2684226443.html

Noah Zavolas
11-04-2011, 8:14 PM
Hi all, thanks for all of the replies. I'm looking into the local woodturning clubs, and it doesn't look like there's too much right in my area, but I might be able to make the monthly trip... I hadn't done much research on the Delta lathes before the 46-460 was recommended, but it now seems that that might be the closest I get to a lathe that will handle any and all of my needs. The only thing that I don't like about it is the price tag. The lowest I've seen is on Toolbarn.com for $535, but that's without the $80 shipping charge. As of now, I like the "Midi" flavor, as it seems you could scale up for larger things, but still have a good leve of precision for the smaller peices.

I'd be very inerested in a used model of the 46-460, as well as the JET JWL-1220VS, which seems to be JET's slightly toned down version of the 46-460. I'm not looking to spend big bucks on my very first lathe; I want a functional and durable machine that I can continue to learn on, and then progress to a larger model if need be. I'm located right outside of Boston, MA. so, in the off-chance that anyone near me has one of these that they're looking to let go, please let me know.

Rick Markham
11-04-2011, 9:48 PM
Welcome to SMC and the vortex Noah! Resistance is futile :) Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Wes Henson
11-04-2011, 10:44 PM
I started with a Rikon 70-100 and it worked well for me.
The low end speed is 410 rpm so a little high but it I enjoyed it.

Noah Zavolas
11-05-2011, 8:25 PM
Hi all, I'm sure some of you have already seen this, but I was salivating over the delta when I saw this offer from CPOdelta: http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaea_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-porter-cable-delta-Site/Sites-porter-cable-delta-Library/default/v1304095685995/pdf/delta-rebate-form.pdf

Here's the original site:
http://www.cpodeltamachinery.com/delta-46-460-12-1-2-in-variable-speed-midi-lathe/dwwn46-460,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=delta-lathes

It almost seems to good to be true... Is it? If anyone has any knowledge about this rebate, please let me know. If it is legitimate, I may jump at it, but I just want to make sure I'll be spending $300+, not $600+

EDIT: It was too good. The rebate for the 46-460 was actually $50, not $300...

Noah Zavolas
11-06-2011, 8:45 PM
Hope this counts as a legitimate double post; I have found a JET JWL 1236, one of the older blue models, for $300. Apparently it is brand new (that's what they all say!), but it seems like a good deal on at least a quality machine... it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to scratch the dough together for a Delta or JET midi, and I'm not crazy about the size of the minis. If anyone has any experience with these JETS please let me know.

Josh Bowman
11-06-2011, 9:16 PM
Patience my young Padawan. I feel a ripple in the vortex. So much for my Star Wars quotes.
Anyway, I'd give it a month or two. Get involved in your local AAW wood turning group. At the very least you'll be mentored on some very nice machines. From there you can "try before you buy" and get some hands on opinions.

Jack Mincey
11-07-2011, 6:30 AM
Noah, One only gets a $50.00 rebate from delta with the purchase of the 46-460 lathe and I plan on sending it for it which will make the total price for the lathe from amazon $525.99.

Jack

Mike Cruz
11-07-2011, 7:25 AM
Hi, Brendan.

Luke Townsley
11-07-2011, 9:21 PM
Realize that accessories can end up costing more than your lathe. So, if you want to turn bowls and start out with a lathe with a smaller spindle, you will have to either use adapters or buy all new. I bought a 12" Rockwell a year ago, bought a few chisels and accessories and realized I needed to upgrade to do the kind of work I want to do. A few of my accessories will get left behind, but not too much. If I had spend more time on it and tooled up and then made the jump, it would have been worse.

One strategy is to buy used, but try to hold off on any accessories that might not work for you if you upgrade in a year or two. That way, you can play around, figure out what you like, and then make an informed decision and sell you lathe for about what you have in it.

Noah Zavolas
11-10-2011, 3:30 PM
Hi all, it looks like I will be buying used no matter what I do. That said, does anyone have any experience with the delta 46-250 or the turncrafter 10" VS? One of my friend's father is looking to get rid of a delta, and I found a turncrafter on craigslist. Obviously I would have to do some turning on a lathe before I buy it, but I've heard soem good and bad things about the turncrafters, and the delta is neither new or EVS. I believe it is belt chage though. Just wondering if anyone had any input...

Thanks!

Luke Townsley
11-10-2011, 7:29 PM
For learning on, there isn't anything wrong with a single speed motor. Of course, you will always wish you had EVS, but then again, you will be wishing you had a bigger lathe anyway. Just make sure it goes slow enough to handle the largest stuff you want to do. Also, check to see how easy it is to change speeds. You will be changing speeds a lot.