PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Piece

John Beaver
11-03-2011, 12:55 PM
This is a piece I did for the Segmented Woodturners "One Wood Challenge".
The contest pieces were entered with no names, so I wanted to wait until the challenge was finished to post it here.
As the title states, the piece had to have at least one glue joint (segmented) and had to be made out of one species of wood.

4 x 7.5 Jatoba

C&C's welcome

Jim Burr
11-03-2011, 1:19 PM
AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! Segmented-wavy-great-wall-of-china-monster-work-of-art!!!! I'm going back to pens!!!! If you didn't win, I'm going to make pencils since all aspiration is dashed to atoms!!

Jon McElwain
11-03-2011, 1:25 PM
Fantastic! Love the new generation wave! One of these days you are going to have to post a tutorial...

Scott Hackler
11-03-2011, 1:35 PM
Another beautiful piece John. I really like the the open pieces follow the angle of the curves.

Alan Trout
11-03-2011, 1:39 PM
John,

That is a wonderful piece, However even with no name applied to the piece I can guarantee everyone knew exactly who made it.:)

Great work

Alan

Tim Rinehart
11-03-2011, 1:50 PM
Great job...what's next? Hmmm, Wave Patterns from a Rose Engine perhaps? Definitely another wonderful and immediately recognizable piece John.
Kudos!

Paul Williams
11-03-2011, 1:52 PM
John, that is a great piece. Gook luck with the contest.
Can your wave be "bent" enough to relicate the stitching on a baseball?

charlie knighton
11-03-2011, 2:48 PM
very nice, thanks for sharing

Prashun Patel
11-03-2011, 3:03 PM
Beautiful; That wave is as good as you signing yr name across it in big letters, though.

What I love best about this piece is the segmentation adn the grain pattern. It's prominent, but not dominant. Very tastefully done.

I also (and I say this with due humility): I think your form is just pefrect. The return on the top has great proportion, and the foot creates a great shadow on the bottom.

I could go on, but I'm feeling very pretentious now.

John Beaver
11-03-2011, 10:18 PM
I appreciate all the comments.

Jim Burr, you are hilarious.
Paul W. I think a baseball could be accomplished, but I would have to study it some more.
Prashun, don't stop... my ego was just getting warmed up.

ps. I did win the contest.

John Keeton
11-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Superior work, John! Not only a different take on the signature "Beaver Wave", but the upward grain of the segments carries the theme. I love the open wave band. Cool stuff, John, cool stuff! Congrats on the win, but who would have doubted.

Curt Fuller
11-03-2011, 10:45 PM
John you seem to be limitless on your creativity with "The Wave". I think this might be my favorite. That's a great idea for a challenge too.

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Beautiful piece John.

Rick Markham
11-04-2011, 2:03 AM
Congrats on the win John, certainly well deserved. I would have to say that is one of the finest segmented bowls I have seen. It's a spectacular piece, I love the open segmented wave, and the perfect little wave pattern the grain creates. Spectacular design, flawless delivery!

Kathy Marshall
11-04-2011, 2:11 AM
Beautiful and very cool bowl John! Love the open wave and the orientation of the grain! Congrats on the win!

Russell Eaton
11-04-2011, 7:45 AM
Congrats on the win. That is a great looking piece.

Baxter Smith
11-04-2011, 8:51 AM
Great work John and congrats on the win!

Robert McGowen
11-04-2011, 9:11 AM
I can see why you won the challenge. Great looking piece.

Steve Schlumpf
11-04-2011, 9:27 AM
You didn't sign the piece? Now that's funny right there!

Beautiful work! Congrats on your well-deserved win!!

Malcolm Tibbetts
11-04-2011, 9:53 AM
For those interested, the "challenge" offered to the membership of the Segmented Wood Turners was to enter a piece with only one wood species and with no other embellishment (no carving, coloring, etc). We had 26 entries that were voted on by the membership. There were many outstanding efforts entered, but John's piece received twice as many votes as second place (the membership has good taste).

Terry Beadle
11-04-2011, 10:15 AM
+1 to your gloat ! You bowled me over....chuckle !