PDA

View Full Version : Lathe "upgrade" - Would this be a waste of money?

Dan Lanicek
03-03-2005, 10:15 AM
I have a Jet mini lathe (non-VS). Love the thing but I've been working on some bowls lately and the lathe is just a little too small for what I'm wanting to do.

I'd love to get a Nova 3000 or a Jet 1442 but the funds can't support it right now. I can, however, afford a HF 34706 lathe. It's only 2" additional swing and a 1/4 HP more than the mini though. But it does have VS and allows for outboard turning.

Do you think it is worth the $190 to "upgrade" from a Jet mini to the HF lathe? Or will I be disappointed?

Richard Allen
03-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Hi Dan

I would sugest that you save up for a bigger and better lathe. Make some bowls on the little jet and sell them. Make other stuff and sell those things as well. Put the proceeds in a new lathe fund. In a year you will be able to buy that 1442. In two years you could get the Nova. In three years a Powermatic and in 4 years you could get a Oneway. You can shrink all of those times to a third if you turn and sell a lot.

The HF lathe you mentioned is okay as a first lathe. You can turn a lot of nice thigs on that lathe. Fact is you can turn a lot of nice things on the Jet mini.

I know that spending a year or more to save up for a lathe is a long time. But during that time you will improve your skills. develop your own style and improve your marketing skills.

Good Luck

Jeff Sudmeier
03-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Dan,

Welcome to Saw Mill Creek! If you have a HF store near you go and check the lathe out. As Richard said, I think that I would tend to save for a better lathe and use the heck out of your Jet mini to fund it.

Jim Becker
03-03-2005, 2:03 PM
Regarding the "VS" on the 34706. It's merely a Reeves drive (same as on a Jet 1236) and while it is true that you can vary the speed, it likes to be set to one of five or six stops and you cannot change the speed unless the machine is running. The lowest speed is also about 300 RPM. Frankly, it would not be much of an upgrade over your mini. You can turn some very nice bowls and vessels on the Mini while you save for the lathe you truly want. Please understand, I'm not saying anything is bad with the HFT machine...I started out on one, as a matter of fact...just that it's not really much of an upgrade, IMHO.

Steven Wilson
03-03-2005, 2:59 PM
I wouldn't call what you're planning on doing an upgrade. If you need more capacity, shop for a lathe that's as good as your Jet Mini but with more capacity. IMNHO I wouldn't consider anything between your Jet Mini and a Powermatic 3520A an upgrade.

Dennis Taylor
03-03-2005, 3:38 PM
check out Amazon.com they have the Jet 1236 there, and not much more than the 190.00 price, at least you are moving up to larger, I live near a HF and the lathe they have is a knock off, but it looks CHEAP!..I was going to go that route, last year, and saved up...the 1236 on amazon is new, and free shipping....Dennis

Tom Mullane
03-03-2005, 4:04 PM
Dennis.. the Jet 1236 on Amazon is $550, that is a bit more than the $190 for the HF... LOL...
I also agree with Steve and Jim... about saving up and upgrading to a better lathe in the future.. but I disagree with Steve about getting nothing less than a Powermatic 3520A.... I am currently saving for a Jet 1640... it has all the size I will need and the power with the 2 HP motor... I have been lucky enough to have the use of one occassionally and it purrs like a kitten... has a nice electronic variable speed also...
I am turning and selling pens and small bowls and boxes to hopefully afford my Jet in the near future... and I figure I can get a good price on my 1236 since it is a good lathe... I only wish the 1640 was available when I was looking for my first lathe.. I would already have it...

Steven Wilson
03-03-2005, 5:07 PM
Tom, I'm not familiar with the Jet model you mention but I had some experience on the Delta a year or so back and the inverter electronics kept going out; very frustrating to turn on. It just seems that the machines between the Jet mini and something like the Powermatic 3520A (or similar) have too many compromises to really be an upgrade from the Jet mini - more capacity yes, but better? doubtful. Now, the Jet you mention might be just dandy, but I wouldn't know as I haven't been looking much at other lathes since I picked up a Oneway

Tom Mullane
03-03-2005, 6:31 PM
Can't argue with the fact that I would also not be looking at another lathe if I had a Oneway... LOL.... but SWHTM just does not understand the psychological advantages of having a lathe bigger than I need and more powerful than anyone else I know... LOL..
The 1640 Jet is a sweet machine... so far I have heard nothing but great reports about it and the one I have had a chance to play with is real nice... I have never been a big fan of the Delta lathes (now that should get a rise our to some people).. have used a Midi and the one similar to the 1236 and just not as comfortable on them...
Well that's what makes horse races... choices...

Barry Horner
03-03-2005, 8:03 PM
Hey there Fellas,

Speaking of cheap knock off HF lathes. I get mine tomorrow night. Would anyone have any idea or quick tips on how to wire a reverse switch into it? Thanks

Jim Becker
03-03-2005, 8:32 PM
Speaking of cheap knock off HF lathes. I get mine tomorrow night. Would anyone have any idea or quick tips on how to wire a reverse switch into it?
Barry, I don't believe you can do a reverse switch on the 34706. Some induction motors can be reversed; others cannot. But call HFT and ask their technical support department if the motor is compatible with reversing.

Barry Horner
03-03-2005, 8:52 PM
Ok Jim,

Thanks I will do that.

Fred Floyd
03-08-2005, 11:52 PM
I was shopping for a lathe for about 6 months and considered everything from the Jet 1236 on up. I finally purchased about a month ago. Woodcraft had several lathes in stock from the Jet Mini up to the Powermatic. A Oneway was available, but not in stock. The large Oneway was way out of my price range. I looked at the Jet 1236, Jet 1442, Nova 3000, Jet 1642 and the Powermatic. The Powermatic at $2700 was larger than I had space for. (The wife wants to park her car in the garage). The Jet 1236 and 1442 are not really variable speed, just a belt setup. That left the Jet 1642 and the Nova. The Jet is 220v 2hp (a 1.5hp is also available). Both have motors that put out significant power, but I'm partial to 220v and my interests are more for spindles and legs than bowls. The Nova in its standard configuration really only has 24" capacity though an extension is available. The Nova doesn't have a stand. You must build one. Both came in at about $1995, but the Nova needed an extension ($150) and a stand (probably $150-200 depending on how fancy).

Anyway, I ended up with the Jet 1642-2hp. That is one smooth machine.

Ken Salisbury
03-09-2005, 4:56 AM
Anyway, I ended up with the Jet 1642-2hp. That is one smooth machine.

It sure is ! ! ! every time I go to the shop I hug mine and give it a gentle pat on the tailstock. http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/smiley2.gif