PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Advice on a Small Older Lathe

Ken Frohnert
11-03-2011, 7:10 AM
I would like to try turning. I came across this small older lathe (no motor) for sale about an hour from my home. I believe it is an older Walker Turner at least I think - any thoughts. With like 8" of swing. It is not very long which is good. I like older tools and have a old King-Seely Drill Press and a older PM joiner. I know very little right now about lathes but I though it may work well for small things - pens ornaments, small bowls, to learn turning on. Maybe easier to use than a bigger lathe or at least less intimidating!

It looks like this little lathe is in decent shape from the pictures - and maybe pretty complete it has the tool rests and a face plate. Here is are two pictures.211808211807 However, it looks like it was/is set up for a flat belt with that huge 3 step pulley attached on the head stock. Was this the correct pulley seems large? Can I use a modern V-belt on that? Could this be converted to a modern v-belt and if so would it be hard to get a part to do that with? What would I need to do that with?

Also, from the way the head stock is set up I guess you would mount the motor behind the lathe vs. below (which is a disadvantage because it takes more space)? What size motor
would you need like a 1/2 hp 1725?

Is there any other parts I should check for - I suspect parts may be hard to find for this lathe?

Is there any other disadvantages to this vintage lathe vs a newer one? I just think some of these older tools were made better than the new overseas produced ones and I like the
fact it has a history.

Thanks,
K

John Keeton
11-03-2011, 7:32 AM
The stories that thing could tell!! Ken, my concerns would be only three speeds, no idea of what thread/spindle size, and the added expense of getting the parts to make it functional. You would need some form of motor mount that would permit belt/pulley changes left and right, as well as the motor and a flat belt that would fit. You would also need to remove the large faceplate to determine if any accessories are available for the spindle - chucks, etc. At this point, you don't know if the spindle is morse taper, and what size. You don't mention price, but if it is super cheap and you just like to tinker, it could be a fun project. As for wanting to turn on it, it isn't my cup of tea. For less than $600 you can have a midi lathe with reverse, variable speed and a full horse of motor for which you can easily obtain accessories. In the turning world, the lathe is often the smallest part of the game - it is the accessories that end up being expensive.

Roger Chandler
11-03-2011, 7:38 AM
+1 on what John just said........why do this when for around $550 you can have a much much better lathe with all the features and do bigger things to boot........not to mention the immediate gratification of an operable machine.

Of course if restoring old machines is your thing..........well, you probably will be a good while before you can turn, assuming you can actually get parts to make it work.

Olaf Vogel
11-03-2011, 7:50 AM
Hi Ken,

I recently went through the effort of restoring an old lathe and learned a few things along the way. If you enjoy the challenge of restoring, then it could be a fun project.

However, newer lathes certainly have improvements which may make your turning more enjoyable. ex.
- this one has a fixed or "dead" center in the tail stock, rather than live.
- 3 speeds - you could use a 3 phase motor and a VFD, but that adds a lot of cost.
- check that the threads on the spindle are common, or at least available.
- looks like Babbitt bearings, check they are tight and still smooth. (Mine are almost 100 years old still fine.)

There are many other improvements on newer lathes. And getting and older unit to the same standard could involve custom made parts or jury rigging.
However, if you just want to try turning and can cheaply mount a used motor, then there's likely very little wrong with this and could provide you years of fun. I really enjoy mine.
(and you can always sell it later if you want something else.
:0)

Olaf

Will Winder
11-03-2011, 7:54 AM
I'll be a voice against reason and say I'm using a Duro brand lathe from the 1940's and it works great :). The only issue I had with it is the headstock thread has an uncommon thread size. You can order just about any adapter at bestwoodtools.com but they aren't cheap.

You can get the step pulleys from McMaster, or maybe just turn v-grooves in the flat belts.

It looks like the one you're looking at comes with metal working accessories so it is probably a solid machine if you have the energy to get it running and the price is right.

Dennis Ford
11-03-2011, 9:10 AM
This is a very heavy and sturdy machine for its size. It appears to be capable of metal turning as well as wood turning. If the price is right, you could have some fun with it. If you would rather turn than tinker with machinery, buy a new lathe. I have a metal lathe with similar flat pulleys, but it came with a matching idler pulley. I found that a automotive type multi-rib belt turned inside out works well on flat pulleys. A 1/2 hp motor will be adequate for this lathe, get one with 1150 rpm speed if possible.

Ken Frohnert
11-03-2011, 8:17 PM
I appreciate everyone's opinions. I decided I would go take a look see, however, before I could get that set up the lathe sold. So still looking I really would like to find some older iron to restore and use. I love the thought that the lathe has been used and like to think about what it may have made or who used it and enjoyed it. I feel the same about many old tools - hammers etc.

Roy Turbett
11-03-2011, 9:50 PM
Ken-

If you're interested in both restoring a quality old machine and turning I recommend looking for a Powermatic 90. These were in continuous production from 1955 to 1998 and were very popular in schools. They fell out of favor with many turners because the speed is controlled with a mechanical reeves drive as opposed to an electronic variable frequency drive. However, the standard motor on the PM 90 is a 1 HP 3 phase motor that can easily be converted to single phase by adding a variable frequency drive for about $150.00. Some parts are getting hard to find, especially the tool banjo and tailstock. The bottom line is look for one that is complete. You can replace the spindle bearings and lower reeves bearings for under $100. In 1997 the list price on the PM 90 was $4700. I just bought a 1955 PM 90 in very rough condition but will all the parts for $150 which is the value of the scrap metal. Last winter I bought a complete 1980 PM 90 for $500. I raised the head and tailstock 3 inches on this lathe and can turn 15" bowls without a toolrest extension and 18" with one.

Powermatic also made the model 45 which is another quality machine but not quite as beefy as the model 90. Doug Morgan did an excellent job rebuilding one and documented his progress on this site. You might want to check it out. I documented my rebuild at this link http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93949