View Full Version : PC890 a Challenge to remove from fixed base.

Greg Peterson
11-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Is it me or is it ridiculously difficult to removed the 890 from the fixed base after it has been mounted under a top?I blow it out with air, move it a little bit, blow it out some more, move it a little more, blast it with air, move it again.....Do any of the routers you guys use give you this much problem when trying to remove it from the base?Th bases for the 890 have been nothing less than a series of disappointments. Hopefully there is a different setup out there that doesn't require three hands to remove the motor from the base.

Larry Edgerton
11-03-2011, 6:44 AM
Buy a shaper......:p

Larry

Gary Pennington
11-03-2011, 6:45 AM
WD-40 or other penetrating oil

Jerome Hanby
11-03-2011, 7:12 AM
My Hitachi is easy to remove from the fixed base that's attached to a table saw wing. It's the thread on type of mounting system. Hard to accurately adjust the depth of cut, but easy to remove and attach to the base...

Mike Henderson
11-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I had the same problem. Swarf gets caught in the channels between the motor and the base and makes it difficult to get the motor out. I used compressed air to blow out the area but still have to work it a lot to get the motor out (blow air, fiddle with the motor in and out, blow air, etc. until it finally comes out). I finally bought a lift so I don't have that problem any more.

Mike

Don Wacker
11-03-2011, 11:22 AM
I think once you start putting all the fancy adjusters and things like that under a table its bound to have issues. The PC 7518's are about as basic as it gets and never has any issues.

Don

Mike Metz
11-03-2011, 1:22 PM
i have the same router with the same issue, well had the same issue. I lightly sanded the motor casing with 320 grit paper, then hit it with wd40 and have not had an issue since

Neil Brooks
11-03-2011, 2:09 PM
I did more or less what Mike did (IIRC, used 600 grit....), but ... eventually ... used it as 'justification' to upgrade to a router lift ;)

Greg Peterson
11-03-2011, 8:44 PM
Thanks guys. Router lift is not in the budget. I am thinking about slightly rounding the edges on the nipples that ride in the channels. This won't relieve the problem but my hope is that it will make it marginally easier to evacuate the particles from the channel that cause the jamming to occur.

Larry Edgerton
11-04-2011, 7:02 AM
Greg

I don't use a router table much, and when I do I use a 7518 and have not had a problem but....

I do on occasion get a PC router that gets something embedded in the aluminum, a grain of sand or a metal shaving and it gets difficult to turn. I will feel the router motor to see if the burr is in the motor and if it is remove it and smooth it with fine sandpaper. If it is in the base I do the same and then use a cylinder hone to smooth out the inside of the base. I then spray with TopeCote.

The problem is probably not in the pins, but in the aluminum. I don't have an 890, but the pins on my older PC's [Pre-Dewalt]do have a slight chamfer on the end of the pins.

It would be hard to make a shield that did not interfere with the airflow through the motor. Maybe you can rig up an undertable dust collection port to pull the shavings away from the motor? An O-ring?

Larry