PDA

View Full Version : Considering a new lathe with the current 20% off Jet sale

David Brimm
11-02-2011, 3:04 PM
I've noticed that Jet is currently running a 20% off sale on their lathes and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 1642-2 EVS. It seems to get great reviews from everyone and would be a definite improvement from my Jet 1014-EVS obviously.

Woodcraft and Craft Supplies USA are both offering the 2HP version for $2,079 + free shipping. I haven't been following prices recently, is this as good a deal as it seems? Is there any benefit to order from one vendor or another considering that both seem to ship the lathe straight from the manufacturer?

Jon Nuckles
11-02-2011, 3:09 PM
A lot of people here recommend ToolNut, so you may want to check their price. Also, Craft Supplies may give you a lower price over the phone than they advertise, and they also match the lowest advertised price from any other vendor. I got a great price from Craft Supplies on a PM3520, and they have great customer communication (haven't needed any customer "service").

Roger Chandler
11-02-2011, 3:10 PM
Try talking to Sean at ToolNut.......sometimes he can beat the others.............many on the SMC forum have gotten much better deals from them and great service.

John Keeton
11-02-2011, 3:24 PM
For what it is worth, when we have had contests in the Turning Forum, ToolNut has always been an avid supporter. The Delta I owned before, and the Jet 1642-2 I now have were purchased from them.

David Brimm
11-02-2011, 3:24 PM
Thanks for the ToolNut suggestion, their site doesn't mention they're taking part in the sale but I sent them an email to ask anyways.

I have also had great customer service from Craft Supplies Jon but have never bought equipment from them. Woodcraft is currently on my no buy-list so I'd prefer another vendor if possible, though not to the point of paying hundreds of dollars more. ;)

So, any price chasers out there that can tell me if this is a good deal or not?

David Brimm
11-02-2011, 3:27 PM
For what it is worth, when we have had contests in the Turning Forum, ToolNut has always been an avid supporter. The Delta I owned before, and the Jet 1642-2 I now have were purchased from them.

Thanks John, I've always been very happy with the service I've recieved from them (ToolNut) in the past.. hopefully they come back to my email with a similar price + free shipping like the other vendors.

Now all I need is for one of these companies to have a 'customer service therapist' or some such to call up my wife and convince her that this is something I really do need and all the great reasons she should totally go for it!

Derek Gilmer
11-02-2011, 3:27 PM
By amazon's pricing it is as cheap as the lathe has been since Nov 2010:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/708360-JWL-1642EVS-2-Electronic-Woodworking-2-Horsepower/product/B00064NGRO?active=summary&cpf[]=amazon&cpf[]=new

Gotta love the camel for deal tracking.

David Brimm
11-02-2011, 3:29 PM
By amazon's pricing it is as cheap as the lathe has been since Nov 2010:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/708360-JWL-1642EVS-2-Electronic-Woodworking-2-Horsepower/product/B00064NGRO?active=summary&cpf[]=amazon&cpf[]=new

Gotta love the camel for deal tracking.

Awesome! Now that's something I can show the accountant wife! Thanks!

Derek Gilmer
11-02-2011, 3:37 PM
Awesome! Now that's something I can show the accountant wife! Thanks!

No problem. Been shopping for mini lathes. Lot of time checking price history so it comes as second nature.

David Brimm
11-02-2011, 4:11 PM
I don't know what kind of mini you're looking for Derek but I've had great luck with my Jet 1014-EVS.. it's been a great little machine and I still use it almost daily I'm just ready to add something with larger capacity to my shop.

Derek Gilmer
11-02-2011, 4:12 PM
I don't know what kind of mini you're looking for Derek but I've had great luck with my Jet 1014-EVS.. it's been a great little machine and I still use it almost daily I'm just ready to add something with larger capacity to my shop.

The jet 1220evs and delta 46-460 are my top two choices right now.

Josh Bowman
11-02-2011, 6:43 PM
Thanks for the ToolNut suggestion, their site doesn't mention they're taking part in the sale but I sent them an email to ask anyways.

You gotta call them and ask for Sean, their website is kind of lacking, but the phone service is great.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-02-2011, 7:49 PM
That's a good deal. I got mine from Sean at Tool Nut also..... I think that's what I paid a year ago.

Steve Schlumpf
11-02-2011, 10:25 PM
The Jet 1642-2 EVS is a great lathe! You will love it!

If you want your accountant to really get an idea of the different options out there for lathes with a larger capacity, then show her the Powermatic 3520B, the Stubby 750, the Oneway 1640 and the Robust American Beauty.

$2079 and free shipping is a great deal! I bought mine exactly 5 years ago this week and it cost me $1850 for the lathe and $150 for shipping and I thought I got a deal then!

David Brimm
11-03-2011, 2:15 PM
The Jet 1642-2 EVS is a great lathe! You will love it!

If you want your accountant to really get an idea of the different options out there for lathes with a larger capacity, then show her the Powermatic 3520B, the Stubby 750, the Oneway 1640 and the Robust American Beauty.

$2079 and free shipping is a great deal! I bought mine exactly 5 years ago this week and it cost me $1850 for the lathe and $150 for shipping and I thought I got a deal then!

Thanks for the feedback guys.. now to deal with the accountant wife. :-) I tried pointing out last night that since I really want the Robust American this would be a good compromise and save us tons of money.. I just got 'that look' in response lol.

By the way Sean at ToolNut did it again, he came back to me with a price of.. well.. I don't want to publicly publish his exact price so lets just say low-to-mid $1900 including all the shipping/residential/liftgate, etc! Looks like I'll by buying from them for sure.. assuming I can crack the wife-nut.

Jon Nuckles
11-04-2011, 8:19 AM
David, Good luck getting the wife to crack, but I have found that calling my wife a nut is not the best way to win her favor!

David Brimm
11-04-2011, 1:00 PM
The Nut has cracked, I repeat The Nut has cracked! :D

Now I just have to overcome my resistance to spending so much money and call Sean at Tool Nut before she can change her mind!

Oh, also I told her I would sell the Jet 1014 EVS since she was looking opposed to being a 3-lathe family.

Thanks!

David Brimm
11-04-2011, 3:56 PM
Just wanted to update the thread here and let everyone know that I went ahead and ordered the lathe from Sean at Tool Nut. He gave me a delivered price of $1909!

Now I just need to figure out where to put this beast when it arrives... ;)

Steve Schlumpf
11-04-2011, 4:10 PM
Congrats on your new lathe! Looking forward to the photos!!

Roger Chandler
11-04-2011, 5:34 PM
Just wanted to update the thread here and let everyone know that I went ahead and ordered the lathe from Sean at Tool Nut. He gave me a delivered price of $1909!

Now I just need to figure out where to put this beast when it arrives... ;)

Woo hoooo! Happy happy, joy joy! :D:D;)

David Brimm
11-04-2011, 5:36 PM
Woo hoooo! Happy happy, joy joy! :D:D;)

Happy Happy, joy joy indeed!

Josh Bowman
11-04-2011, 6:33 PM
He gave me a delivered price of $1909! Told you, you gotta talk with Sean. That is a real bargain! 1 1/2 years ago, I got mine for $1929 delivered. You done good.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-04-2011, 8:59 PM
Wow, congrats. That's cheaper than I got mine I think. You'll love the lathe. BUT why sell the mini? I still use mine.

Rich Aldrich
11-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Congrats! You will really like this lathe. I have the 1 1/2 HP model. Steve Schlumpf demonstrated his for me and I was sold. I had to sell my trap gun to buy my lathe. My wife was not impressed with all of the extra costs for a chuck, tools, and accessories.

David Brimm
11-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Wow, congrats. That's cheaper than I got mine I think. You'll love the lathe. BUT why sell the mini? I still use mine.

The wife was totally unreasonable about my keeping the mini if I got the new one. She got that 'wife' look and started suggesting totally loony things like "maybe you should sell your metal lathe then" and "so you're keeping both lathes and NOT upgrading your bandsaw this year" and so on. I knew then that I needed to quit while I was ahead and quickly agreed that the mini could go.. :rolleyes: