PDA

View Full Version : storing butcher-block

Paul Macias
11-02-2011, 1:39 PM
I'm building a bench but am at the design stage still. However, Woodcraft put their prefab maple butcher-block on sale (30%), so I bought a 24X60 piece for my bench top. It's still on its way, but I'm wondering how I should store the butcher-block. Would it be alright on my lumber racks in my shop? I live in the central valley in northern CA, and it's going to get moist soon. I bet it won't even come to me perfectly flat, but I don't want it to get too weird by the time I'm finally bolting it to the base. Any suggestions?

Brian Tymchak
11-02-2011, 5:05 PM
I would store that bench top on edge on a couple of blocks to keep it off the floor. It has far more strength to resist sag on edge than on the flat. If you have them, a couple of 4x4 blocks would be good to allow more air gap between the bench top and the floor.

Bill White
11-02-2011, 6:19 PM
"Perfectly flat" is a dream at best. Don't get too tangled up in that dimension 'till ya get the base built. I'll betcha that the top will have a finish that will keep any extreme moisture from invading the top. My benchtop is a piece of bowling alley that I rescued from the dumpster. I set it up, adjusted to the base (shop made), drilled the dog holes, added the vices, and have been using ever since with just infrequent sanding and shellacing/waxing.
It is just my opinion that too many workers get obsessed with dimension rather than the end product. Oh well......
Keep the top stock in the environment in which it will "live" (that ain't an error 'cause it will move over time), build the base, add the top, and enjoy.
You said that you were bolting it to the base. Wanna expand on that statement?
Bill

Kent A Bathurst
11-02-2011, 7:01 PM
I would store that bench top on edge on a couple of blocks to keep it off the floor.

Yep. I'd use more blocks than Brian [like 12" OC], but that's being picky. Not propped up against a wall - you want air movement all around.

Jaromir Svoboda
11-02-2011, 10:22 PM
I bought 30 x 60,its flat and finished on all sides.