PDA

View Full Version : The view from here.......

Arnie Grammon
03-03-2005, 10:04 AM
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albus48/Pontoon_Boat_013.sized.jpg
We had lunch here last Friday while doing some vegetation recon.

This is taken at the confluence of the Snake and Powder Rivers in east Baker County, Oregon. The Seven Devils range in Idaho is the snow-covered range in the background. For perspective, that dot in between the two ATV's is an old Sheepherders cabin. We are about a mile away from the river. This is Big Country

It was even prettier than it looks.

Arnie

Bob Hovde
03-03-2005, 10:27 AM
There'd be some great views in the East, also, if it weren't for all of those trees! :rolleyes:

Bob

Steve Knowlton
03-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Thats Why Oregon Is Called Gods Country. Can Not Beat The View.

Rob Russell
03-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Huh - I woulda figured it'd be all white. Don't get much snow? Is it more rain?

Jeff Sudmeier
03-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Wow, you have me longing to get back out in big country! It is amazing how you can motor on an ATV at 40 MPH and not cover any ground.

Mike Tempel
03-03-2005, 12:38 PM
WOW, I have got to get one of those ATV's.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2005, 1:21 PM
Rob....the 7 Devils are about 100 miles south of me. We haven't had our normal snow fall in several years. IIRC we had about 8 years of drought with little snowfall and one year of normal snow fall. Then we reverted back to drought conditions. Generally speaking, when California is getting hit with a lot of rain in the winter, we are in drought conditions to the North. It could be a long, hot, dry summer with a lot of forest fires? I hope not! But.....the views are spectacular!

Arnie Grammon
03-03-2005, 2:52 PM
Rob

Ken summarized it well........it has been way to dry in this area for the last 10 years or so. This year is particularly bad, with very little snowpack to carry irrigators and other water users through the summer. Fires could be bad too, although the "fine fuels" (dried grasses and forbs) will not be as abundant with less moisture available, so it may not be as bad as some are saying.

The eastern two-thirds of Oregon is considered near-desert like, while the west side getting the majority of the rain and the well-deserved reputation for being extremely wet.

Oregon is extremely diverse climatically....incredible differences from one side of the state to the other. Baker County is on the extreme east side of the State, and gets relatively little moisture (4 to 25") compared to the wet, west side of the state (35 - 80" +).

HTH

Arnie

Jerry Olexa
03-03-2005, 3:22 PM
Spectacular country. Pics like that make me wonder why I live in (near) the big city! Great shot!!

Erin Stringer
03-03-2005, 8:13 PM
WOW! After 8 years in Ohio I still miss the west when I see pictures like this. That looks absolutely wonderful.