PDA

View Full Version : Weekend's incomplete project(pic)

Bill Esposito
04-21-2003, 7:49 PM
Hey all,

Unlike some who posted, I used this past weekend to start a project rather than finish one.

I'm making a Shaker style-like sofa table for my daughter. The leg and apron is white birch which will eventually be painted with a light pumpkin colored milk paint while the top and dovetailed drawer fronts will be cherry. While the color combo doesnt sound great it looks quite nice with my daughters decor. The dimensions of the table are 41 long by 12 wide and 29 high.

http://cerealport.net/woodworking/sofatable3.jpg

Dave Avery
04-21-2003, 8:31 PM
Hi Bill,

Nice start on the sofa table..... color/cherry combo sounds interesting. Please post completed pics. Dave.

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-22-2003, 10:01 AM
After scrutinizing it for a minute to analyze your construction techniques, I must say that it is very nice. I must, I must.
Did you make the grain go long ways in the pieces between the drawer openings?
:cool:

Bill Esposito
04-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Daniel Rabinovitz
Did you make the grain go long ways in the pieces between the drawer openings? Daniel

Thanks. Yes the grain runs the same way as the rest of the piece. The pieces between the drawer openings are actually from another board because the stock I had was not wide enough to just rip it and glue it back together again. If the piece was going to be stained instead of painted I would have assured that those pieces would be taken from the riped out section at exactly the spot where they were to be replaced. Then, provided it was jointed properly, you wouldnt even noticed that it was a glue-up.

By the way the joinery for the face utilized #10 and #ff biscuts while the apron to leg joinery is mortise and tenon.

Lars Thomas
04-22-2003, 1:05 PM
Looks like you're off to a great start. Nice and clean lines - that's the beautiful thing about Shaker. I think the Pumpkin and cherry will look nice together. Like Dave said, it'll be great to see the completed pics. Lars

Bill Esposito
04-22-2003, 3:27 PM
Originally posted by Lars Thomas
I think the Pumpkin and cherry will look nice together. Like Dave said, it'll be great to see the completed pics. Lars Lars,
Actually I'm making this piece as a companion to two lamp tables I made for her over the summer. The Shaker style is easy for a beginner and since we live in old New England houses (mine was built in 1767) it fits the decor. Here's the lamp tables and the pumpkin (actually 50% white and pumpkin) which will show the color contrast
http://cerealport.net/woodworking/finishedLT1.jpg

Bill Esposito
04-22-2003, 3:34 PM
By the way, while I'm thinking of it. I made a simple modification to my cheapo $10 aluminum tapering jig which made all the difference in the world. I took a piece of hardboard and double-stick taped it to the bottom of the jig rail which runs up against the fence. This turned the jig into a sled and allowed me to put tape on both the hardboard and the other rail so that the leg was firmly secured to the jig for cutting...what a difference from the last time I use the jig.