PDA

View Full Version : question for you oil stone users out there

Jeff Ranck
11-02-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm wondering what you guys do just after sharpening to your stones. With waterstones, it would be easy to take them to the sink and rinse them to get all the metal particles off. With oilstones, what do you do?

I've traditionally just used a clean rag to wipe off the oil and any metal filings. However, doesn't work so well on a med. india stone - wants to leave bits of cloth behind on the stone. Now I'm wondering if I've been doing it wrong.

On the same note, how often do you do something like a wash/clean, if at all. I've done that to rehabilitate an old stone, but not once they are working again.

Jeff.

Paul Incognito
11-02-2011, 5:23 AM
I do the same as you, Jeff. I just wipe it down with a rag.
I read an article by Bob Smalser where he said he keeps some stones soaking in kerosene. That seems like it would do the trick.

Paul

Zach Dillinger
11-02-2011, 6:45 AM
I use paper towel to wipe down the stones. It doesn't seem to leave junk behind on the stone. I don't rub the stone too hard, though. The paper towel really sucks up the old used oil.

James Taglienti
11-02-2011, 7:45 AM
Maybe a different rag would work. After i sharpen i give the stone a couple shots of wd40 and then just blot it with an old hand towel that i smuggled from the house

Jeff Schmidt
11-03-2011, 2:16 PM
I keep my Arkansas stones clean using Comet (or similar cleanser), water and a soft brush. I rinse with water and pad dry with a towel. I don't do this after every use, unless I am sharpening a number of items. Otherwise, I just wipe them with kerosene, which is what I use as a lubricant.

David Weaver
11-03-2011, 5:50 PM
paper towel. It's OK if the india isn't perfect, as long as there aren't big bits of metal on it leaving deep scratches.