PDA

View Full Version : Jel

Joe Landon
11-01-2011, 10:39 PM

Cherry hollow form; carved and textured.

David E Keller
11-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Neat effect, Joe! From the thumbnail, it almost looking like a woven form. Part of me want to see the bottom tapered a bit more, but that's a tiny nit.

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2011, 10:59 PM
I like the burlap look of that one.

Norm Zax
11-02-2011, 8:50 AM
Very earthy and native! I like. Hand carved? With which tool?

Jim Burr
11-02-2011, 8:52 AM
Looks like clay or pottery, this really shows a lot of effort!

Steve Schlumpf
11-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Interesting effect! I have seen something similar in native pottery, accomplished by rolling a dried ear of corn over the surface! Pretty cool!

Joe Landon
11-02-2011, 10:46 PM
That would be an interesting technique, Steve. I love Native American pottery.

Steve Schlumpf
11-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Joe, I was fortunate enough to meet a true expert in the field of Native American pottery, Ed Gray. He lives in Calumet, MI and teaches pottery classes in the old ways, as he was taught. Dig fire pit, use all natural elements to create texture, color, etc. Have thought about taking classes but love the woodturning way to much! Still, I love the forms and learn something new all the time!

Joe Landon
11-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Interesting. My first love was for pottery. I recently got into wood turning because I thought it would be less expensive to get up and running than with ceramics. I am not sure it turned out that way. Especially when you figure the cost of quality tools.

I have several professional potters in my area willing to share their studios with me. I have avoided them so far but my desire grows. I know myself too well. I will be sucked into that vortex so fast. I have too many unfinished wooden dreams to pursue first.

One of my fondest memories from Millikin University was salt firing my vessels. The vapors and exhaust were so strong that the fire department showed up every time.

Norm Zax
11-03-2011, 4:03 AM
Ceramics and turning are indeed close arts, both molding the most natural materials into esthetic shapes, both relying on turning the material to achieve round and usually symetrical designs, both leaving waste in their wake, dirty hands and a big grin. Pottery is much safer though. Hmmmm....

Joe Landon
11-03-2011, 3:14 PM
Very similar except one is additive and the other is subtractive. I wonder if there is a way to combine the two?

Jim Burr
11-03-2011, 4:02 PM
I've seen many Joe. Half and half’s...both horizontal and vertical, segmented pottery with wood inserts, lots of permutations!