PDA

View Full Version : Joe Landon Blitz

David DeCristoforo
11-01-2011, 9:55 PM
No way I'm gonna reply to all those posts so I'll just lump it into one and say "Nice stuff, Joe."

David E Keller
11-01-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm just excited that we've found someone that actually turns stuff out faster than Kathy!:eek::D:D

Joe Landon
11-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys. I apologize if the number of posts are overwhelming. It was pointed out earlier that I have not been as active here as I could be. I wanted to introduce myself and my body of work to the Sawmill Creek community that is not familiar with me. I hope to earn credibility through showing rather than telling. I enjoy and appreciate this forum. I hope to contribute more in the future.

Bob Bergstrom
11-01-2011, 11:25 PM
That's it, this site is now the Joe Landon turning site. I lost count trying to count the posts. And yes I'm totally jealous. Great pieces Joe. Don't wait so long to post such gorgeous stuff. Thanks for posting them and can't wait to see more.

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Joe you have been a turning machine. All of those were extremely nice pieces.

Scott Hackler
11-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Great bunch of work Joe. I just got done watching your video and realized at the end that I had seen it before! Still, a great video and your tool presentation is very good and you make it look easy. Thanks for sharing your work.

Marty Eargle
11-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Been and admirer of your work for a while now and these works are no exception to your great skill and eye!

And I agree with Scott, your Youtube clip is invaluable...just wish it wasn't limited to one. Though I can't be sure I'd show many of my secrets either if my work were up to your caliber.

Kathy Marshall
11-02-2011, 1:04 AM
What a great collection of turnings! Every time I saw one that might be my favorite, I would see another "favorite" All very nice, but the dyed pieces and the matte black carved pieces are especially nice!

I'm just excited that we've found someone that actually turns stuff out faster than Kathy!:eek::D:D
Oh nooo :eek: I've been de-throned! But even if I was turning stuff out faster, I'm not even in the same ballpark with Joe's quality!

Jerry Wright
11-02-2011, 5:30 AM
Joe:

Some post about their tools, instead of turn with them.
Others let their tools speak through their turnings.

You have now earned the right to one un-moderated review of a tool - as long as you select from the approved list of manufacturers!:)

You have just posted a wonderful, creative body of work . I would say that you certainly are in tune with your medium as well as tools. Keep sharing - pieces as well as methods.

Jerry

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-02-2011, 6:48 AM
My hyper imagination sees someone capturing Joe and locking him away in a dungeon with provisions, a lathe and lots of turning blanks and tells him he won't be allowed back into the daylight until he has created a wealth of wonderful hollow forms. Welcome back to the light Joe. Nice work.
faust

Roger Chandler
11-02-2011, 8:05 AM
Joe,

All the pieces you posted are first class all the way............just wanted to acknowledge your work, and it has been a while since I have seen some of your pieces, but they do speak of your skill and creativity.

Cathy Schaewe
11-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Wish I'd seen this thread before I started posting on the individual forms!
Joe, I discovered your tutorial on dying forms quite a while ago, and it's my bible on that subject. I just need more practice. You do such an amazing job on the dye, though, that it's easy to overlook the fact that the forms are so consistently stunning. Thanks for posting - it's inspirational.

Dan Hintz
11-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Anyone care to point to the dying tutorial?

Jim Underwood
11-02-2011, 1:19 PM
Dan,
Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it when you get there... ;)

charlie knighton
11-02-2011, 1:58 PM
nice forms

Jon Nuckles
11-02-2011, 2:31 PM
Dan, If I recall correctly, it is on the Lumberjocks site, and you don't have to join to view it. Joe posts under "trifern" there, and you can search for it. If there is another tutorial that anyone knows of, I'd love to see it also. Jon

Ryan Baker
11-02-2011, 8:44 PM
All wonderful pieces Joe.

Curt Fuller
11-02-2011, 9:02 PM
Joe, I've loved your work for some time. Thanks for posting here and welcome to the Creek.

Dennis Ford
11-02-2011, 9:26 PM
Lots of great hollow forms with a nice variety of surface treatments.

Steve Schlumpf
11-02-2011, 9:57 PM
Been waiting for you to break the ice and start sharing some of your work! This is a few more than anticipated but beautiful work and it lets everyone know what kind of work you do!

Thanks for posting!

Cody Colston
11-02-2011, 11:03 PM
I hope to earn credibility through showing rather than telling.

Thank you, Joe. On all woodworking forums, there are those who only give advice but never provide evidence, via their own work, that their advice is sound. They are certainly not credible IMHO.

You, on the other hand, have certainly established your credibility with
the pics of those astounding pieces. Thanks for showing them and rest assured that I will pay attention to any advice you offer.

Dan Hintz
11-03-2011, 6:50 AM
The process seems deceptively "simple"... I know I'll find some deceptively simple way to screw it up, too.

Todd Bin
11-03-2011, 9:26 AM
Joe, I discovered your tutorial on dying forms quite a while ago, and it's my bible on that subject.

Would someone be so kind as to point me in the direction of the dying tutorial?

Thanks,
Todd

Russell Eaton
11-03-2011, 9:47 AM
Joe I spent a a little time looking at your work on LJ and it is ALL great. One question, have you tried the captive hollowing systems, or do just freehand everything? Thanks for posting on this forum, your work is amazing!

Scott Hackler
11-03-2011, 10:06 AM
I also have a question. I am assuming the wood in that video was green. Do you turn, hollow, dry and return to the lathe or just turn your vessels to the shape and thickness you desire and wait for it to dry before finishing?

Keith Outten
11-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Gentlemen,

I would like to remind everyone that you cannot use links to Blogs or to any other woodworking Forums here. This policy is in our Terms of Service and the reason for it is spelled out in our Frequently Asked Questions thread in our Support Forum.

Joe Landon
11-03-2011, 3:09 PM
Thanks again for all the nice comments. I turn all my vessels from start to finish on the lathe using green wood. If you turn consistantly thin walls they will not crack. If I am going to carve the piece, I will leave the walls thicker but still of even thickness. The thicker vessels get put into paper bags to allow slower, more even drying. All the fiish sanding is done by hand, with the grain, off the lathe.

If anyone would like more information about my dyeing process, send me a pm.