PDA

View Full Version : Saw Handles

Mark Schreiber
11-01-2011, 9:00 PM
I collect antique tools and have accumulated quite a few backsaws. My question concerns the handles. Some are open and some are closed. Are these handles just a matter of user preference or do different saws have different handles. Such as, are tenon saws closed handles and dovetail saws open handles?

The reason I ask is that it appears that most of my saws are well used and were probably resharpened several times. I wish to restore each to its intended purpose. I have a couple that are sharpened with rip teeth for tenons/dovetails and some are sharpened with crosscut teeth for shoulder cutting.

Thanks...Mark Schreiber

James Owen
11-02-2011, 1:01 AM
Mark,

Smaller back saws, such as dovetail and carcass saws, generally tend to have open pistol grip type handles, while larger back saws, such as tenon saws, generally tend to have closed handles. There is some overlap -- generally in the smaller direction -- with some dovetail saws having closed handles. And there are also the dovetail/carcass-saw sized saws that have straight handles, often referred to as "Gent's Saws" or "Gentlemen's Saws."

All of the backsaw sizes can be found with either type of teeth (rip and crosscut) filed on them, making them readily usable for ripping or cross-cutting operations; which one you would choose would depend, at least in part, on the scale of work being done. On the other hand, many people like a larger saw, even for smaller scale work, because it tends to balance better, give a better feel for "vertical", and cuts faster -- both because of the larger teeth and the longer saw plate.

Traditionally, the "appropriate" saw would be used for that function (tenon, dovetail, carcass, etc), but when it comes right down to it, which size saw to use is in large part a matter of personal preference: to take an extreme example, if you do your best and most accurate sawing work with an 18" long rip tenon saw, then that saw might well be the best one for you to use in cutting tiny dovetails as well, simply because you are used to it, know exactly what the saw will do, and can precisely control it....

YMMV

Jim Matthews
11-02-2011, 8:43 AM
I think the design follows the function - an open handle might provide more clearance near the work surface of your bench.
There should also be less force exerted on smaller stock, so the balance can be "tipped" by taking weight off the handle.

I'm surprised how much the balance of a saw matters, when cutting for more than a few minutes.

Jim Koepke
11-02-2011, 1:33 PM
Mark,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't indicate your location. What part of the world is your home?

Like so many things saw handles developed over time. Different people in different trades preferred different styles.

In the 19th century, tool makers wanted to appeal to every niche of the various trades. The theory may have been, the more choices means they will be more likely to choose something.

If it fits my hands, I like it. If it doesn't fit my hands, it gets modified to fit.

One of my favorite saws has the horns broken off the handle. When I get the round tuit to repair that handle, I know I will like it even more.

It is amazing how much the horns on the handle contribute to the use of a saw.

jtk

Mark Schreiber
11-02-2011, 3:39 PM
Thanks for the input. I figured it was more preference than function. My hands are on the large side so many saw handles are uncomfortable. You are correct about the balance. I tend to gravitate to a couple of saws more often, probably because they "feel good."

Mike Holbrook
11-07-2011, 8:50 PM
You might check out the Wenzloff & Sons web site. They make copies and variations of many of the best old saw designs. Mike just put up a section on saw handles with actual drawings of the various handles...Wenzloff sells saws, saw kits and saw parts. You can download actual drawings of handles for various saw types, which they are making available to those who want to make a period handle to use on saw parts purchased from them. I ordered a Half-Back saw kit and I am about to order the basic parts to make a rip panel saw if I can make up my mind.

mike holden
11-08-2011, 9:05 AM
Thanks for the input. I figured it was more preference than function. My hands are on the large side so many saw handles are uncomfortable. You are correct about the balance. I tend to gravitate to a couple of saws more often, probably because they "feel good."
Mark, keep in mind that saws are designed to be gripped with three fingers and thumb, the index finger points toward the sawplate. I too have large hands and rarely find saw totes that are too small, plane totes however, rarely fit.
Mike