PDA

View Full Version : Tracksaw - can't decide between Makita and Festool

Victor Robinson
11-01-2011, 4:52 PM
In recently evaluating where my work tends to catch a snag, I figured out it was really anything having to do with plywood. Buying it. Getting it home. Moving it around the shop. And cutting it safely and accurately.

I have a few large home/honey-do projects coming up that would really benefit from a tracksaw, but I can't decide between the Festool and the Makita. Both have excellent reviews, but the Mak is $100 cheaper. Only downside I see is the lack of a riving knife, but I'm not sure how important that is cutting mostly sheet goods. I'm leaning towards the Mak with Dewalt track clamps. If one were significantly quieter than the other, that would certainly weigh heavily in my decision.

Just wanted to get any last thoughts before I pull the trigger.

For the record, I don't have any other green and I'd be using the saw with a Fein vac.

Peter Kelly
11-01-2011, 5:42 PM
Both are excellent saws but the 118" Makita track is only $175.-
http://www.toolbarn.com/makita-194367-7.html

Michael Peet
11-01-2011, 5:45 PM
I have the Festool and feel you can't really go wrong with one. That said, you will love breaking down sheet goods with the tracksaw instead of the table saw. We recently built a set of cabinets for my brother's house and this is exactly what we did. Very easy and safe. We had a couple sheets of 2" thick insulation on which we did the cutting.

Mike

Greg Visser
11-01-2011, 7:31 PM
just curious why you've ruled out the Dewalt?

Greg

Steven Wayne
11-01-2011, 7:43 PM
I love my Festool TS55, especially for breaking down full sheets.

Larry Frank
11-01-2011, 7:49 PM
I have the TS55 and love it. I must admit that I have not tried the others but know with the Festool that it will work great.

Mike Heidrick
11-01-2011, 7:52 PM
Check out the video on woodnet right now in power tool section where the guy makes cabinets on site with the festool. Pretty slick. The parallel accessory for it is pretty nice. The Mak track is a direct copy of the festool track I believe.

There have been deals on the Dewalt recently - $360 for the saw and a 59" track and $500 with the saw and both the 59" and the 102". Those are great prices.

Victor Robinson
11-01-2011, 7:55 PM
Man, lots of you guys drinking up the green kool-aid eh?

Greg - honestly I don't remember the exact reason, but there was something in a head-to-head-to-head review online that made me say "meh" on the Dewalt. It's also a little more expensive (~$30) than the Makita, generally speaking.

Chris Tsutsui
11-01-2011, 8:00 PM
I don't have any facts to back this up but I think Festool will have stable parts and service availability in the future for their track saw. (Not saying the other brands won't have good service.)

A riving knife is great if your wood has movement while you cut or if your guide rail moves...

IT is my guess that there are more TS55's out there than dewalts and Makita's combined.

So join the bandwagon. I'd pay the extra $100 just to have a festool. haha :)

Roger Jensen
11-01-2011, 8:13 PM
If resale is an issue for you, I'd go with the Festool. They rarely go on sale so you're likely to get a good price if/when you decide to sell. I'm not sure the Makita would hold its resale value as well.

Roger

phil harold
11-01-2011, 8:20 PM
just an informative article

you make the choice

http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-local/viewnew.pdf/0/724ebf35c85bb945012172ced40a8c72/www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/jlconline.storefront/4eb08acf05821aeb27190a323cb406a5

Mike Heidrick
11-01-2011, 9:02 PM
The dewalt saw's scale is in inches and factors in the rail already - a Nice feature for us not on the metric system.

Al Burton
11-01-2011, 9:49 PM
I shopped around for awhile and bought the Makita on ebay for 230ish and I have to say I like the $330 extra dollars much more than I like having a Festool. I do like the track saw and use it for breaking down sheets but still go to the table saw for the repaetive parts cuts. I guess what I am saying is that a track saw is great to have but it is not a go to all the time tool for me so why not look for a good deal and Makita makes very good tools also.

Craig Michael
11-01-2011, 10:16 PM
I have the festool and have no complaints at all. I've had it 4 or 5 years now, no issues at all. The riving knife and splinter guard on the outside for the festool are big pluses. Also, in that article, it says the makita only has an 8 ft cord. That is not enough for cutting sheet goods, that's a negative right there.

The festool and makita tracks are nearly the same. The makita has the added lip for the anti tip feature on their saw. That lip will not affect using a festool saw on the makita track. The makita track would not work with some of the accessories for festool routers, etc. without modification. All the clamps, etc. work though.

Jeff Monson
11-01-2011, 11:45 PM
I'd suggest the Festool saw also, the track saws all have similar features....but with Festool all future tools work well with their system. I have a TS75 and have had great success with it. I have added quite a few more Festool tools over the last couple years and they all work well together. Resale is also another thing to consider, Festool shines there also.

Rick Fisher
11-02-2011, 3:09 AM
The Festool is only $100 more .. Those are words you don't always hear when discussing Festool. lol

I would buy the Festool. I use Festool routers, sanders and a domino.. the idea of just being able to use the same twist plug would be enough for me..

The Festool is also made in Germany.. Which is usually well regarded..

Victor Robinson
11-02-2011, 3:33 AM
I should have known you guys would make this hard on me, lol!

The resale thing is potentially important to me. You never know if a tool may not see much use after its first few jobs are done.

The "plays nice with the Festool universe" is not so important (to me). I don't have any other Festool and don't plan on buying any others in the near future.

As prices stand right now:
Festool TS55 $525
Dewalt $435
Makita $400

$125 can buy a nice full sheet of veneered ply!

Rich Engelhardt
11-02-2011, 7:15 AM
The Festool was the only track saw I could buy from a local store @ the time I bought it.
Since being able to see, feel, taste, smell & kick the tires on something that cost that much was/is important to me, that's what I went with.

I've been 100% pleased with mine since day 1.

It's lived up to it's reputation & then some.

I'm sure that whatever way you go, you'll continue to find more uses for a track saw than you ever dreamed of.

Matt Meiser
11-02-2011, 7:39 AM
I don't know that I've seen a Makita or Dewalt for sale used. But in general Festool stuff can fetch as much as 90% of original price--no joke.

I don't use my TS55 that much, but when I do its invaluable.

Jim Matthews
11-02-2011, 8:30 AM
Try the original from Eurekazone (http://www.eurekazone.com/) - you can likely fit to your current circular saw.

Julian Tracy
11-02-2011, 8:43 AM
I'd heard in some reviews that the Makita has a bit more power than the TS55. I know that at times I wished my TS55 had a bit more of that. But for sheetgoods, I guess I've had no complaints, though cutting up doubled up 3/4" particle board for counters stresses it a bit with the standard 48 tooth blade.

The ability to lock onto the rail would be handy - the Mak has that. But I rely on on the offcut side anti-splinter to give quality cuts on both sides of the blade as well.

As for resale, the ability to buy the Mak much cheaper initially from sources like Ebay might eliminate that advantage. I know in the past, the Mak has been available with a 55" rail for $340 or so...

If you anticipate doing any ripping of solid stock I guess the riving knife would be more of an advantage. With plywood, not so much a pro or con.

I had the EZ system - problem there was finding a quality saw to mount up to it that gave perfect 90 degree cuts - most regular style saws have too much flex for perfect cuts without having to apply extra care.

Julian

Jerome Hanby
11-02-2011, 8:57 AM
I love my Festool, but before Ii found my deal on CL, I used the portable panel saw from PSI. It works with most existing circular saws (I have my Hitachi from Lowe's mounted on it). It comes with two rails that can be joined to give you enough length to cut a 4x8 piece of plywood diagonally. You can add some hardboard to the rails to give you a little backup for the blade and a visual indication of the cutting line. I still use mine from time to time and you can buy an alternate carriage and use your router in place of the saw. I paid about $100 five years ago and it's some of the best money I've ever spent.

Whatever you end up with, you might want to score a few 2x4s and some banquet table legs (think I got mine at HD for about $30) and build a cutting table. You can Google for plans/pictures. Makes slicing up a sheet of plywood easier. In my situation, it's just about the right height to sit behind my truck and allow me to slide plywood directly on to it for break down. I think some of these younger, slimmer guys put down a sheet of foam on the shop floor to do the same job, but my back and knees won't stand up (pun intended) to much of that. It will fold flat for storage against the wall, but since the 2x4s get sliced up during use, I've quit storing mine, just leave it setup in the driveway. I did add a leftover piece of plywood across the bottom to stiffen up the table a bit and give me a place to set the saw, tape measure, pencil, etc...

Jerome Hanby
11-02-2011, 9:03 AM
You know, if the Festool rails weren't so fiendishly expensive I don't think the other brands would ever have been able to get any traction....

Curtis Horswill
11-02-2011, 9:10 AM
I just went through the decision process myself and had decided on the festool, but then I found the dewalt at Tool King recondtioned for $254 with the 59" track. I got it last week and it looks like new. They still have them in stock, but the price has gone up to about $300.00 now.

http://www.toolking.com/dewalt-dws520sk-factory-reconditioned-track-saw-kit-with-59-inch-track

Derek Gilmer
11-02-2011, 9:13 AM
Here is a comparison of the Festool and Dewalt if you are interested. http://thewoodwhisperer.com/81-dewalt-tracksaw-review/

Ben Hatcher
11-02-2011, 10:26 AM
For me, the price comparison has to include 8' of guide rail. I love that the festool allows you to put the rail right on the cut line so there are no measuring mistakes. I don't really care that the depth is in metric since it is pretty easy to set that against the actual material. For $100 more, I'd buy the Festool. For $200 more, I'd probably buy the Festool. More than that and it would depend on how cheap I was feeling when I actually pulled the trigger.

Craig Michael
11-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Try the original from Eurekazone (http://www.eurekazone.com/) - you can likely fit to your current circular saw.

No one could compare that system with either the festool or Makita track saw's with a straight face. The track saws are dedicated high quality cabinet building tools, the EZ is a fancy shoot board. Regular circular saws are great for framing but you can't even come close to matching the festool's cutting quality with one.

Also, when you get into buying a circular saw then the whole EZ set up, the price is near the festool's but you still don't have even close to the quality nor ease of use.

trevor adair
11-02-2011, 12:06 PM
+1 on the Festool, I balked at it initialy for the price but bit the bullet 6 months ago when I decided to do a shop built kitchen. I also bought the MFT/3 table and I don't know if I would ever do without them now.. The good thing with the MFT is you can purchase connectors and join two rails for breaking down sheets. The riving knife is also nice because I often use the saw to put an initial edge on rough lumber, makes it real easy to get a nice edge, one pass through the jointer and you are good to go. I do use a ripping blade for this operation however as I have found the original blade can struggle ripping 8 feet of 2 1/2 in cherry :)

Greg Portland
11-02-2011, 12:37 PM
If you are going to be making finish-quality cuts then the absolute required accessory is the splinterguard. I know Festool comes with one, I'm not sure about the Makita (I don't see any in the review pictures). Without the splinterguard then plan on only making rough cuts and finishing on the table saw. All of the saws come with a splinter strip for the guide rail... I'm talking about the other side of the blade. Here's the splinterguard: http://www.amazon.com/Festool-491473-Splinterguard-Plunge-5-pack/dp/B002WHPTP0

You'll want to buy a pack of 5... I have mine labeled for different cut depths (3/4 ply, 1/2 ply, 5/8 ply, etc.).

BTW, I've quickly cut through 3/4" maple ply with the TS55... it has plenty of power for any sheet good.

Jerome Hanby
11-02-2011, 12:49 PM
There was one of those in the case with my saw and I've never looked twice at it. Thanks for the info.

If you are going to be making finish-quality cuts then the absolute required accessory is the splinterguard. I know Festool comes with one, I'm not sure about the Makita (I don't see any in the review pictures). Without the splinterguard then plan on only making rough cuts and finishing on the table saw. All of the saws come with a splinter strip for the guide rail... I'm talking about the other side of the blade. Here's the splinterguard: http://www.amazon.com/Festool-491473-Splinterguard-Plunge-5-pack/dp/B002WHPTP0

You'll want to buy a pack of 5... I have mine labeled for different cut depths (3/4 ply, 1/2 ply, 5/8 ply, etc.).

BTW, I've quickly cut through 3/4" maple ply with the TS55... it has plenty of power for any sheet good.

Mark Denovich
11-02-2011, 12:57 PM
I have the Makita and love it. It even comes in a systainer. I even use it with a Festool rail (in conjunction with a MFT 1080). Got it for $325 or $350 with rail via Amazon (and free 2day shipping thanks to the Prime membership I have with them) about 2 years ago. It's an excellent saw.

Mark Denovich
11-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Oh, and the Makita to my surprise was made in England.

Don Wacker
11-02-2011, 1:19 PM
No one could compare that system with either the festool or Makita track saw's with a straight face. The track saws are dedicated high quality cabinet building tools, the EZ is a fancy shoot board. Regular circular saws are great for framing but you can't even come close to matching the festool's cutting quality with one.

Also, when you get into buying a circular saw then the whole EZ set up, the price is near the festool's but you still don't have even close to the quality nor ease of use.

I'll probably be burned at the stake for this but I'll give my opinion anyways. :)
I tend to disagree and admit that I'm a reformed Festool adict. After owning at least one of every Festool available to the US market I can say that going back to non Festool has been very easy except for the Domino. Any saw with a stiff base with a scrap of hardboard carpet taped to the bottom will cut as clean as the TS55 or TS 75. The zero clearance rail and green thing is what makes them cut clean. A cheap 48" edge clamp with a decent worm drive skil saw will perform the same 48" cuts just as cleanly. After my shop burned I really questioned whether or not I should replace my TS75 since for years prior to owning Festool I used a little PC worm drive trim saw and did just fine. After doing my first cabinet job in my new shop just this week and using just the guide and Rigid worm drive saw, I decided that the TS75 was not the value I thought it once was. The worm drive by default has torque steer and easily keeps itself tight against a guide. Worm drives also tends to have quite abit more power and IMO do better than the little TS55. That being said Im one of those that still rip full sheets on the table saw and only crosscut full sheets on rare occasion that it makes for a cost savings in materials. IMO if a guy only needs to crosscut full 4' sheets then any decent worm drive and edge clamp is really all that is needed.

Don

Jerome Hanby
11-02-2011, 1:24 PM
I was going to ask if the reverse were true, will the Festool work on the makita rails, but I looked at Amazon for prices. Not really enough of a difference to matter...

I have the Makita and love it. It even comes in a systainer. I even use it with a Festool rail (in conjunction with a MFT 1080). Got it for $325 or $350 with rail via Amazon (and free 2day shipping thanks to the Prime membership I have with them) about 2 years ago. It's an excellent saw.

Gary Curtis
11-02-2011, 2:57 PM
2 things about Festool. I've got a 2005 model ATF 55 and I see them on eBay selling for the same price I paid.
And, after nearly 7 years.

When the ATF 55 was redesigned and became the TS 55, it now comes with three bearings on the arbor shaft. And the power was increased.

Greg Portland
11-02-2011, 3:08 PM
IMO if a guy only needs to crosscut full 4' sheets then any decent worm drive and edge clamp is really all that is needed.
DonIMO, a big advantage for tracksaws is that you place the track right on the cut line. Sure, you can make accurate cuts with some angle iron and a measuring aid (either the saw itself or a piece of scrap cut to length) but I find the track to be much faster for setting up each cut. Yes, a skill saw + homebuilt ZCI works very well too unless you care about dust collection.

Victor Robinson
11-02-2011, 3:18 PM
Thanks for all of the info - lots of great advice in the thread.

Even the Dewalt is starting to get tempting at $300 recon....the less this costs the happier my purchasing manager will be.

Steven Wayne
11-02-2011, 3:39 PM
Victor, I tried to send you a PM. Your inbox is full. There's a used Festool ATF55 (http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2674620831.html) on CL, if that interests you..

Victor Robinson
11-02-2011, 3:49 PM
Victor, I tried to send you a PM. Your inbox is full. There's a used Festool ATF55 (http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2674620831.html) on CL, if that interests you..

Thanks Steven, I just cleaned out my inbox...had no idea it was so full! Looks like a decent deal (shipping might kill it though), but if anything it does confirm the resale value on these things is pretty high!

Jerome Hanby
11-02-2011, 3:54 PM
Thanks Steven, I just cleaned out my inbox...had no idea it was so full! Looks like a decent deal (shipping might kill it though), but if anything it does confirm the resale value on these things is pretty high!

That's pretty close to what I paid for mine off the local CL.Think it was $325 and had a couple of blades. I felt like I got a great deal...

Victor Robinson
11-02-2011, 4:24 PM
So if I just end up getting the Festool, I can refer my wife to you folks, right?

Greg R Bradley
11-02-2011, 5:08 PM
I consider the Festool to be a very slight upgrade to the Makita, which was a big upgrade to my ancient Festool Track Saw, which was an upgrade to my PC Trim Saw and straight edge.

The Makita is a great product. The advantage of the TS55 is the anti splinter on both sides of the cut and a removable cord that matches my Festool sander so I can leave the power cord tied to the hose for my Fein Vac. The Makita cord is way too short and permanently connected so factor in buying a long cord and and taking the tool apart to connect inside. If you don't, the plug on the extension cord will end up in exactly the wrong place. Don't ask how I know..........

Makita still lives in a production shop with the vac hose and power cord overhead on a retractor. Still going strong after 6 years. I never noticed that the Makita has more power but I have only used them for sheetgoods, Starboard and plastics.

It is rare that you would find two tools from different companies that are this similar. You will probably be happy with either.

Also, with Festool tracks you can probably skip the clamps completely. You can use it without clamps on melamine as long as it is laying flat. I don't know about the Makita track. I do know the Dewalt tracks don't grip as well.

Victor Robinson
11-02-2011, 5:21 PM
I didn't think I'd say it, but I'm actually leaning towards the Festool now.

Biggest reason? Splinter-guard on both sides of the cut - I didn't realize that was a difference but it's actually a fairly big deal to me. If I'm shelling out several hundreds of dollars for what basically amounts to a fancy circ saw, it better do those cuts GORGEOUSLY.

Steven Wayne
11-02-2011, 6:22 PM
it better do those cuts GORGEOUSLY.

I will say that my Festool TS55 cuts are gorgeous and it's a dream to use compared to anything I have owned up to this point. (I have not used the dewalt or makita track saws). I am very happy with the Festools I own (2 routers, 2 sanders, domino, MFT and dust extractor).

Brad Shipton
11-02-2011, 7:16 PM
If I were doing it again I would buy a Mafell. They have some really good ideas and the roll up track is simply brilliant. Traveling with long aluminum rails is not ideal. Check out the you tube video.

http://www.mafell.com/produkte/prod_saegen_ksp40_i.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lKYXnVSnKg

Craig Michael
11-02-2011, 8:37 PM
Thanks for all of the info - lots of great advice in the thread.

Even the Dewalt is starting to get tempting at $300 recon....the less this costs the happier my purchasing manager will be.

Check on the dewalt. I think I heard something about them being discontinued although that might just have been the cordless version.

Craig Michael
11-02-2011, 8:42 PM
I was going to ask if the reverse were true, will the Festool work on the makita rails, but I looked at Amazon for prices. Not really enough of a difference to matter...

The festool TS 55 and 75 will work on the makita track. There are some festool accessories that will not work with that extra lip on the makita track. Things like the parallel guide, router mounts, etc. But the saw itself will work fine. I have two 55 tracks that I join together but if I get a great price on the long makita track, I'll pick one of those up.

Jim Matthews
11-02-2011, 9:25 PM
Amen, reverend.

How many sales are driven by promise, rather than performance? I'm not a fair judge of high output usage, but for the casual user (people like Victor and myself) there's no justification for adding expense.
Better to spend money on lumber than tools, in my opinion. It's just a tool, after all.

Steven DeMars
11-02-2011, 9:33 PM
Dewalt works really well ! ! !

just curious why you've ruled out the Dewalt?

Greg

Rich Engelhardt
11-03-2011, 6:24 AM
If I'm shelling out several hundreds of dollars for what basically amounts to a fancy circ saw, it better do those cuts GORGEOUSLY
Nicest thing about getting a Festool from a local dealer...
Take it home, set it up and make your cut.
When you notice some slight splintering - go back and read the instructions - then set the chip guard to the correct position :D

If you're a doofas like me - your second cut will be perfect. :D

Go ahead and cut some more. You have 30 days to judge the quality.

If it doesn't live up to your expectations in any way, take it back for a no questions asked refund.
I only say local here because there's no shipping involved.
Festool and Makita both offer the 30 day money back - but - I don't believe either will cover shipping charges.

Jerome Hanby
11-03-2011, 7:27 AM
That sure looks cool. Wonder how good the cut quality is. The video sure makes the dust collection look top notch. I saw one web site list that product as discontinued and the Mafell site listed them as out of stock. I didn't see a longer guide, wonder if there is some way to couple two of them together?

If I were doing it again I would buy a Mafell. They have some really good ideas and the roll up track is simply brilliant. Traveling with long aluminum rails is not ideal. Check out the you tube video.

http://www.mafell.com/produkte/prod_saegen_ksp40_i.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lKYXnVSnKg

Kevin L. Pauba
11-03-2011, 7:52 AM

My experience with the EZ system has shown that this statement isn't correct. Great quality cuts and very easy to use. Plus, it has lots of accessories that have be borrowed/copied by other manufacturers.

Peter Kelly
11-03-2011, 8:44 AM
That sure looks cool. Wonder how good the cut quality is. The video sure makes the dust collection look top notch. I saw one web site list that product as discontinued and the Mafell site listed them as out of stock. I didn't see a longer guide, wonder if there is some way to couple two of them together?

The KSP 40 has been replaced by the KSP 55 F. Flexible steel guide rails available in lengths up to 3100mm (122"). Cut quality is excellent.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-75278561445428_2174_6809425

http://www.mafelltoolstore.com/ksp55fpocisa4.html

Rich Engelhardt
11-03-2011, 10:15 AM
BTW-

As prices stand right now:
Festool TS55 $525
Dewalt $435
Makita $400

I don't know if things like this irritate you as much as they do me.
The Festool sells for full list price, excelt for when they are bundled or during a rare Festool 10% off sale.
The prices on the other two are heavily discounted off the suggested retail price.
I hate it when something carries an artificial inflated list price, then shows a deep discount as the selling price.

That always makes me wonder about the company itself and what other games they play.

I mean really, the DeWalt is a nice saw and all & so is the Makita, but apples to apples/retail to reatail,,is it ~ $200.00 better? Is the Makita worth an extra ~ $100.00?

Neil Brooks
11-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Buy once, cry once.

For my $$$, I'd get the Festool, and never look back.

My $0.02. YMMV ;)

Ryan Hellmer
11-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I have the makita and love it. I've been surprised by how often I use the little latch that holds the saw on the track (Makita exclusive). I don't know what value a riving knife has in sheet goods, but I'm sure there are occasions when it would come in handy.

My choice came down to price. I got the makita for well under $400 shipped with a rail. I put as much thought as anyone into the decision to purchase and wouldn't change a thing. I have never used the festool and agree that they make a fantastic tool, but other companies make fantastic tools too. In this case Makita knocked one out of the park.

Ryan

Mike Hollingsworth
11-03-2011, 11:26 AM
I have the Festool and the DeWalt. I prefer the Dewalt.

Kent A Bathurst
11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
The resale thing is potentially important to me.........$125 can buy a nice full sheet of veneered ply!

I have been known to poke fun at the green-kool-aid gang. No apologies for that. Full disclosure: I have had no need in the past, nor in the forseeable future, for a track saw. I had a friend get a PC SawBoss and taught him how to fab guides out of 1/4" ply and aluminum bar stock - works fine for his purpose.

But - IMO - your math is incorrect. It's not what the buck-twenty-five will buy, it's how much are you spending on the entire project? Materials & equipment combined. The tool spend differential is likely a modest %. Plus, the resale value is a legitimate point.

Having said all of that, were I in the your position, I'd get the Festool without hesitation. And - don't forget - you get a negative amount of dust generated [Festool gear collects 100% of its own dust, plus cleans the shop air at the same time].

Oooooopss.........I did it again.:D :D

Brad Shipton
11-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Jerome, from what i have been told Mafell is considered to be a higher end brand in Germany. I have no reason to doubt the fellow that told me about them since I know how meticulous he is with everything (Martin owner). I like how they have designed the lift mechanism on that saw. They have kept the saw much closer in size to a regular skil saw. I have tried free handing with my Festool, and most of the time I end up grabbing the old Dewalt for those cuts. I know, why would you ever want to do that? If on site, and you need to knock down some parts I think it is silly to need two saws. They also have a nifty miter setup that you could almost eliminate the need for a Miter station if it were not for small trim cuts.

Brad

Brian Kincaid
11-03-2011, 2:49 PM
On topic: Ase best I can tell what you have requested is a tool to break down sheets before you work them on the table saw. Sounds like you would do very well with any of the tracksaws. If resale is a consideration get the Festool no doubt.

On topic note: I read the PDF comparison article and looked at the spec sheet and thought why would anyone NOT buy the Makita? Then the author said Festool all the way because they have all the glitches worked out? What glitches?

Now for some opinions:
Tracksaws off the shelf as-is are not dedicated cabinet making tools. They are straight-line cutting tools on 1-faced lumber/sheet goods of significant width. How do you do a 1" rip on a tracksaw for rails and stiles? What can you do if you need to rip a badly cupped board down the middle? What if the lumber is not faced? How do you do repeated crosscuts, repeated rips to make squares and rectangles of the exact same dimension without a square and fence ?

I own and like many tools from Festool. I have recommended them to friends on occasion. I would put my home-made EZ bench and rails up against anyone's Festool setup for capacity, speed, precision, and repeatability. I do not own a $85 blade, but my $20 blade holds its own for cut quality and anti-chip on both sides of the blade.

I make furniture and cabinets for fun. There is very little I cannot do well with my EZ setup.
Fact: I do not own a table saw.

-Brian

Ray Newman
11-03-2011, 2:56 PM
Find a dealer that sells what you are interested in and handle them both. One may feel better to you than the other. Also consider dust collection.

About 7-8 years ago, I bought the Fe$tool as an upgrade from the ol' PC Trim saw with a dedicated carbide plywood blade and a shop-built wood guide rail system. Since I am prone to sinus problems, dust collection was important and there really were not any other track saw then available.

To its credit, the Fe$tool system works well for me. Like many others, it is primarily utilized to break down sheet goods and it does so with a finish cut. No more rough cuts, then onto the Uni-saw to clean things up. And combined with the CT-33 vacuum, no dust in the air or scattered about the shop.

At the time, I purchased the small Fe$tool track saw the #55 -- not sure of the model number -- and two track extensions as well as the CT-33 vacuum. I also purchased the track connector, two track clamps, and the plastic “Gizmo” that allows the electrical cord to slide smoothly over the end of the track and not hang up. All were a worthwhile purchase for my use.

Since I have not handled the other track saws now available, I can not speculate if I still would buy the Fe$tool track saw or one of its competitors. Again, such a purchase would depend upon how well the saw feels in my hand and dust collection efficiency.

Matt Meiser
11-03-2011, 3:13 PM
Another happy Festool owner here. The dust collection is a huge advantage for me too. I've used mine indoors with only minimal cleanup required after use. I've tried guide rails for the construction site saws and even the one I had which supposedly had good dust collection still made a mess--it collected a lot of chips, but not much of the fine dust. The difference--no designed-for-construction-site saw I've seen covers the blade area the way the designed-for-woodworking track saws do.

When I built a kitchen 2 years ago, I did all my crosscuts from full sheets and some rips with the Festool saw. That let me get a square corner on the sheet using one factory edge and get the sheets into a fairly easy to handle size. I had 3 cabinets that had 45's on them and I used the Festool saw for all of those. And I used it "on site" for building some shelving for a new closet that went in as part of the kitchen project.

Victor Robinson
11-03-2011, 3:20 PM
Just to clarify, the dust collection on all of the three tracksaws is equivalent, is it not? I haven't seen anything to the contrary, just wanted to make sure. The DC is one of the major reasons I'd like a tracksaw instead of trying to use or fabricate a cheaper guide system for a circ saw.

Victor Robinson
11-03-2011, 3:28 PM
On topic: Ase best I can tell what you have requested is a tool to break down sheets before you work them on the table saw. Sounds like you would do very well with any of the tracksaws. If resale is a consideration get the Festool no doubt.

On topic note: I read the PDF comparison article and looked at the spec sheet and thought why would anyone NOT buy the Makita? Then the author said Festool all the way because they have all the glitches worked out? What glitches?

That is the exact question I have (why wouldn't you get the Makita??), and as best as I can try to suss out, part of it seems to be just the brand. Of course, the brand comes with certain perks such as "fit and finish," reliable customer service, and more accessories ($$!). There's a very compelling reason if you own other parts of the Festool ecosystem or plan to, but if not, it really comes down to buying into the brand. Are all those little perks worth $125? It's actually a tough decision. If the Festool were still at its previous year price of $475, it'd be a no-brainer...which I suppose justifies their price increase!

Steven Wayne
11-03-2011, 3:39 PM
My first Festool was the TS55. After I used it a while, I checked out their routers. My main interest was dust collection on the router. The OF1400 has excellent dust collection and I am very happy with the purchase. My point being, I wouldn't discount the Festool stuff until you've tried it out.

I looked at the Makita and Dewalt track saws and bought the Festool stuff because the brands reputation is far better than either Dewalt or Makita, especially when I take in to account how many times I have had my Dewalt and Makita tools in for repair.

Albert T. Tappman
11-03-2011, 6:17 PM
Another thing to consider: you may think you can, but you will not be able to resist buying more Festool bling after you take that first bump. You'll spend a few days wondering what got into you and hoping that nobody ever finds out you paid $700 for a circular saw and some guide rails. Then you'll use it. Then you'll start to wonder what it would be like to have a Domino machine. It can't hurt, right? After that, you'll become unsatisfied using your Shop Vac to collect dust. Months later, your wife will notice a huge dent in your bank account, and you'll have to make up a story about a distressed nephew or something. You'll come home one day to find a room full of friends and relatives who aren't there to judge you (although at least one of them won't be able to resist holding your Domino machine in front of your face and asking you why, oh why, did you spend $850 on an angle grinder?), just there to see that you get help.

If you buy the Makita, I can almost guarantee you won't own an entire shop full of Makita tools and assorted $75 plastic accoutrements a year from now.

They tried to make me sell my Festool, I said no, no, no... ;)

Victor Robinson
11-03-2011, 6:29 PM
Another thing to consider: you may think you can, but you will not be able to resist buying more Festool bling after you take that first bump. You'll spend a few days wondering what got into you and hoping that nobody ever finds out you paid $700 for a circular saw and some guide rails. Then you'll use it. Then you'll start to wonder what it would be like to have a Domino machine. It can't hurt, right? After that, you'll become unsatisfied using your Shop Vac to collect dust. Months later, your wife will notice a huge dent in your bank account, and you'll have to make up a story about a distressed nephew or something. You'll come home one day to find a room full of friends and relatives who aren't there to judge you (although at least one of them won't be able to resist holding your Domino machine in front of your face and asking you why, oh why, did you spend $850 on an angle grinder?), just there to see that you get help.

If you buy the Makita, I can almost guarantee you won't own an entire shop full of Makita tools and assorted $75 plastic accoutrements a year from now.

They tried to make me sell my Festool, I said no, no, no... ;)

LMAO! I have no doubt that the TS could be a gateway tool. I'd like to think I'm somewhat Festool-proof, in that I already have a Fein vac. Now the Domino....I could sell my HCM and I'd be 1/4 of the way there....HMMMMMM!

Steven Wayne
11-03-2011, 7:48 PM
The Domino is amazing. I have bought most of my Festools used. Got a couple of good deals too. Watch craigslist..

Greg R Bradley
11-03-2011, 7:57 PM
Just to clarify, the dust collection on all of the three tracksaws is equivalent, is it not? I haven't seen anything to the contrary, just wanted to make sure. The DC is one of the major reasons I'd like a tracksaw instead of trying to use or fabricate a cheaper guide system for a circ saw.

The dust collection on the Makita and Festool saw are identical. The Dewalt looks like it would be the same. The Makita and Festool TS55 are very, very, very similar tools.

Gene Davis
11-03-2011, 8:24 PM
I'm totally shocked at the prices of the tracksaw kits. With my seven-year-old PC 324MAG saw and the Eurekazone track gear, I can handle all the sheet breakdown I need to do, with accuracy and precision.

For the money needed to get a Festool setup with vac and repeaters, one could go on eBay and score a pretty nice used Unisaw and have enough left over for a nice used jointer.

Even the EZ-Smart gear has skyrocketed in price. I see a barely-used kit (tracks 36,50,64, clamps, repeaters, saw base, accessories) on eBay right now for $299. My setup, saw included, came in for less than that.

Victor Robinson
11-04-2011, 3:03 PM
Just an update - I ended up deciding on the Festool (main reason: resale) and will join the green crew. I assume the dent in my wallet is the initiation badge. Thank you all for your feedback!

Jerome Hanby
11-04-2011, 3:09 PM
Just an update - I ended up deciding on the Festool (main reason: resale) and will join the green crew. I assume the dent in my wallet is the initiation badge. Thank you all for your feedback!

Well now you need a Festool vacuum because it interfaces to the saw so well, and their jig saw is a really nice unit and will work with the same track as the plunge saw, and their sanders have such good dust collection and you already have the vacuum, and that domino sure looks like a great little joint maker, and the MFT sure makes your cutting table look like crap, and....you need a good divorce attorney.

Victor Robinson
11-04-2011, 3:13 PM
Well now you need a Festool vacuum because it interfaces to the saw so well, and their jig saw is a really nice unit and will work with the same track as the plunge saw, and their sanders have such good dust collection and you already have the vacuum, and that domino sure looks like a great little joint maker, and the MFT sure makes your cutting table look like crap, and....you need a good divorce attorney.

Let me guess...you've got green horns and a green cape, stand about 3 inches tall, and hang out on my shoulder, right? :p

Jerome Hanby
11-04-2011, 3:40 PM
Let me guess...you've got green horns and a green cape, stand about 3 inches tall, and hang out on my shoulder, right? :p

No but the same little guy hangs out with me. Pokes me with that little green pitchfork every time I fall into some extra cash.

Greg Portland
11-04-2011, 4:30 PM
The dust collection on the Makita and Festool saw are identical. The Dewalt looks like it would be the same. The Makita and Festool TS55 are very, very, very similar tools.I mentioned this a few pages back but I have not seen a splinter guard for the Dewalt -or- the Makita. I'm not talking about the strip on the rail, I'm talking about the green plastic thing that guards the outside edge from splintering. Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of this accessory for the Makita or Dewalt? You can always get around this by using painters tape on the cut line but we're talking about a tool to save you time (versus a skilsaw).

For the cost difference it may possible to retrofit or create a similar option.

michael gates
11-04-2011, 4:40 PM
got the Makita and have had it since it came out, I have lots of Festools but have never looked back about buying the Makita over the Festool. Save the 100.00!!

Carl Beckett
11-04-2011, 6:30 PM
wow - over 75 replies and > 2000 views

Steven Wayne
11-04-2011, 8:25 PM

That's pretty much what happened for me. Both the TS55 & MFT as a slightly used package deal. Got to reading about Festool online and was interested in a Domino. Bought a Domino & CT Midi slightly used. Then, I really drank the green juice and bought a router and a sander.. I'm happy with the purchases and with the tools. The trick is to keep your eye out for used. I have found a few good deals.

Dave Lehnert
11-14-2011, 7:07 PM
I use a regular Makita saw and a $20 straight edge from lowe's. I can make perfect, square cuts. So if money is tight it can be done for less.

Victor Robinson
11-14-2011, 8:00 PM
I use a regular Makita saw and a $20 straight edge from lowe's. I can make perfect, square cuts. So if money is tight it can be done for less.

It's true, you could probably get 75% of the function for about 20% of the price. The unfortunate thing in my case was my circ saw is a piece of crap - basically, the base plate isn't square so riding against a straight-edge or homemade guide wasn't as easy as it should be. I fought with my circ saw for a long time trying to get such a system to work, but it never worked out right. I'm sure if I was starting with a better circ saw, say the Makita 5007, that route would have been more appealing. I wasn't about to buy another circ saw to fuss with though.

For the record, I went with the Festool and put it to work immediately on some cabinet projects. It's fantastic, but the best feature for me so far has been the dust collection and double zero clearance. Spectacular chip-free cuts on melamine.

Jim Becker
11-14-2011, 8:35 PM
Although I don't use my Festool track-saw in the show much...simply because I have a slider in there...I use it for a lot of little things in there as well as during home improvement tasks. I like the Festool "system" and take advantage of it when it makes sense to do so. And I use my rails with other Festool machines, too, including both routers and even the jig saw once or thrice.

john lawson
11-14-2011, 8:58 PM
I bought the Dewalt tracksaw and am very happy with it. (and the riving knife is a nice feature)

One of the reasons I bought the Dewalt is that their track works with my PC router, Woodcraft advised me I would have to have a festool router to use with their setup. I also bought the adjustable miter attachment and clamps.

I bought everything from Toolup, much cheaper than anyone else

raymond Abel
11-15-2011, 11:51 PM
allo
Maybe I am a bit late but here are my comment.
The Festool TS55 is great.
I used it for precision cut with the track & hard work
Here is some videos I made with my TS55 & CT26.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0YkTB-oARA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYf8CKIWucA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlm6HFalIVw

Yes, it is a lot of maney but it worth it

Ray

Mac McQuinn
11-19-2011, 3:34 PM
No doubt (3) very nice tools although unless those saws provide 100% dust pick-up, you're still going to be wearing a respirator when cutting/sizing sheet goods. I have a system in which upon arriving home w/ new sheet goods, I slide material onto saw horses directly from truck so I'm not torquing my back lifting the heavy stuff. I lay out tick marks for my layout, allowing 1/16" overage. I don a P100 equipped respirator and use a nice lightweight circular saw(Ridgid Fuego 6.5) and clamp-on guides to cut to these marks. Vacuum all surfaces and stack for cutting to precision specifications later on table saw in shop. Total investment is roughly $150.00 for saw and guide. Lack of back pain; priceless.

Mac

Scott Parks
11-21-2011, 11:44 AM
I bought a TS55, CT22, RO150 and a drill in 2005. Couldn't be happier. I haven't turned on my cabinet saw since 2007. I haven't done much woodworking the last few years, but have done everything I needed to do with the TS55. Yesterday, I finished wiring my current garage for 220v so I can use my table saw to build some storage cabinets. Instead, I used the TS55. Maybe today, I'll fire up the table saw to do some rip cuts.

I love the Festool system. In 2007 I did a townhouse remodel. Instead of having a contractor saw, I was able to do everything on site with the TS55 and a compound miter saw. Dust collection is excellent if you lay your material down on a sheet of 1" or thicker sacrificial foam. Last night I roughed out 6 sheets of plywood in my garage, and barely had any stray sawdust to vacuum up, and no airborne dust.

I haven't been to SMC in a very long time. I came here today to look for storage ideas for my systainers, and came upon this thread. I drooled through the Festool catalog last night and came to the conclusion that I need to add a router and jigsaw to my collection. Two thumbs up for Festool!

Victor Robinson
11-21-2011, 1:55 PM
I bought a TS55, CT22, RO150 and a drill in 2005. Couldn't be happier. I haven't turned on my cabinet saw since 2007. I haven't done much woodworking the last few years, but have done everything I needed to do with the TS55. Yesterday, I finished wiring my current garage for 220v so I can use my table saw to build some storage cabinets. Instead, I used the TS55. Maybe today, I'll fire up the table saw to do some rip cuts.I love the Festool system. In 2007 I did a townhouse remodel. Instead of having a contractor saw, I was able to do everything on site with the TS55 and a compound miter saw. Dust collection is excellent if you lay your material down on a sheet of 1" or thicker sacrificial foam. Last night I roughed out 6 sheets of plywood in my garage, and barely had any stray sawdust to vacuum up, and no airborne dust.I haven't been to SMC in a very long time. I came here today to look for storage ideas for my systainers, and came upon this thread. I drooled through the Festool catalog last night and came to the conclusion that I need to add a router and jigsaw to my collection. Two thumbs up for Festool!Just saw a neat systainer storage workbench on the Festool owners group forum. I think the thread is called "My sysport workbench." I'm not sure I'll ever have enough systainers to justify something like that, but it might give you some ideas.