PDA

View Full Version : Laser eye safety

Joe Hillmann
11-01-2011, 3:57 PM
When I run my YAG lasers without an enclosure I wear a pair of safety glasses that block the 1,064nm wavelength that it produces. I am wondering if I should be wearing glasses that block the 10,640nm wavelength that the CO2 lasers produce when I run it with the safetys disabled and the lid or front cover open? I have never worried about it because the lid has a large window in it that I assume is plexiglass but lately I have begun to wonder if the glass isn't a filter that blocks the 10,640nm wavelength.

Bruce Boone
11-01-2011, 5:28 PM
From what I understand, the plexiglass will fog over if hit directly. You should at least wear safety glasses for that reason. I used to work on a big CO2 laser, and that's what we did. Every once in a while the beam would reflect off of something, and you could feel the heat on your face. Your eyes don't focus that wavelength down to a spot like 1,064nm, so it's not quite as dangerous as YAG in that respect. That said, one can never be too safe, especially when eyesight is involved.

Dan Hintz
11-01-2011, 6:43 PM
When I run my YAG lasers without an enclosure I wear a pair of safety glasses that block the 1,064nm wavelength that it produces. I am wondering if I should be wearing glasses that block the 10,640nm wavelength that the CO2 lasers produce when I run it with the safetys disabled and the lid or front cover open? I have never worried about it because the lid has a large window in it that I assume is plexiglass but lately I have begun to wonder if the glass isn't a filter that blocks the 10,640nm wavelength.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, and, oh yeah... yes. The plexi or glass on a CO2 laser blocks the associated wavelengths... YAG will pass right through glass.

From what I understand, the plexiglass will fog over if hit directly. You should at least wear safety glasses for that reason. I used to work on a big CO2 laser, and that's what we did. Every once in a while the beam would reflect off of something, and you could feel the heat on your face. Your eyes don't focus that wavelength down to a spot like 1,064nm, so it's not quite as dangerous as YAG in that respect. That said, one can never be too safe, especially when eyesight is involved.
CO2 wavelengths will burn your skin, your cornea, etc. YAG wavelengths will pass through your cornea and burn your retina. Either way, nasty nasty stuff.

Bill Cunningham
11-01-2011, 10:20 PM
When Epilog sent my replacement tube, they included disposable (or cheap) plastic safety glasses, so I assume the Epilog lawyers have cleared them for safety :rolleyes:

Dan Hintz
11-02-2011, 7:27 AM
When Epilog sent my replacement tube, they included disposable (or cheap) plastic safety glasses, so I assume the Epilog lawyers have cleared them for safety :rolleyes:
Just about any pair of cheap goggles will prevent CO2 wavelengths from getting through to your eyes... with YAGs, well, it was nice seein' ya ;)

Craig Matheny
11-02-2011, 3:48 PM
These are the glasses that I have gotten from Epilog yes cheap but have a purpose. Pyramex Ztek S2510S safety glasses "are ideal for use in welding areas. They're designed for peripheral personnel and visitors who are not exposed to direct IR radiation. Provides 99% protection from harmful UV-A and UV-B rays"