PDA

View Full Version : Snow-capped 2 and then some!

Baxter Smith
11-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Posted this last week and appreciated all your thoughts and suggestions!
Last Thursday evening, the wife walked into the shop, took off the lid and said “if anything, it needs to be brown”. Thought it was time to follow some advice. I walked over to the paint cabinet and took out a half empty spray can of rustoleum satin brown. A couple coats later and ...

Don’t know if that was the shade you had in mind Cathy S.;):)
For some reason, it looks like its painted.:D
Left early Friday morning for Ct. so further revisions had to wait.

The snow was falling when we entered the Bushnell Theatre in Hartford Saturday afternoon. By the time we came back out, there were 3 or 4 inches on the ground. The electricity was out shortly after leaving Hartford.
Woke up the next morning to this.

Several limbs down but better than the yard across the street.

Took a walk up the hill to see the sights.
Spent the morning clearing snow out of the driveway and limbs out of the street.
Went for a longer walk that afternoon after much of the snow had fallen off the trees.
Not many had Christmas card perfect scenes.
The cleanup and electric crews will be busy for awhile!
to be continued....

John Keeton
11-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Baxter, I kinda like the brown!! Those are some beautiful pics - albeit tragic with the tree damage. Is the dutch gambrel house yours? Beautiful place if it is - as are the other homes in the area. Looks like it is melting quickly, and I assume since you are online that you didn't lose power.

Baxter Smith
11-01-2011, 12:57 PM
211656211649;
Came home late yesterday afternoon and got out the flat black. So John K, here is the matte black. Can't say it cures all ills!;):)

Next up, Steve S.:)
Shoved it back into the jamb chuck

and got it so it almost spun true.
Took a little off
and then a little more.
Guess some things just look better topless!
Stuck it back in again, and took off the lip around the rim

This morning, I put on some stripper, then a little WOP.

Thanks again for all your previous input! Your thoughts are again welcome and appreciated, BUT, I am going to be moving on!:D

Baxter Smith
11-01-2011, 1:07 PM
Baxter, I kinda like the brown!! Those are some beautiful pics - albeit tragic with the tree damage. Is the dutch gambrel house yours? Beautiful place if it is - as are the other homes in the area. Looks like it is melting quickly, and I assume since you are online that you didn't lose power.
My sisters in Avon Ct. We had gone up for the weekend to celebrate my mothers 85th and go to a show. They will probably be without power for a week. Her husband was away on a business trip but I was able to haul the generator out of the garage and get it running. No TV or internet but when you have water, heat and light....and your neighbors don't..you feel darn fortunate!

John Keeton
11-01-2011, 1:20 PM
Definitive improvement in the finial base! And, as I commented before, I kind of like the natural look, too. Taking some off really helped the overall presentation.

Glad you were there to help your sister - we have been without power for as long as 10 days before - NOT FUN!!!

David E Keller
11-01-2011, 6:02 PM
Beautiful photos, Baxter. Your part of the country surely doesn't lack anything when it comes to beautiful winter scenery... Though I'm happy to see the pictures and not have to shovel the snow!

Curt Fuller
11-01-2011, 7:16 PM
Baxter, I like each version of the finial but I think I would like the brown best if it were a brown wood. They all look pretty sharp though.

Those early snowfall pics look very pretty until you see all the damage done. There should be no shortage of turning and burning wood after that storm.

charlie knighton
11-01-2011, 7:22 PM
hope yall get things up and running, i like all the finials, the two tone one made me do double take

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Hope things are going well Baxter and things get back to normal. Ought to be a lot of turning wood around although it would have been better to get some other way. I also did a double take on the two tone but like them all.

Baxter Smith
11-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Beautiful photos, Baxter. Your part of the country surely doesn't lack anything when it comes to beautiful winter scenery... Though I'm happy to see the pictures and not have to shovel the snow!
It was supposed to be fall foliage and Halloween David!
Although I imagine it was pretty noisy and scary if you had a house in the woods that night!

Baxter, I like each version of the finial but I think I would like the brown best if it were a brown wood. They all look pretty sharp though.

Those early snowfall pics look very pretty until you see all the damage done. There should be no shortage of turning and burning wood after that storm.
I will agree on the brown wood Curt. I had thought about using some apple for the finial to begin with but wasn't sure it would be the right shade so went to the other extreme. They will be cleaning up wood for a while. Shattered oaks and maples everywhere.
A full crown of foliage and 12 inches of wet snow was a bad combination. A few towns away got 21". Cant imagine what that place must have looked like.

Charlie and Bernie, things are up and running here just fine. Went for an hour bike ride this afternoon(though I did wear a windbreaker) and spent some time on the lathe. Yesterday seems like a world away! :)