PDA

View Full Version : Check my logic on picking a lathe

Derek Gilmer
11-01-2011, 11:27 AM
So the vortex continues to call to me. I've decided that sometime between now and Christmas-ish I'd like to buy a lathe. I'll also be shopping around for a grinder, chainsaw, bandsaw, accessories etc to go with it. But those costs are outside the scope of this discussion for now. I've settled on a top three of lathes and wanted to run my reasoning by the turners here to get feed back. Especially any lathes I should be considering that aren't on the list or features I haven't thought about.

My main goals for turning right now, in order of importance, are:
1. Chess pieces. My dad and I started one time to make a chess board but never finished it before he passed. I'd really like to make a board and pieces from scratch in his memory.
2. Ornaments/Small hollow forms/Goblets
2. Bowls (thanks to Mark for getting me hooked on bowls...) nothing too large here, should fit on a 12" swing lathe
4. Wheels and pieces for toys for my son
5. Maybe some spindle work for table legs down the road

Must haves

12” swing over bed
¾ + HP
Lowest speed less than 501 rpm
MT2 taper for head and tail stock
Variable speed
30+ inches between centers available stock or with extensions
Hollow head stock to use vacuum chucks. I’m not sure hollow head stock is the right wording here but you know what I mean.
Around $600 with tax/shipping (sigh babies are expensive!)

Nice to haves

30+ inches between center
Lowest speed less than 201 rpm
American made

Top choices in order of preference

PSI Turncrafter commander 12” w/ bed extension (number one because of the price with extension)
Delta 46-460
Jet 1220vs

Most likely Out of consideration

HF 34706 -

lowest speed is too fast
Not a fan of the variable speed pulley system

Grizzly G0658 - ½ hp motor
Grizzly G0658 - no extra bed available
General and Steel city midi’s - too pricey for the features they have.

Wayne Hendrix
11-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Buy the Delta, and I would pay the extra money for the variable speed. Later you can add a bed extension and get the 30+ inches between centers. I have the Delta and wouldn't consider anything else in that size/price range.

John Keeton
11-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Derek, well conceived plan, and as a former Delta 46-460 owner, it is the hands down pick IMO. Unfortunately, with an extension it is beyond your benchmark budget - but, well worth the difference.

Scott Hackler
11-01-2011, 11:58 AM
* preface: I don't own any of the above meantioned lathes

I would lean more towards the Delta than the PSI. Just for the "well known, well respected" aspect. You have to think about why some lathes are priced as low as they are. Also, one of the general lathe purchasing rules is to buy as big of a lathe as you can afford. You can turn small stuff on a big lathe but you can't turn big stuff on a small lathe.

Tim Rinehart
11-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Yep, go with the Delta and keep your eyes open for someone selling used extensions. I've seen them used periodically and have considered, but really don't need so didn't jump on it.
Jet 14" bandsaw is good size, will handle anything you want to put on the lathe, and you can get riser to add another 6" throat size. Other 14" BSs out there of same design...but seems like I'm always seeing a Jet on C-list.

Look for Woodcraft deals on slow speed grinder...under 100 bucks is typical...symposiums are typically good place to buy stuff at discounted prices too...even if you don't want to spend money on demos...you can normally get to the vendor areas without registering. (at least here in NC you can!).
Get a Wolverine setup for varigind jig...you can make one from dowels and wood blocks in beginning, but will eventually want additional flexibility of the varigrind, IMO.
Chainsaw...hehehe, get as big as you can afford! Alot will depend on how much harvesting you'll be doing, vs just blank trimming. I think for that size lathe and bandsaw, if you get something with about 50 cu in and can handle a 20" or even 18" bar...you should be good for most situations without throwing down a lot of cash.
Watch for deals at Northern tool, they often have refurbs on Husqvarnas that can save you some cash and still get a warranty. I'm sure you can find deals online for used ones...but I've got less confidence in evaluating a decent CS vs one that has about an hour of life left.

Good luck...look forward to seeing details on your acquisitions! Sounds like Christmas could come early this year for you!

Steve Mawson
11-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I have the Delta and it is a nice lathe. Looked on the PSI website and see that lathe is out of stock, out at Amazon as well, don't know how fast you would like to have it. Delta is on sale at Woodcraft. Might give Tool Nut a call to see what they could do. My vote would be to go with the Delta.

Garrett Ellis
11-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Looks like there is a $50 rebate now from Delta.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/downloads/promotions/D8X11-PROMO-FALL11-REBATE-FORM.pdf

Amazon seems to have the cheapest price.

Derek Gilmer
11-01-2011, 2:04 PM
Thanks for all the good info. It is good to know there isn't a lathe I'm missing out there.

John - the extended bed is a nice to have so the Delta is still in the budget range

Scott - ya.. I'd love a pm3250 but babies are expensive. Maybe in a few years.

The psi made the list based on FWW review that added it as a best value but I haven't found a ton of people who love or hate it. The Delta is consistently reviewed as number one. And the Jet comes highly recommended by my turning mentor. So it may come down to if I can find the delta or Jet cheaper whenever I pull the trigger.

curtis rosche
11-01-2011, 2:20 PM
you could always start out with a craigslist lathe. and then gradually upgrade it with different parts.

Derek Gilmer
11-01-2011, 2:29 PM
you could always start out with a craigslist lathe. and then gradually upgrade it with different parts.

If one comes along that meets all the must haves I won't turn my nose up at it. I've got a script sending me any posts in the area about lathes :)

curtis rosche
11-01-2011, 2:50 PM
dont shoot down a lathe with a little less power, you can always get a motor on craigslist. find my post on my second lathe i just set up

Derek Gilmer
11-01-2011, 2:56 PM
dont shoot down a lathe with a little less power, you can always get a motor on craigslist. find my post on my second lathe i just set up

Meh. Lots of hours at work and a baby make for much less free time to mess around with a lathe. I've reached a point I'd rather pay a little more to have it ready to go out of the box or not spend time messing with it.

Jamie Donaldson
11-01-2011, 4:32 PM
Don't waste your money buying a first lathe that you'll want to replace in 6 wks~6 mos. because the initial investment will be gone. I suggest you consider nothing below the Delta 460 at 1 hp(yes, I do own one, as well as 3 other lathes).

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2011, 5:06 PM
I have the Jet 1220 VS with bed extension which is a good lathe. I have turned several times on the Delta 46-460 VS. I definitely would have went with the Delta if it had been out when I bought the Jet. The Delta is a great machine and has a bigger motor than the Jet.

Derek Gilmer
11-01-2011, 5:24 PM
I have the Jet 1220 VS with bed extension which is a good lathe. I have turned several times on the Delta 46-460 VS. I definitely would have went with the Delta if it had been out when I bought the Jet. The Delta is a great machine and has a bigger motor than the Jet.

Thanks Bernie, it is nice to hear from someone that has turned on both and recommends the one he doesn't own.

Don Alexander
11-01-2011, 5:35 PM
+1 for the Delta you won't regret it

David E Keller
11-01-2011, 6:09 PM
I've turned on both the Delta and Jet lathes you mentioned, and I own the Rikon midi... Of the three, I'd go with the Delta though any of them will do what you require.

Wally Wenzel
11-01-2011, 8:02 PM
I have the delta vs and it is a very good lathe i built my own extension out of oak which is very easy and simple to do works as good as store bought i am sure. Wally

Derek Gilmer
11-01-2011, 8:51 PM
I have the delta vs and it is a very good lathe i built my own extension out of oak which is very easy and simple to do works as good as store bought i am sure. Wally

Any pics you can send or post? I know little of lathes and kind of thought it would flex too much for the tailstock being made out of wood.

Jake Helmboldt
11-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Don't forget the Nova 1624. On sale it is close to your price range and if you can find one used that is another option. Maybe not as viable as the Delta, but give it consideration. Probably the best low-cost, full size lathe. Full disclosure: I don't have a Nova, but considered one and there are lots of people that like the 1624.

Derek Gilmer
11-03-2011, 6:59 AM
Don't forget the Nova 1624. On sale it is close to your price range and if you can find one used that is another option. Maybe not as viable as the Delta, but give it consideration. Probably the best low-cost, full size lathe. Full disclosure: I don't have a Nova, but considered one and there are lots of people that like the 1624.

The cheapest I've seen the nova is around 1200... do you know of somewhere to pick it up for around $600? I"d jump on that in a heart beat.