View Full Version : Finish for Mug

Robert Newton
11-01-2011, 9:58 AM
I plan on making some mugs that would be used for drinking wine and beer. Any suggestions for finish that would hold up?

Michelle Rich
11-02-2011, 7:15 AM
yes, no finish at all. When drinking vessels made 100's of years ago, they had no finish. Any finish you apply will get nicked and wine/beer will get under it & trapped..making ugly stains...

Dick Strauss
11-02-2011, 9:44 AM
I use 2 part epoxy thinned with DNA or xylol. I haven't had any issues with liquids causing staining, etc.

Royce Meritt
11-02-2011, 10:56 AM
I plan on making some mugs that would be used for drinking wine and beer. Any suggestions for finish that would hold up?

I made wooden mugs for my deer hunting group several years ago. I finished with several coats of spar urethane. They have held up very well. Once fully cured the finish is non-toxic. Fully cured for urethane can take a looong time.

Another finish I used on some other mugs is called "GOOD STUFF" available here: http://www.mapleblock.com/detail/butcher-block-finishes-39/

It worked well and is easy to apply but a bit pricey.

Greg Just
11-02-2011, 1:58 PM
On the stainless steel travel mugs I have been making, I have been using a spar varnish with excellent results. I might try the new General Finishes WTF on a few new ones.

Dave Ogren
11-02-2011, 4:07 PM
If you don't use any finish at all will there be a taste coming from the wood ?? And will it go away in a short time ?? How about a burnished in bees wax ??

Dave

Bill White
11-02-2011, 4:14 PM
Scotch is a great finish. Soak 'em in it for several days while renewing the fill. If ya need any help, call me.
Bill

John Keeton
11-02-2011, 5:10 PM
If you don't use any finish at all will there be a taste coming from the wood ?? And will it go away in a short time ?? How about a burnished in bees wax ??

DaveDave, it would be my guess that alcoholic drinks would remove a wax finish.