PDA

View Full Version : Rikon Customer Service? Anyone have a personal contact?

Kevin W Johnson
11-01-2011, 3:49 AM
It's not my intent to start any kind of rant thread, so let's not take this to that level. With that being said.... A bit of history on the situation....

I emailed Rikon CS for information on a part for one of their machines, and for an accessory for another. The first email was never answered (over 2 weeks), so I tried again, and did receive a response with answers to my questions. Basically that I needed to call to order the part using the part number provided in the email, and that a retailer could order the accessory for me. So I called the other day and asked for parts dept, and woman puts me hold a moment, returns and tells me to call back in about 30 minutes. Really? OK. So I wait about 45 minutes and call again, and again I'm told I should call back later. The woman is hard to understand, and I didn't catch the reason she gave. So I call a third time, this time it's just after the parts/support hours (no harm, my fault), but the office is still open. So while I have her on the phone, I asked her "Just when should I call? Since both calls during normal hours resulted in me being told to call back later" She responded that maybe I should email parts/support my phone number and have them call me. :confused: Hmmmm, if they don't answer my emails, I don't see this working either.

I have since emailed (on 10-25-11) the Vice President of Tech support/customer service about the issue, as he is the one who responded to my second email (the only email that has been answered thus far), and as of yet it goes unanswered as well. I've resent that email this evening, but given the response rate, I'm not holding my breath.

So, this brings me to my question. Does anyone here have a direct point of contact at Rikon that they have dealt with in the past? Someone that can be depended on?

I'm thankful that (at this point) I'm not facing a warranty issue as they seem difficult to reach. And, yes I know I could just keep calling, however I'd like to hear from the Vice Pres about the issues I emailed him about as it shouldn't take multiple emails and phone calls for something so simple. I like my Rikon lathe, and DC but I'm questioning any future Rikon machines at this point, as the CS just doesn't seem to be there.

Al Weber
11-01-2011, 10:42 AM
I emailed them several weeks ago with a question on my BS and never received a reply. I'd guess they are having some kind of trouble (financial, organization, personnel, etc.) and they just are not responding. I have given up on the company. While I think they made (& make?) some decent tools, they just don't get the fact that customer service makes repeat sales and the service they are providing today doesn't work.

Joe Spear
11-01-2011, 4:54 PM
Last summer I needed a drive belt for my Rikon lathe, I didn't know who carried them, so I called Rikon headquarters here in Massachusetts to find out. I explained what I needed, and they had a record of my purchase three years before. The man said he would send me a new belt free because the lathe was still under warranty. Number one: the warranty period was certainly over. Number two: I don't think things like belts are even covered by the warranty. Two days later I got the belt in the mail. So my personal experience with their customer service is very, very good.

Joseph Tarantino
11-01-2011, 8:40 PM
wish i could help you get to someone personally, but i've never had a problem getting to customer support at rikon, or nay other company. i call the sales telephone number (someone ALWAYS answers that number, no matter what company it is) and have them bring the support area i need on the phone while asking that the sales rep stay on the line until the requested connection is made. works evertime.

Kevin W Johnson
11-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Well, in my case they answer the phone, it's getting to the dept I need that seems to be an issue. The fact that email contact was suggested by the person answering the phone is a failure as well, to date I've only had 1 of 4 emails answered. The last email was just sent Monday afternoon, so I have hope of it becoming 2 of 4 emails answered. I'm really curious why it seems hit and miss with them. I read comments from people who have had no trouble at all, and I read comments from people that can't seem to get the time of day from them as well. I haven't written them off yet, as i hope there is some circumstance that will explain the situation. That's why I'm waiting for a response to my email to Rod, the CS VP, rather than continue calling and get lucky enough to order the part I want. I really want see how Rod handles it first, and doing so will let me decide if I purchase Rikon in the future, or remove them from my list of possible choices.

Kevin W Johnson
11-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Last summer I needed a drive belt for my Rikon lathe, I didn't know who carried them, so I called Rikon headquarters here in Massachusetts to find out. I explained what I needed, and they had a record of my purchase three years before. The man said he would send me a new belt free because the lathe was still under warranty. Number one: the warranty period was certainly over. Number two: I don't think things like belts are even covered by the warranty. Two days later I got the belt in the mail. So my personal experience with their customer service is very, very good.

I'm not sure when they did it, but they moved to 5 year warranties.

Doug Colombo
11-01-2011, 10:41 PM
I called them right after I got my bandsaw to get a small knob that I though was missing. They told me to recheck the box, as they had been known to fall off in shipping. I said I would do that and would call back if I couldn't locate it. I got off the phone, checked the box again, and found the missing part (guess who was red faced). 2 days after the call, a replacement part just showed up - they sent in just in case I could not locate the part. Had no issue geting them to answer the phone on the first try (about 1 year ago). From what I can remember, I just called the number in the manual (877-884-5167). Don't know if this is the number that you called, but it worked for me.

Cyrus Brewster 7
11-01-2011, 10:49 PM
My experience this past summer with Rikon was also excellent. The upper guide bearings on the bandsaw I just purchased were off a little. I called to explain this and also mentioned a scratch in the table. I had absolutely no expectation for help with the table since the scratch was small and only cosmetic in nature. To my surprise the gentleman on the phone told me I would be receiving not only new guide bearings, but also a new cast iron table.

However, I do not have the gentleman's number immediately at hand. If I do ind it I will let you know. Also, I hope this is an isolated case - I just bought the saw and would not like it if the company was starting to have problems.

Matt Kestenbaum
11-02-2011, 3:00 PM
I have spoken to Rod (VP of technical support) a few times...he was fantastic (although I am not sure that I didn't try calling him more than once) when I got him on the phone. He walked me through resetting the band saw's bottom wheel back to original factory settings and even sent me a new upper blade guide support bracket two day mail. I have to say that the dept seems like it might just be too small or short on staff, but when i got them on the phone they were second only SawStop's crew.

Kevin W Johnson
11-03-2011, 1:49 AM
Well, I'm happy to report that this matter appears to be solved. Rod must have looked up my phone number from the warrany registration information, and called me today to apologize for the lapse/failure in communication. He also indicated that he had a chat with the woman answering the phone as well about how to properly handle things going forward. He's also sending me the part that I inquired about, which I think is a very nice gesture. I'm glad I gave Rod the opportunity to correct this, and now I have no doubt but what they are committed to good CS. Had I just kept calling, it's quite possible I'd still have a bad perception, as i most likely would have just placed my order and kept silent. I tend to bite my tongue, whereas via email I tend to open up more.

Thanks to all who responded, all the positive accounts helped reassure me that this was hopefully just a fluke. Hopefully this case will spur better communication, as someone else noted their email was never answered.

Dave Lehnert
11-03-2011, 10:52 AM
if I remember correct talking to a rep at a wood show. Rikon is a very small company. Only like 7 employees so your list of contacts should be very short.