PDA

View Full Version : Honey Locust Turns like "HONEY"

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Last weekend I got time to turn some Honey Locust that has been in the "Drying Pile" for nine months. Even dry, it turned like a dream.

Would appreciate comments Pro and Con on Design, finish, etc.

Thanks for lookin'

Bruce

Greg Tatum
03-03-2005, 12:58 AM
I like the overall design and the detail on the inside but I don't care for the 2 lines on the outside...to my eye it detracts from the grain of the wood....cuts right thru it, know what I mean? By the way, what are the dimentions?

Regards,
Greg

Kurt Aebi
03-03-2005, 7:46 AM
Bruce,

Nice looking bowl, Good Job! Been seeing your stuff and you're getting real good at this stuff, just thought I'd let you know that.

I like the inside design, especially if your intent was for fruit as the grooves would allow for air flow even at the bottom of the fruit. Good looking on the inside, nice finish.

The outside. I like the design and how well you machined it, good craftsmanship. But I'm with Greg on teh look, can't place why, but it just doesn't seem to have that "feel" to it, maybe too busy with the detail rings. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good looking bowl overall - just doesn't "feel" right. Also, I think it takes away from th egrain of the bowl. Maybe if you did this with a Blah wood, like Mahogany it'd jump out and have that "feel".

Great Job on this latest bowl, keep up the good work and please don't take what I said to be negative in any way as your work far excedes mine in both design and craftsmanship, just hoping to help with my uneducated opinions.

Thanks again for sharing and again, Bruce - you do fantastic work.

Ed Lang
03-03-2005, 7:59 AM
I like the bowl inside!

The outside, I'll agree with the above.

Since I am new, would you let me know what tool(s) you used to hollow out the inside and how you sanded and finished it?

I have turned two little bowls so far from oak and didn't care for either of them too much. One was a natural edge and its OK at best.

Thank you for any tips you might have for me.

Karl Laustrup
03-03-2005, 8:40 AM
I like the overall design of the bowl. I too, am somewhat torn on the grooves on the outside. I have to agree that they do break up what seems to be some very nice grain patterns.

I also see what appears to be individual stacking bowls. At least that what my eye sees when I look at the 2nd pic.

Overall, nice turning, Bruce. :)

Glenn Hodges
03-03-2005, 9:30 AM
Bruce, the bowl is to be yours so beauty is determined by you...you know in the eye of the beholder. I always like different designs, but I try to adhere to the design principle the the base diameter should be 1/3 the diameter of the of the top. I power sand with a drill and sanding pads, so this one would be kind of difficult for me to sand. This is one reason why I have a slanted curve on the inside of all my bowls rather than let the sides come straight down, and go off at 90 degrees to the bottom. I also think it looks better, but this is my own personal preference.

I have had good luck with Deft lacquer, and another finish I use is mixture of polymerized tung oil, spar urethere, and turpentine (equal parts), I also use pure walnut oil on bowls that people are going to designate for salads.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-04-2005, 12:34 AM
First - Thanks for ALL the comments. I do have a tendency to get overly decorative! The Multiple bowl effect was planned, but it appears that it is too much in this piece.

I may remount it and smooth off the outside - got to see if there is enough wall to do it.

To answer questions.

Since I work with a Jet Mini, the diameter is limited. This one is 5" in diameter and 3" tall. At the St. Louis WW Show, I picked up a 1/2" bowl gouge with an Irish (Elsworth) grind. This is the first piece I turned with it. I also use a round nose scraper towards the bottom, when I make straight sides.

Sanding is by hand starting at 180 grit through 400, then using MMM Maroon, Green, and Grey pads. Then two coats of Parifin Oil, allowed to soak in for 1/2 hr and wiped of with lathe turning. Finish is eight coats of French Polish, ploished with MMM White pad.