PDA

View Full Version : using Grizz planer in cold weather

Sam Joyce
10-31-2011, 11:15 PM
Up until mid summer I had been using a Ridgid benchtop planer but now have a 15" stationary. As lots know these things take gear oil. I was wondering if anyone had experience or knowledge of running a planer like this in cold weather (well below freezing in unheated shop). Is there a specific gear oil I should use? Is the 80w I have in there now good enough or should I go lower viscosity? I dont want things getting gummed up and ruining what has been a nice planer.
Thanks

Matt Mackinnon
11-01-2011, 9:26 AM
the oil is for the gear set. It's not like your car engine where you have a piston set where friction plays any great roll. The lower gear set is submerged in oil, and will pull the oil up into the upper gears pretty quick, so I wouldn't worry that they are not getting any oil.

Also, I'd worry about your shop if you are getting sub zero temperatures inside for prolonged periods of time. Even if it's well below zero outside, do you not have any form of insulation on the walls or roof? I have an unheated shop and it doesn't drop below the zero mark even when it's in the -20c outside. It does feel cold, but never that cold that things actually freeze.

david brum
11-01-2011, 9:28 AM
A quick glance at the Penzoil site shows their 75-90 gear oil with a pour point down to -40F. I imagine that the stock 80wt gear oil has a similar range. If it's colder than that, you'll have to build a fire under you planer before you use it.

http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/Pennzoil+Synthetic+75S-90+GL-4+GL-5+ALL.pdf (http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/Pennzoil+Synthetic+75S-90+GL-4+GL-5+ALL.pdf)

Scott T Smith
11-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Sam, if I were you I use a high quality synthetic gear lube in the 80 wt range. Their characteristics at low temperatures far exceeds standard petroleum based gear lube. Although I am not a fan of their engine oils, I do like the Amsoil synthetic gear lube.

Charlie Ross
11-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Temp’s have been dipping down here also, Day’s are Lower to Upper 70’s, horrible!!! Sorry… I moved here in Louisiana about 15 years ago from Northern Wisconsin. On the days when it would get nasty cold I wasn’t able to run my equipment; some of the tools just wouldn’t run. I had a heater but no insulation in the shop, burrrrrrr! I remember going out in the shop, and there would be frost on the table saw… can’t say I miss that at all! My advice would be to move, LOL!!

Charlie Ross
11-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Scott, Out of curiosity, what kind of log is that your standing next on your avatar?

Sam Joyce
11-01-2011, 2:16 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I just stumbled across an info sheet on the oil I'm using. its rated pour point is -27; much colder then any sane working temps so I think I should be fine. I dont do a lot of critical woodwork in the winter as its both unappealing and functionally problematic. I have though about insulating, just cant seem to find the time.
Charlie.. Im not ready to change nationalities just yet but the weather down there is mighty tempting!