PDA

View Full Version : Richard Raffan demo

Bob Rotche
10-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Just got back from a Richard Raffan demo at our woodturning club (Blue Ridge Woodturners). It was really fantastic to see a true master at work. Every move seemed effortless. He also proved he's human by making a funnel but as he pointed out with his dry British sense of humor that "A demonstration without any mistakes is really quite boring". I'm registered for a full day hands on with Richard the day after tomorrow which should be great. I also got to meet Roger Chandler who drove a fair distance to attend the demo. Very friendly guy and I look forward to seeing him again at future regional events.

Steve Mawson
10-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Looks like a special treat. Let us know what you make at the hands on session.

David DeCristoforo
10-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Great fun. I have one question. It appears that you are wearing the same red shirt you have on in your avatar pic. Is that because you spent so much dough on tools that you could only afford one shirt? Or because all of your shirts are the same? Or pure coincidence?

Dale Miner
10-31-2011, 11:17 PM
Do you guys all go to the same barber?

Raffan is a pleasure to watch. The dry sense of humor is great.

Jeff Fagen
11-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Very cool,Richard's video's are my favorites.
What did the whole package cost?

Bob Rotche
11-01-2011, 7:18 AM
Geez, David! What kind of rube do you take me for? This is not my only shirt- I have another one that I wear on weekends! And if this turning thing works out for me, I hope to get a third! But yeah, they are all about the same...

John Keeton
11-01-2011, 7:29 AM
But yeah, they are all about the same...Isn't consistency what we are after here??:D

Sounds like a great event, and a creeker "visit" to boot! Having seen Richard in demo at the OVWG symposium, and having enjoyed a couple of meals with him there, I can attest he is a super nice guy and puts together a great demo. Spending a whole day with him would easily be worth the money.

Bill Bulloch
11-01-2011, 8:00 AM
I've got two of his DVDs that I have just about worn out watching ... now that you brought it up, I think I'll watch them again this evening. I know that you are delighted to attend his class. Maybe he'll teach you how to make that funnel.

Roger Chandler
11-01-2011, 8:09 AM
[QUOTE=Dale Miner;1799402]Do you guys all go to the same barber?

Alright!!! I confess, I resemble that remark! :eek::(

Roger Chandler
11-01-2011, 8:13 AM
Bob,

It was nice to meet you in person...........hey everybody, most of you remember seeing Bob's beast entery in the B&B contest on WTA and posted here as well..........Last night he had a very nice NE bowl from oak burl, and a killer canary wood bowl that was just beautiful.

I think he is a lot like his turnings.........very nice!

Roger Chandler
11-01-2011, 9:05 AM
Even the pro's have their moments! When Raffan got too thin on the bottom of a piece he was turning, he just took it in stride like it was just a thing that happens with everyone, and said something to the effect that a demo without a mistake is boring.

One of the guys who rode down with me said that seeing Richard have an "oops" moment made him feel better about himself, and realize even the pro's makes mistakes.

If you have an opportunity to see Richard Raffan, it will be well worth going!

Richard Jones
11-01-2011, 9:21 AM
I wish I had known about this earlier, I would have driven to Fincastle to see him. He seems so down to earth on all his vids, I'm glad that he seems to really be like that in person. Sounds like a really nice guy.

Richard (no, the other one)

Roger Chandler
11-01-2011, 9:42 AM
Great fun. I have one question. It appears that you are wearing the same red shirt you have on in your avatar pic. Is that because you spent so much dough on tools that you could only afford one shirt? Or because all of your shirts are the same? Or pure coincidence?

Why David,

I'll have you to know that Bob's avatar on the WTA forum shows him with a different shirt altogether! :rolleyes:;):D

Russell Neyman
11-01-2011, 10:38 AM
In one of Raffan's books he has a stack of busted bowls with a caption, "If you don't fail, you aren't trying hard enough."

I love his demonstrations because he often stops, looks at what he's done, and says, "I don't like it; let's change directions," and does. His turning is something I can relate to.

Mike Peace
11-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I drove up from Atlanta to Chattanooga with a woodturning buddy a week ago to watch Richard in an all day demo. Since there were so few folks attending I even had a chance for a brief hands-on with his end grain back hollowing technique. What a treat! At 70 I believe he is dramatically cutting back on his traveling so if you get a chance to see him, grab it. He said he quit production turning 10 years ago.

David DeCristoforo
11-01-2011, 11:05 AM
"...Bob's avatar on the WTA forum shows him with a different shirt altogether..."

He probably borrowed it from John Hart... Actually all of my shirts are pretty much the same too. Make's it easy to figure out what to wear, a decision that, more often than not is based on which one is cleanest...

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2011, 11:06 AM
I got to see Raffan at a demo. Had lunch with him and Bill Grumbine. He is just down to earth. Looks like a great creeker visit and demo.