PDA

View Full Version : Project: Cherry Dining Table

Matt Meiser
10-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Those who have been around a while probably remember the kitchen I did for my parents about 2 years ago. Mom decided that she wanted a table to match so at the end of the summer she ordered some Amish-made chairs, had the auction house pick up her old dining set, and had me bring over one of our folding banquet tables. We ordered some very expensive (and very nice) cherry from Irion lumber. I got started on it last week milling up the lumber for the top and did the first glue-up tonight. The glue up is 35" wide by about 48" long and is definitely the biggest I've ever done. But also the one that's come together the nicest.

We are up to 10 adults and 3 kids so far so holidays require a lot of seating. Open it will be 110" with all 4 11.75" leaves installed. Why 11.75? Because I have a 12" planer! Closed it will still be an oval shape since the slides can only accommodate up to 48" of leaves. That's about the biggest table the room can handle.

Leg design is still up in the air. We've ordered plenty of lumber and played with some sketches. The plan is to mock the base up with construction lumber and test it out at Thanksgiving if I make it in time.

Jerome Hanby
11-01-2011, 8:56 AM
Looks like a good start. I'm interested in what you decide for the legs. I've got a kitchen table project on the near horizon and haven't worked out the base yet...

gary Zimmel
11-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Looking forward to seeing this one unfold Matt.
Keep us up to date.

Matt Meiser
11-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I glued up the other side before work and forgot about it so I didn't get the squeezout scraped off while still soft. I just went out and lightly scraped, then sanded with my new Rotex. What a beast--but it sure did make quick work of getting a nice level panel!

alex grams
11-01-2011, 1:50 PM
Matt, how do you plan on flattening the end half ovals/circles? When I do multi-board glue-ups like the one you show, I usually put a couple of cauls on each side to keep all of the boards coplanar, or else a few will squeeze to one side or another and the full panel isn't perfectly flat.

Don Jarvie
11-01-2011, 1:53 PM
Matt, check out Pompanoosuc Mills at the link below. It may give you a few ideas. My wife liked the bottom to the Goodard style.

http://www.pompy.com/furniture/?category=20

Don

Matt Meiser
11-01-2011, 2:14 PM
I initially had clamps on either side and sighted down them to be sure they were flat. leveling any minor differences will be done with the Rotex--don't know anyone with a widebelt big enough.

alex grams
11-01-2011, 3:17 PM
Matt, Mike Henderson has a nice tutorial on making cauls which work pretty well for holding boards coplanar while you are clamping them. That is typically how I flatten mine up while clamping.

Don Bullock
11-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Matt, your table build is looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Matt Meiser
11-02-2011, 9:23 PM
Lots of progress tonight. I made a template and cut the rounded ends. I got tearout in both pieces at the exact same spot on the curve. On the first I was able to shift the template ever so slightly and get it all out. The other I did the same but still had some left so I blended it in with the edge sander. No one will ever know (except for 1000's of creekers that is.) I need to get the alignment pins installed in all the leaves next so I can get the edge put on the top.

willie sobat
11-06-2011, 4:01 PM
Looking good Matt. I am planning to do a dining table sometime next year. I am not looking forward to working such a large flat surface. It looks like you've done it right though.

Matt Meiser
11-13-2011, 2:37 PM
Here's some recent progress. As discussed in another thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174732-Bent-Lamination-how-thick-on-the-veneers) I made the aprons using a bent lamination process. This weekend I got those to final size and installed.

I also drilled for and installed all the alignment pins and did all but the final sanding on the top. To install the alignment pins, I made a jig, based on a jig a friend loaned me, which he based on one by Michael Fortune. What's nice about this jig is that you are actually using the same holes to drill each side.It worked out great. What I added was the T part of the fence which positively locates it against one side of each piece. The pins I used are from Lee Valley--very nice.

Finally, I made some trim pieces to hide the seams between the aprons at each joint.
You might notice in the first photo that two of the leaves have aprons and two don't. The idea behind this is that one or two leaves will always be in use so they have aprons. Two will only be used a few times a year and are going to store inside the table between the slides (still have to work that out) but that means they can't have the aprons.

Other than final sanding, installing the leaf-locks, and finishing, the top is done. Now on to the legs.

gary Zimmel
11-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Great progress Matt and thanks for the little tip on installing the pins...

John Keeton
11-15-2011, 6:54 AM
Matt, I don't get over here much anymore, but this is going to be a really nice table! Looks like you may well have the temporary "mock up" base done in time for turkey! Or, are you skipping that part and going to the real thing?

Matt Meiser
11-15-2011, 7:22 AM
Skipping it. There aren't going to be too many people home for thanksgiving and the cost of the temporary base was suprisingly high. The leg mockups were just poorly screwed together for appearance. I've gotten started on milling all the rough parts for the base and laying out joinery. Cutting that is next, then making templates to cut them to final shape on a friend's shaper with a Byrd cutter head.

Stan Mitchell
11-16-2011, 9:26 AM
Great project!

Matt Meiser
11-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Here's tonight's progress. The mortises are cut in the feet and the tenons are rough cut (plus a piece epoxied back on two side of the tenons due to a forgetting which side of the blade I should measure to :o.) The tenons are fitted on one, still need to do it on the other. The legs are just rough cut--I wanted to get this far so I can take the legs and the template up to a friend's tomorrow night and use the Byrd head on his shaper to finish shaping them.

I have used the band saw on this project more than my previous 10 years of woodworking. Glad I upgraded a short time back.

Art Mulder
11-17-2011, 10:18 AM
I hope your Mom's floor is absolutely totally 100% flat, or she's going to regret insisting on those flat feet. :(

Byrd head on a shaper? Never heard of that!
Otherwise I have to say that looks like some very nice clear straight-grained cherry you've got there. It's going to be gorgeous.

Matt Meiser
11-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Its going to get some small pads (felt pads or "magic slider" type pads) so that will account for the out-of-flat issue but not let you see the dirt that gets under the legs. At least until you move it. But yeah, I agree as does my dad but you know how that goes.

The Byrd head is awesome. We template cut a bunch of pieces for doll beds last year with it. Even curved cuts in hard maple that would have probably ripped the heck out of the piece with a straight bit were tearout-free.

Prashun Patel
11-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Matt-
yr skills are way above mine, but a quick followup question to Art's comment. Could you cut a 1/8" recess on the bottom of those long feet? Won't detract from the look at all, but will provide four smaller bearing points that can be individually leveled instead of two long ones. I'm sure you thought of that already.

Matt Meiser
11-17-2011, 11:11 AM
No I hadn't. Definitely something to consider.

Matt Meiser
11-20-2011, 4:08 PM
Lots more progress. First, I determined that the slides are intended to be supported from the center. Supporting from the ends leads to LOTS of sag in the middle--but not much perceptible to the eye when supported from the middle. That led to adding a center stretcher which will add a lot of rigidity. Note the large nut on the stretcher between the legs. That will be getting a blackened finish by heating and quenching in oil before assembly to give it an "old" look. Also note the storage for the leaves inside. I want to add a couple guides here to keep them from getting hung up in the slides, especially the alignment pins.

I've tried a chair at numerous places around it and there won't be a bad seat in the house. Even caught straddling a leg isn't bad as they are about at the sides of my knees and the foot really doesn't get in the way much.

I still need to do the sanding and glue-up of the legs which will be epoxy for strength. I also need to fabricate a support post that will go at each end when the table is fully open. That's a loooong span. These won't be designed to add any lateral stability, only reduce the bounce at the ends.

Hoping to get that all finished up the next few days so I can do all the final hand-sanding and apply a coat of Seal-A-Cell next weekend.

Matt Meiser
11-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Well, I wrapped up construction yesterday. The leg assemblies are glued up using epoxy--right or wrong I felt like that would make for stronger joints.

I got the two auxiliary legs made which are really needed because the table gets very tippy when fully open. I did run into a dilema. It seems the slides actually are designed to bow up when open to counteract sag. So the height of those legs for a perfectly flat top is about 1/2" less than open and clear. I ended up leaving them so they don't touch figuring there will be some wear over time and it does make it easier to mount them. Once you get a little weight on the top, they touch.

I also got the hardware blackened. I did this by heating until it was glowing orange and then quenching in motor oil. Obviously this is an outdoor activity but it looks great.

I need to fill some pitch pockets in the top with epoxy, all the show surfaces need a once-over with 220 grit, and everything underneath needs edges softened. Then it moves into the finishing room. I'm hoping to get a coat of Seal-A-Cell on it before the end of the long weekend.

Kent Parker
11-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Great project Matt. Thanks for the post and the tip on blackening. Is Seal a Cell your only finish ? I've never used the product before and was wondering on its durability.

Cheers,

Kent

Matt Meiser
11-24-2011, 11:06 AM
No, that's just the first step. After that It gets a coat or two of the Target WB Shellac, then a couple coats of Target EM6000. Then the top gets a coat or two of Target EM8000 which is a very hard product that resists scratches. Other than the EM8000 its a finish schedule I've used a few times now, including the cabinetry for the kitchen this goes in.

Peter Aeschliman
11-24-2011, 1:37 PM
Matt,

Very nice table. Thanks for sharing the project. Forgive me if I missed it, but what kind of slides did you use? I will be tackling a similar project soon and I'm looking for slides. Do you like them? Any regrets?

Thanks!

Peter

Matt Meiser
11-24-2011, 1:41 PM
Thanks. We ordered them from Osborne Woodworks and they seem really good. I originally planned to support them from the ends but found they were designed to be supported from the middle. That's all I really ran into with them.

Art Mulder
11-24-2011, 2:12 PM
?? are the aux legs permanently attached, or do you slip them in when opening it wide?

Matt Meiser
11-24-2011, 2:22 PM
They are removable with a couple knobs. I'll post a pic later.

Marshall Border
11-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Beautifully done , Cherry is always a great choice - it'll be nice to see the finished piece ...........MB

Matt Meiser
11-27-2011, 2:38 PM
Here's how the axillary legs mount.

I disassembled, sanded and got the coat of Seal A Cell on. Oiled cherry is so ugly, isn't it? :)

Prashun Patel
11-27-2011, 4:16 PM
Nice work as always. Nice to see yr new drying rack in use too!

Jim Becker
12-05-2011, 9:19 PM
Yea, that oiled cherry is so ugly, that I really have to take it off your hands. You can send it to me at your leisure... :)

Matt Meiser
12-05-2011, 9:53 PM
No, its mine--it has my name on it. (My parents recently redid their will and their lawyer encouraged them to have us put our names on stuff we'd someday like to have. Mom made me brand a kitchen cabinet when I did that, so I guess that's mine too.)

I just finished spraying the final coat on the top surfaces and cleaning up. Final finish schedule was:

1) General Finishes Seal A Cell (one coat)
2) Target WB Amber Shellac (two LIGHT coats--really reddens up things over the oil)
3) Target EM6000 Satin (4 coats on the base, 2 on the both sides of the tops)
4) Target EM2000wx Satin (2 coats on the show surface of the tops)

The first picture is about the most accurate color-wise, though the second and 3rd aren't bad. Last one is really washed out. Can't wait to see it a year from now if the kitchen cabinets are any indication.

Plan from this point forward is to reassemble the tops onto the slides and install the leaf locks. Then over the weekend I can buff out the top with a white Scotchbrite pad and some Renaissance wax to remove any dust nibs and give it a nice silky finish.

With the weather we've been having and the size of this thing, we are thinking of hiring out moving it over to my parents so it can ride in an enclosed vehicle. 18 days until my family will be having Christmas dinner.

Matt Meiser
12-06-2011, 9:29 PM
Other than finishing the finish (which has to wait for Saturday) and delivery (I think a friend with an enclosed trailer is going to help me), this one's done.

Paul Cahill
12-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Lovely work. I enjoyed watching the project unfold.

Phil Thien
12-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Great job, Matt. I'm sure your mother will be showing it off quite a bit!

Paul McGaha
12-07-2011, 5:55 AM
Really very nice Matt. A piece to be proud of. Even better that it was made for your mom.

PHM

Bobby O'Neal
12-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Great work.

glenn bradley
12-11-2011, 11:53 AM
That came out beautifully Matt. Wonderful work and thanks for letting us ride along.

Matt Meiser
12-11-2011, 3:20 PM
Thanks everyone. It was delivered today and we'll be back over there later today to eat the first meal at it.

Todd Burch
12-17-2011, 7:03 PM
Good looking table Matt - nice job!

Hans Braul
12-18-2011, 8:13 PM
Matt, you've done a fabulous job. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Hans