PDA

View Full Version : My wife says its a sickness.

Terry Quiram
04-21-2003, 7:20 PM
So here I have moved the pile in the yard to the front of the shop, plus I stopped tonight on the way home from work and loaded up half a truck load of pretty good size pieces of Maple. I LOVE THIS HOBBY!!!!

Terry

keith zimmerman
04-21-2003, 8:30 PM
That's quite a haul Terry. Especially after all the ash on Saturday. Is the maple what you were expecting? What's the grain look like? Just curious.

keithz

Jennifer@Indy.USA
04-21-2003, 8:57 PM
Glad to see you're having fun Terry!

:)

Jim Baker
04-21-2003, 9:18 PM
She surely knows that there are much worse "sicknesses" that guys could have. At least she knows where to find you most of the time.

Thanks again for entertaining my son Michael with your scroll saw at Ray's.

Terry Quiram
04-21-2003, 9:52 PM
Keith, don't know about the Maple. Have not cracked one open yet. I am working of a burl that a friend harvested for me over the weekend. I have no idea what kind of tree its from and the burl is just about the hardest piece of wood I have encountered. Not including an old hedge fence post.

Jim, glad Michael was entertained. Has he asked for a scroll saw yet?

Jim Baker
04-21-2003, 9:57 PM
Terry,

Michael would love to have a scroll saw, but I'm not ready to get something like that for an 8 year old. I think we'll wait a while.

Dennis Peacock
04-22-2003, 12:37 AM
Terry....can you cut THAT on your scrollsaw!!!??? :-)

Sam Chambers
04-22-2003, 9:37 AM
Terry:

She's right - it's a sickness called morewood-itis.:)

Personally, I have a bad case of TAS - Tool Acquisition Syndrome.

And now SWMBO has her own sickness to deal with, called Longaberger's Disease. It causes the afflicted person to buy little wooden baskets at unbelievably high prices. I'm gonna sue the "friend" who exposed her to Longaberger.

The good news is that whenever she buys more baskets, I get to buy more tools! I think I'm still ahead on total cost, but she's trying hard to catch up!

D.McDonnel "Mac"
04-22-2003, 2:48 PM
Terry,

Did you get a chance to copy the little animal patterns? Alan was asking about them the other day. He has been cutting out some buigger stuff that I found patterns for but he likes the little stuff for some reason. We just got finished cutting out 40 stars for my dad's church's VBS. Thanks for helping Alan on your saw at Ray's. It sure is a nice saw compared to our Delta!

Mac

Spence DePauw
04-22-2003, 2:49 PM
Terry, it looks like the turning stock might push the scrolling stock out the door, if you aren't careful... :D

Spence

Steve Clardy
04-22-2003, 6:07 PM
it deffently is a sickness for sure.
I also have TOOLITIS syndrome BAD!:D :D :D

Jim Young
04-22-2003, 8:18 PM
It is a sickness. I suffer from it too. You know it's bad when you try to hide the wood from your wife. Brought home some mahagony a while back and hid it in my lumber pile. Wouldn't you know it, she knew it was there within a week, I did not tell her either.

W.C. Turner
04-23-2003, 12:30 AM
Hey Terry,

I thought I was the only one like that.:D Since I started turning, I look at all "Felled Wood" much differently than I ever did before. Every log seems to want to follow me home, like it needs adopting. SWMBO keeps giving me the "LOOK" when we pass a downed tree, and I start slowing down. She keeps asking, "Where're you gonna put all that wood"? I'm getting so bad, I'm acting like an alcoholic, trying to hid their drinking. I try to sneak logs into the yard after dark, and stash it in an out of the way place.

Maybe it is a sickness, but I hope I don't recover!! :D

W.C.

Stan Smith
04-23-2003, 9:43 PM
I've got a sickness similar to yours. People are calling me a tool junkie. Actually a guy on the Pond, I think it was Mark Gonzales used that as his moniker. I didn't plagarize the term for myself. I guess people just think that it naturally fits.

Never got addicted too bad on the lathe, but when I go to a hardwoods place, There's always a piece or two that I just can't do without. I do intarsia so I'm acquiring a lot of variety.

Stan

Steve Clardy
04-24-2003, 11:10 AM
Pretty bad when you catch yourself having to actually count the number of like tools. If you have two routers, you can remember that. But when you have so many that you stop and count them once in a while, [13] thats bad. Ha.
Yea, tool junkie for sure. But at least we use then, unlike things that are collected and put on a shelf just to have them to look at.
Steve:D