PDA

View Full Version : Oops, and I'm o.k.

Primvs Aebvtivs
10-31-2011, 6:09 PM
Evening all! I was just working in the shop, and decided to have a play on the lathe (as you do). I set up a 4 1/2" faceplate with a lump of branch, spindle fashion, decided to turn the end grain for a candle holder, and developing wings on the 'top', I caught my dfg. The resulting "crack / thump" as the faceplate broke and said lump hitting the floor made me wonder - where's the faceplate? It was still firmly attached to the wood, but the collar that threads onto the headstock had separated from the faceplate. Has this happened to anyone else? The metal inside looks very porous, not at all solid, like you would assume. It's a Clarke CWL12D by the way. Original faceplate. Checking on the local supplier / clarke international - they don't supply this size anymore - would you think they've had problems with it?

I'm fine, but decided on a sit down for a bit...

Marty Eargle
10-31-2011, 6:27 PM
Nothing more eye opening than a shake up like that. Glad to hear you're okay.

Reminds me that I desperately need to get an aluminum faceplate to replace the steel one that came with my lather.

Tony De Masi
10-31-2011, 6:47 PM
Glad you are ok but it seems like it was doomed for failure anyway. Face plate on end grain does not seem to be very secure.

dan carter
10-31-2011, 7:02 PM
Yep, sure has. I didn't like it either. Actually the faceplate looked pourous like yours does. I had it mounted on the end of my mustard, probably 24 inches or so; it sure is unsettling for a minute or so.

I posted a picture of my broken faceplate in Feb.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?158948-outboard-turning-on-PM-3520&p=1628620&highlight=#post1628620

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2011, 7:14 PM
Wow - that's a first for me! I can see how that would be extremely upsetting! Glad you are OK!

Sid Matheny
10-31-2011, 7:17 PM
Sounds like a cast iron faceplate. And yes they can blow apart. I think aluminum or steel is better than cast iron anytime.

Sid

Jim Burr
10-31-2011, 7:36 PM
Pop a cold one and count your blessings!!

charlie knighton
10-31-2011, 9:49 PM
glad you are safe, keep the pieces near your lathe so you see them when you come in the shop

David DeCristoforo
10-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Airborne turnings.... I hate it when that happens. Glad it missed your head! The broken faceplate can only be attributed to very poor quality cast iron or a badly flawed casting. Never heard of that happening before.

Roger Chandler
11-01-2011, 8:32 AM
+1 on Sid's comment...........I only use steel faceplates or a high quality aluminum one like the one from Easy Woods. It has 8 holes for screws to give a secure hold, and I make sure to use long enough screws............#12 sheet metal.

Primvs Aebvtivs
11-01-2011, 6:13 PM
Thankyou gentlemen, all comments gratefully received - Dan, sorry, but I AM glad it wasn't just me, and the other guys - yes, it looks porous, I'll see if I can get a picture on here somehow! I did indeed pop a cold one!
I did wonder whether Aluminium was better than cast, so I'll see what's going on the net - although I do have a smaller and a larger one to play with at the moment.
To Roger ^ - i used all 8 holes, 1 1/2" (#10 I think), they were all still firmly attached, so as said above I think there must have been a flaw waiting to break... Someone at work suggested getting it welded - I don't think so!
Been playing again tonight - you know what they say about losing your nerve if you don't return to the scene of the accident. A nice re-turned oak pot, lid to be finished, and two rough turned bowl blanks - popped in DNA (meths) one wrapped in newspaper, with hole, the other wrapped with shavings and sealed in a bag. I'll check them out when they're dry, and see if the colour taints them.

Thanks again guys!