PDA

View Full Version : Phone Scam

Charles Bjorgen
10-31-2011, 1:05 PM
Just had a weird phone call to my residence. We have Comcast phone service and it will report an incoming phone via caller ID to our TV screen if it is turned on. The caller ID report said "PHONE SCAM" and the numer was listed as 1-567-248-440. That area code is listed as one that is new for northwestern Ohio. I was outside but my wife saw this and did not answer the phone.

I had received emails from friends warning about another scam that has a caller saying he/she is checking a line problem on your phone and asking you to press the pound key on your phone. Apparently what occurs is that you are reportedly giving that caller information that allows them to make LD calls at your expense.

Just wonder if anyone here has experienced this kind of call?

Jon McElwain
10-31-2011, 1:56 PM
I have not had that particular scam but we did register our home and cell phone numbers on the government do not call registery. It has cut down on all but the political calls. It is super easy to register at www.donotcall.gov
(http://www.donotcall.gov)

Bruce Page
10-31-2011, 3:09 PM
Some of these people are devilishly clever. I received an email from "Comcast Infinity" a few days ago saying that they were unable to process my last payment and to please “Click here” to update my account info. It looked very professional with all the right graphics. A quick internet check showed it to be a scam. I really feel sorry for the people that fall prey to these scumbags.

Charles Bjorgen
10-31-2011, 3:16 PM
I got that same email about a month ago and marked it as "Spam" but then called Comcast billing and they said there was no problem. I'm afraid they're finding ways to get around the no sales call preferences too.

Bruce Page
10-31-2011, 4:24 PM
I got that same email about a month ago and marked it as "Spam" but then called Comcast billing and they said there was no problem. I'm afraid they're finding ways to get around the no sales call preferences too.
When I looked at the properties of the “Click Here” hotlink, it showed 804 Brasil[dot]com.
Looking into 804 Brasil[dot]com shows that it has been reported as a website forgery. Again, the email looked very offical.

Dave Lehnert
10-31-2011, 5:27 PM
This from popwood.

http://www.fwpublications.com/badagents.asp

Rick Potter
11-01-2011, 3:50 AM
If someone is trying to rip you off, I cannot imagine that the 'do not call' list is going to deter them at all.

Rick Potter

Bruce Page
11-01-2011, 1:38 PM
If someone is trying to rip you off, I cannot imagine that the 'do not call' list is going to deter them at all.

Rick Potter
Probably not, but it does cut down on the number of legitimate :rolleyes: phone spam that I receive.

Don Jarvie
11-01-2011, 1:42 PM
I drive my wife crazy because I won't answer the phone unless its her and anyone else it goes to the machine.

If they want me bad enough they will call back.

Belinda Barfield
11-01-2011, 2:00 PM
I drive my wife crazy because I won't answer the phone unless its her and anyone else it goes to the machine.

If they want me bad enough they will call back.

Same here Don. If I don't know the person calling, they have the option to leave a message.

Charlie Reals
11-01-2011, 2:30 PM
Same here Don. If I don't know the person calling, they have the option to leave a message.

+1 to that and even if I know them they sometimes have the option.

Belinda Barfield
11-01-2011, 2:39 PM
+1 to that and even if I know them they sometimes have the option.

+1 to that - depends on what I'm doing when they call, or if I'm in the mood to talk to them.

Myk Rian
11-01-2011, 4:52 PM

Rick Potter
And we all know the Do Not Call list is a scam.