PDA

View Full Version : Would the regular Nova G3 work on the Delta 46-460 or do I need the G3-D?

Rob Price
10-31-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm about to go all in, I've got an order tee'd up at Woodcraft for a Delta 46-460, grinder, extension bed, and various accessories. I'm stalled on the chuck. I've noticed there is the delta specific G3-D (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2064107/26244/Reversible-NOVA-G3D-Woodturning-Chuck.aspx) that seems to be just for this lathe and compatible with the reversing function. But right now there's a package deal on the regular G3 that comes with a bunch of sets of jaws for only $30 more (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080766/29195/Nova-G3-Chuck-and-Jaw-Promotional-Package.aspx). I'd rather get the bundle set as it seems like a good deal, but everyone praises the reverse function of this lathe as being a good think for sanding, I don't want to eliminate that function.

Anyone use the regular G3 in reverse?

Mike Campbell KS
10-31-2011, 1:08 PM
I think that the G3-D is the same, as the G3, but has a set screw for use when going in reverse. I regularly use a standard G3 in reverse with no worries. I would consider the G3-D only if you were considering turning in reverse. IMO get the package deal.

I don't believe you get the insert for the 1"-8 spindle. Make sure you don't buy the Woodcraft insert. Lot's of people have had problems with them, get the Nova.

John Keeton
10-31-2011, 1:22 PM
They both work fine on the Delta. As noted, the G3-D comes tapped 8tpi x 1" and make sure to use the Nova insert for the other. I never use the grub screw for reverse sanding - either on the 46-460 when I had it nor the 1642. Past threads indicate that is probably the majority view - though caution should be used. Spin the chuck on good, and use light pressure when sanding with low speed.

Michael Mills
10-31-2011, 3:46 PM
As noted above the G3-D is direct threaded, so it can’t be used with a lathe of different spindle sizes if you go to a larger lathe or sell the chuck.
I would go with the G3 with insert. It can be had on the bay for $125 including insert and shipping (search Nova G3) or rebuilt form Nova for $75 (with warranty). http://novatoolsusa.com/Reconditioned-Products_c10.htm
Inserts – I have four Nova chucks and all of the inserts are threaded/set screw for use in reverse turning. I do use my G3 in reverse and never use the setscrew. Unless you apply a lot of pressure in sanding it should not unthread even installing the chuck hand tight.
Nova does make inserts not tapped but I believe that is typically a “spec” from the retailer to get a larger markup. One retailer offers an insert “made for Nova chucks” and also a “Nova insert”.

As far as the package deal… depends on what you want to do. You will also need to add the price of the insert ($23?).
The Mini Cole jaws, I don’t have any but it seems most people relegate them a storage drawer after a little while.
The pin jaws and 35mm bowl jaws have the same basic spigot gripping size (as do the 25mm bowl jaws).
If you did purchase from other places I would add either the pin jaws or the 25mm bowl jaws.
For 35mm jaws I would go with the 35mm spigot jaws to give greater grip capacity for hollow forms.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-31-2011, 7:56 PM
What everyone else said. When you buy an insert, specify "R" and you'll get an insert with a grub screw. I'd also go with a NOVA brand insert. The other insert is not as well made. Mine was a bit out of round.
I got my first G3 form e-bay also. Hard to beat 125 bucks to your door.....

Harry Robinette
10-31-2011, 11:26 PM
Rob
Buy the regular G-3 and get the adapter with the set screw and the extra jaws. I've used this set and they work very well.

Jim Sebring
11-01-2011, 12:01 AM
The original Nova 1x8 insert was lacking the grub (set) screw. Since none of the mini lathes available a few years ago had the capability of reverse turning, there was no need to have a restraining set screw. Recent models, notably the Delta 46-460, can be used in reverse. The grub screw prevents the chuck from coming loose when the lathe is run in reverse.

Rob Price
11-01-2011, 3:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm buying everything next week, I'm going to go with the bundle kit and I found the insert with the set screw so I should be all set.