PDA

View Full Version : New Powermatic PM2000 Table Saw Owners Questions?

richard poitras
10-31-2011, 11:49 AM
New Powermatic PM2000 Table Saw Owners Questions?

I have been looking at the new Delta Uni-Saw (seen in person) and considering the Powermatic PM2000
(But have not seen /only on line info) as well.
For those of you that have the 3 hp single phase motor on your Powermatic PM2000 are you running it on a 20 amp or 30 amp 220? I currently have been running my 3 hp cabinet saws on a 20 amp breaker and in talking with some of the sales guys they say a 30 amp is recommended for the Powermatic but also say a 20 will work? It kind of makes me wonder if a 30 amp is needed but to make a sale they are just telling me a 20 amp will do. If I am not mistaken I heard that overseas motors tend to draw more power on start up than there counterpart American motor’s. What breakers are you guys using? Also if you bought one of the new Powermatic 2000’s what made you purchase it over the Delta Uni-Saw and or how do you like it? How do you like the Accu-Fence System compared to the new Delta Biesemeyer fence and is the dust collection up to par as well? Has anyone used both and if so what are your thoughts?

Thanks Richard

Don Wacker
10-31-2011, 11:55 AM
It will run off 20a just fine. Mine share a 20a with a 4000 watt shop heater and both run fine at the same time. Powermatic is hit and miss with what is really needed for their 3hp motors.

Don

Jeff Monson
10-31-2011, 12:05 PM
I used to have PM200 with the 3hp motor, ran on a 20 amp circuit with no issues.

scott spencer
10-31-2011, 12:12 PM
It's not a PM2000, but I'm running a 3hp Shop Fox cab saw on a 20 amp circuit with no issues.

Charlie Barnes
10-31-2011, 12:49 PM
I have my PM2000 on a 20A breaker and don't have any problems. I've had it about 5 years and haven't had any problems. I really like the fence which is very accurate and secure. I'm using a shark guard to aid dust collection which is pretty good on material 3/4" and below. When you get above that, there is some dust that escapes from under the guard due to the way it is designed. The main reason that I chose PM over Delta at that time was the riving knife and the internal mobile base. Until last year, I used the mobile feature frequently and liked the fact that it didn't take up any additional space. Now I have a dedicated shop, so that wouldn't be a factor if I was to purchase again. I frankly don't know which saw I'd choose between the PM and new Delta today if I had to do it again.

Charlie

Paul McGaha
10-31-2011, 1:08 PM
My 3 HP Unisaw runs off a 20 amp circuit.

PHM

George wilmore
10-31-2011, 8:34 PM
Get the 5hp unisaw same price as the 3hp unisaw from tools plus with three hundred dollar rebate from delta it is hard to beat the price. My new 5 hp unisaw runs great, but I did install a 30 amp circuit.

Doug Colombo
10-31-2011, 9:01 PM
I have the new 3HP Unisaw and no isses at all running it on a 20 amp circuit. I looked at both saws but liked the fact that the Unisaw was cast, machined, and assembled in the US. Although there are some non-US parts to the saw, from what I could see all critical pieces are made here. Also, the Delta's riving knife position adjustment (for non-through cuts and removal) are done with a lever from the front of the saw, as is the angle adjustments. Both of these features I felt were a lot nicer than the PM. I did buy the moble base for the Unisaw, which I am very happy with, but the PM's intregrated one is sure nice. Only question I had on the PM intregrated base was how easy is it to use with an extension table mounted to the saw. The Delta base is under not only the saw but also the extension table - both move as one unit. What I can say is that I have never looked back and wished that I had bought the PM.

richard poitras
10-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Get the 5hp unisaw same price as the 3hp unisaw from tools plus with three hundred dollar rebate from delta it is hard to beat the price. My new 5 hp unisaw runs great, but I did install a 30 amp circuit.

This week end tools plus is having a sale on the 3 hp delta 50’’ fence for 10 percent off and the $300.00 rebate which makes the saw come in at $2400.00 out the door and if you add the mobile base it is $2600.00 with a 5 year warranty or you can get the Powermatic PM2000 Onyx Limited Edition for $2700.00 with the Amana 3 Blade set and Fatigue Mat and the built in mobile base and a 7.5 warranty. Just more info to put into the mix of what to purchase? :eek:

David Kumm
10-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Hey Richard, didn't you just sell a PM 66? Wondering your reasons for buying a new saw. Dave

Joe Leigh
11-01-2011, 7:14 AM
The PM 2000 has a larger cast iron table than the Unisaw with more room in front of the blade. That DOES make a big difference. I believe it is heavier also which gives a more stable feel. Dust collection is about the same but The PM has in my opinion a better fence.
As for power supply, 220v 20amp circuit is more than enough for the PM2000.

Doug Colombo
11-01-2011, 11:05 PM
The PM 2000 has a larger cast iron table than the Unisaw with more room in front of the blade. That DOES make a big difference. I believe it is heavier also which gives a more stable feel. Dust collection is about the same but The PM has in my opinion a better fence.
As for power supply, 220v 20amp circuit is more than enough for the PM2000.
I think you have your PM2000 and Unisaw mixed up. Per the spec sheets, the PM2000 has "table in front of saw blade at full cutting depth" of 11.25" - Unisaw is 13.5". Table size of the PM2000 is 42" by 30.5", Unisaw is 42" x 31".

richard poitras
11-01-2011, 11:37 PM
I believe the throat plate hole is bigger also on the Uni-Saw

Doug Colombo
11-02-2011, 10:02 AM
I believe the throat plate hole is bigger also on the Uni-Saw

You are correct. Not sure on the PM2000, but the Unisaw also has a small door in the front that can be opened to allow access to the cabinet on the off chance that you drop a nut, etc in the cabinet while changing blades (don't ask how I know) :o

Joe Leigh
11-02-2011, 11:12 AM
You are correct. Not sure on the PM2000, but the Unisaw also has a small door in the front that can be opened to allow access to the cabinet on the off chance that you drop a nut, etc in the cabinet while changing blades (don't ask how I know) :o

The PM has a hinged motor/cabinet access door as well.

Joey Chavez
11-03-2011, 10:49 AM
I came across the same concern when I bought a Laguna bandsaw with a 3hp motor. Manual said 30amp, salesman said 20amp would do. I've had no issues with running it on the 20am circuit.

Paul McGaha
11-04-2011, 6:58 PM
Have you decided yet Richard?

Just curious which one you chose and why?

2 good choices no doubt.

PHM

richard poitras
11-05-2011, 8:31 PM
Paul Pm sent...