PDA

View Full Version : Hand saw questions

Gary Daniel
10-31-2011, 10:29 AM
A friend of mine brought me this saw to see if I could repair/sharpen it. (I'm still a novice at sharpening but I've repaired/sharpened over 40 saws....practice makes perfect.) It was pretty "grimy" and the handle was broken. I used some 0000 steel wool and mineral spirits to clean it up a little. I then noticed that the medallion said "Warranted Superior" and "Pat Dec 21 1869". I was curious when the saw was made so I did some searches on the internet to see what I could find out. I did find some info but nothing that would help date the saw. I understand from the Disstonian Institute:

"When you find an American WS saw, there may be a slightly less than 50% chance that it was made by Disston. Disston had a very large portion of the market, but it was not a monopoly. Atkins, Bishop, Jennings, Woodrough & McParlin, and Simonds (1900-1926) were a few of the large saw manufacturers that made saws with some form of a WS medallion with an eagle. Atkins' secondary line was actually labeled "Phoenix Warranted."

My question is, can any of you tell from the medallion when this saw was made and who made it?

Thanks

Chris Vandiver
10-31-2011, 10:54 AM
I would venture to say that with the flush medallion and the fact that the saw has spilt nuts, that it was made prior to 1880.

Gary Daniel
10-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks Chris

Maurice Ungaro
10-31-2011, 11:20 AM
looks like the handle was sawn off at the bottom too.

Joshua Clark
11-01-2011, 11:41 PM
The medallion in that saw features Munger's 1869 patent date. The medallion is obviously made in two parts as per Munger's patent. Only a few makers used this patent- Peace, and Richardson to name the most prominent. I believe Wheeler, Madden, and Clemson used it as well as Woodrough and McParlin. Some of the smaller makers like Boynton used it as well. Disston did not use this patent so it's probably not a Disston-made saw. It's a fairly generic handle style. Without an etch or stamp it's going to be impossible to say for sure who made it.

-Josh

Gary Daniel
11-02-2011, 6:08 AM
Thanks Joshua. I checked the blade again, there is no etch on it but there is the stamp of a number "3" on it if you remove the handle. (top corner and the 3 is sideways)