PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
10-31-2011, 8:54 AM
31 Oct 2011

Good Morning Everyone,
We've been enjoying the cooler temps here as well as the really nice weather. I really like climate change...it ever so closely resembles season changes. :)

I do have a question for everyone today in hopes of getting another project done for the family doctor. He brought me a handmade 1935 sewing basket that has a veneer top. The old piece was redone about 10-15 years ago and the veneer top appears to have come loose in a couple of places in the middle of the top. I'm almost 100% sure that it was put down with yellow ww'ers glue.
What's my best chance of repairing this thing without having to tear is all down and redo the piece?

The day job has been challenging here lately and I've worked more hours than I care to count. Too bad I don't get over time pay!

Well, that's it for me this week, so what did YOU do this Halloween weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jerome Hanby
10-31-2011, 9:03 AM
I've got a POD sitting in the drive way. Have pretty much filled it up with stuff from the right hand side of the shop. Got my conduit installed and wiring done for the right side (4 two circuit 20 amp duplex outlets). Installed the first piece (with the bend) of conduit to start wiring the left side shop outlets. Opend up pone of my surplus fluorescent lights and verified that the replacement sockets I bought off the 'bay will fit (they will). Good thing I ordered a bunch, the wiring for the new T8 ballasts are totally different than the existing T12s, so replacing all the sockets will be much easier that trying to use the old ones. Ordered some top moint hangers for suspending the lights and bought a reel of jack chain. Need to clean all thee light fixtures, strip them down, repaint them (I figure clean shinny white will be more reflective) and rewire them with the new ballasts and sockets. Once I finish the left side wiring and fixing up the lights, I'll schedule a day off, get a scissor lift rented and delivered for a long weekend, and get these lights hung and wired (along with several drop outlets). I can almost see light at the end of the tunnel towards actually being able to work in my shop!

Joe Mioux
10-31-2011, 9:32 AM
I worked my English pointer over some live quail yesterday. I got this dog last September. She went through training this spring and summer. However, she still needs to have that "light bulb" moment that she is a bird dog and is supposed to find birds and not just run around.

Matt Meiser
10-31-2011, 10:21 AM
I've never tried it, but I've heard yellow glue can be reactivated with heat from an iron. Not sure about after 10-15 years though. Unless it has a heat-sensitive finish, it doesn't seem like it would do any harm to try. I assume you'd heat it up then clamp with a caul until it cools.

I stayed up late Friday to watch the end of the World Series. I'm not really a sports fan but since I work for a company in St. Louis and have a lot of family there its my second home. That meant I got a slow start on Saturday and by the time I got our camper taken to the winter storage place and caught up on a couple weeks of This Old House from the DVR it was time to run some errands (including a stop at Woodcraft where I picked up a Rotex) and then on to the next-door neighbors for a Halloween party.

Sunday I did some cleanup outside, burned all my accumulated scrap, and worked some on the dining table, working on face jointing and planing the stock for the top--a fair bit of work for enough material for a fully-open top of 110x46x1" thick from "5/4" stock that measures a hair under 1.5" thick. I've filled my drum with fluffy planer shavings twice and still have about 0.15" to remove. I also got the tractor ready for snow plowing in light of the weather in the northeast. I'm sure it won't be long for us.

David Hostetler
10-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Got the legs for the Christmas tree stand finished, and all the glue up is done. I need to take it out of clamps, cut the dowels flush, and get busy sanding now... I have a couple of spots where the drill bit grabbed and tore instead of cut, so I need to go back with some wood filler. Good thing this is destined to be painted! Started in on shop cleanup. It needs to be cleaned badly. The floor is feeling soft and springy due to the sawdust on the floor!

jared herbert
10-31-2011, 1:01 PM
Turned a couple of slate turkey calls out of some walnut crotch wood, they look nice. Went pheasant hunting with my son Saturday afternoon and got 5 pheasants. Live trapped and disposed of a skunk that was eating all of my cat and dog food. So all in all the weekend was a success. Jared

Ralph Butts
10-31-2011, 1:44 PM
I finally completed a couple of projects around the house. One shop project, a new router cabinet based upon Norm's NYWS design with a Bench Dog CI table and lift. The other a more honey-do related item. I think I have now gone from the worst mailbox on the block to the best looking one.

211556 211554 211555

Aaron Conway
10-31-2011, 7:41 PM
I whipped up a stand for my grinder so I can get it off my bench. All made from scrap wood.

Jason Neal
10-31-2011, 10:56 PM
Finally made a table for my drill press. Turned out better than I could have hoped, almost too good to use. Almost. I designed it so it is snug slip-fit over the die cast plate, which you can see from the underside view. That way I can take it on and off quickly when I just need some added support for larger workpieces. I'm typically drilling wood so I imagine it will stay in place most of the time, so the two knobs on the bottom thread into tapped holes to hold it in place.

Made a couple of hold downs and the replaceable insert from scraps salvaged from the firewood pile. The insert fits into a 15/32" recess so I can make replacements from scrap plywood without getting fancy, though it's wearing a cherry insert for the photo shoot :D

The new, larger table was interfering with the hand crank that is used to raise/lower the table so I fashioned a new one out of an oak scrap, a dowel, and a brass insert. Seems to work nicely.

The sliding fence is cut into a goofy shape to clear the handle as it swings through.

And hey, I didn't botch anything up or lacerate myself while building it. A real milestone for me!

Your comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Best regards,
Jason Neal

Jim Rimmer
11-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Would you consider posting the plans? I may not have the same DP but could probably adapt to mine.

Jason Neal
11-02-2011, 8:00 PM
Jim,

Sorry for the delay, been a couple of long days at work.

I made a quick hand sketch to start with, including a few overall dimensions but then dimensioned other things as I went along. Being a one-off, I probably didn't write many of them down. I'll go out to the shop later this evening and see if what I have is worth scanning in. Since you will want to adjust it for your DP, maybe some additional photos, including some of it off the DP would be helpful.

Jim Rimmer
11-03-2011, 1:28 PM
The pics you suggest would help. Don't want to be too much of a PIA, though.

Jim Becker
11-03-2011, 9:12 PM
Weekend accomplishments...um...not much. 15 hour power outage due to the wonderful early snow storm that we in the northeast "enjoyed", although we did stimulate the economy on Friday night and picked up Professor Dr. SWMBO's new Subaru Outback Limited just in time for the snow to fall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/outback-pickup.jpg

Jason Neal
11-04-2011, 3:40 AM
Hi Jim,

I took some additional photos and scanned in my quick hand sketch, and then saved it to a PDF to give it all some semblance of order. It's by no means what I would call a plan but I hope you find it useful. Oh, I had to break the PDF into pieces to get under the piddly 150kB limit. Just let me know if you have any questions.211944211943211942

Craig Behnke
11-04-2011, 9:06 AM
got two things done, a pen with a pen and business card holder, and got my most recent gravity powered, wooden gear clock running like a champ (accurate to 1-2 minutes per day)

Jim Rimmer
11-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Hi Jim,

I took some additional photos and scanned in my quick hand sketch, and then saved it to a PDF to give it all some semblance of order. It's by no means what I would call a plan but I hope you find it useful. Oh, I had to break the PDF into pieces to get under the piddly 150kB limit. Just let me know if you have any questions.211944211943211942
Those are great. Thanks a bunch.