PDA

View Full Version : Dog question

John Coloccia
10-31-2011, 8:07 AM
When daddy is cold and hungry, and generally grumpy because his power's out AGAIN, and he let's his dog out to do his "business", what is he looking around for that's so darn important??? What makes the "perfect" spot??? Round and 'round and 'round..sniff here, sniff there...he examines his options....maybe he even assumes the position, and changes his mind...there's something not quite right.

I don't get it. I love him but he's a dog. He drinks out of the toilet. Ive seen him eat egg shells that accidentally fall on the floor. There is not one area of his life were he's ever been particularly fussy or persnickety...except when it's time to go out. Then everything must be perfect. What the heck is he looking for??? Seriously.

Charles Wiggins
10-31-2011, 8:58 AM
I've noted the same behavior to one degree or another in a lot of dogs. I did a quick search and could not find a definitive answer, but from what I've read about dogs there may be a couple of things in play here. First, the nose is a dogs primary means of gathering information and they have to check up on all the squirrels and chipmunks who've been through the yard since the last time he was out, plus he needs to make sure it's safe to do his business. If they need to defecate, it usually takes a few minutes for their bowels to relax enough to make that possible, so sniffing is something else to do while they're waiting for that to happen. Then there is marking behavior. Especially in males, this is a strong instinct. Urinating and defecating are ways of claiming territory and maintaining territory and where he needs to mark will all depend on what areas have the strongest odor and where another animal had marked last. We have a chihuahua who will go around the yard and continue to "mark" even when he's out of ammo. The two female terriers aren't quite so picky and they are always faster if I go out with them (mostly to watch and make sure they go - they're only a year old) because I praise them and make a big deal out of it. They don't respond to that so much as they get older, though.

Just some thoughts.

Charles

Jon McElwain
10-31-2011, 2:08 PM
Yeah, it has got to have something to do with the marking thing. On my walks with our Golden Retriever, he hits the same spot - within about 3 square feet EVERY time we go out. In the yard he does not seem to have a huge preference except it is almost as if he is spreading it out evenly across the yard. We also have a wood fence with tight fitting slats, so not a whole lot of other critters are back there doing their business - no need for the dog to mark over another animals scent.

Bill Edwards(2)
10-31-2011, 2:13 PM
He's just showing you who's in charge.............................. his butt!!

Rick Moyer
10-31-2011, 4:59 PM
Maybe you should give him a magazine! :D

Bryan Morgan
11-01-2011, 2:59 PM
I think he is smelling for areas where he has gone before, as not to contaminate the "clean zones". At least thats what my dogs seem to be doing. They always go in the same areas but have to sniff all over first. Of course one of them can't just squat and do their thing... they have to drop a little here, spin around, drop a little there, walk a little bit, drop some more... No fun when clean up day comes.

Mike Cruz
11-01-2011, 5:11 PM
John, we're all like that in one way or another...just about different things. If your dog saw you picking out lumber for a project, he'd roll his eyes, give out a big sigh, plop to the floor and think... "What on EARTH is he doing? They are ALL the same! Just pick one and let's move on, will ya? Do I really have to stay here and WAIT for you to pick out the perfect one? Why does he keep sniffing the wood?"

glenn bradley
11-01-2011, 8:20 PM
he's just showing you who's in charge.............................. His butt!!

:d :d :d :d

Cynthia White
11-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I have 2 dogs. The old male takes forever to find a spot (2 acres) but always does his "business" in the same place. For the rest, I think of it as like conversation. He lifts his leg against the fence to tell the lab next door, "listen, this is Tbo, and you stay on your side, buddy, or I'll eat you for a snack." He says to the horses on the other side, "I'd love to come by for a visit but mom boarded up the bottom of the fence so I can't climb through anymore." The female dog on the other hand will do anything anywhere including right outside the door on the patio if it's snowing outside. She doesn't want to mess up her hair.

Rich Engelhardt
11-02-2011, 9:20 AM
IMHO - they all do things like that because:
A.) They can.
B.) They're goofy.

Our German Shephard could and would "go" any and everywhere - and - depending on how displeased she was with us,,,,she could do it on command in a heartbeat.
I left her in the car once to run into the store for a pack of cigaretts & in the blink of an eye she built the twin to the Great Pyramid @ Gaza - right on the drivers seat...

Where she was picky though was finding a place to lay down. She'd walk around and around and around in circles, dig and root at her bed, toss all the bedding out, then wimper until one of us put it back. Then she'd go through the whole routine again. Sometimes three or four times.
LOL! See above about the pyramids - you only yelled at her to stop fooling around an lay down - once!

Karl Wicklund
11-02-2011, 11:07 AM
A couple of times on WPR, I've heard an animal science professor address this, and it's very much what Charles said. The nose is one of the dog's primary means of picking up information. She made the analogy that taking a dog on a walk and yanking him along when he stops to check something out would be like sitting down to relax and read the paper in the morning, but as soon as you start reading an article, someone turns the page.
So, he's probably not really looking for something in particular, he's just looking around.