PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Bosch Glide manufactured?

Larry Edgerton
10-31-2011, 6:55 AM
I was ready to pull the trigger on a glide but read somewhere that it is made in China. True or false?

Larry

Steven Satur
10-31-2011, 7:47 AM
True, China.

Mark Ashmeade
10-31-2011, 8:39 AM
Robert Bosch is a very large company. They have 300,000 employees, own 320 subsidiaries, own the brands Dremel, Freud, Rotozip, Skil and Vermont American. With such a large company, it's highly unlikely that all the products sold in a particular market will be made in that country. They do employ 25,000 Americans though.

The Mac I'm typing this on was also made in China. There are no better made computers out there, so if the QC is up to par, then you'll have no problems. I certainly haven't had any with my GCM12SD.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2011, 12:17 PM
I will remind everyone that political statements, unproven accusations violate the Terms Of Service. This website it open for the ENTIRE WORLD TO SEE thus.....international politics and/or statements violate the TOSs also.

Please refrain from making such statements.

Larry Edgerton
10-31-2011, 5:19 PM
I wasn't making a political statement, I just asked.........

Larry

Andy Sowers
10-31-2011, 5:30 PM

Larry

Ken's comments were, I believe, directed at some other replies which have also coincidentally been removed from public view...

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2011, 6:24 PM

Larry

Ken's comments were, I believe, directed at some other replies which have also coincidentally been removed from public view...

Larry......Andy is absolutely correct.

John TenEyck
10-31-2011, 7:23 PM
I bought a 12" Bosch DCMS only to find out after I got it out of the box that it was made in China. Many reviews said it was "perfect out of the box". Not true, by a long shot, but it was after I tuned it following the well written manual, and it has remained so for two years now and after several jobsite trips. I wasn't pleased that it was made in China, but I am pleased with the saw. I'd say if you like the features of the saw to buy it. Regardless of where it was made, you're buying a Bosch product.

Jim Matthews
10-31-2011, 9:11 PM
My circa 1927 Langdon miter box (http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt359/GalootRick/The%20Langdon%20Miter%20Box%20at%20work/IMG_0385.jpg) and Disston saw are both quality domestic products that have stood the test of time.
Cordless, too.

Doug Colombo
10-31-2011, 9:22 PM
I'd say if you like the features of the saw to buy it. Regardless of where it was made, you're buying a Bosch product.
I agree with John's comment above - I have the Glide and love the saw - and as he stated, you're buying a Bosch product. I bought a new Unisaw over other saws not only because it had the features that I was looking for, but it is the only table saw that is cast, machined, and assmbled here in the US. The Glide was the only saw that I found that could cross cut 14" and not take up all of the room that the slider type saws does - It hurts to say this but I do not believe that you will find any saw like that made here in the US.

Peter Quinn
10-31-2011, 9:56 PM
Far as I know nobody makes a miter box here at all. SCMS that is, not the you push it kind. So the real question In my mind is do you want to use a SCMS or not, because unless you buy a festool, its going to come from a country with a different economic model than ours. Festool might be Asian parts too? I'll take a look at the one at work, as soon as they turn the lights back on here in the northeast again. Can we still discuss economics, or is that out too? Politics and economics are so often begrudging dancing partners, it can be hard to completely separate the two. Well, if you want a quality SCMS, i guess you have to shop brand, because the supply chain is so convoluted and complex you can't chart it from the outside of the production system. They have a sunami in Japan, the auto and computer industries get short on parts. THey have floods in Thailand, the auto and computer industries get short on parts. Hummmm. Stuff gets made from parts that come from all over. And it all keeps evolving.

One day, in the long long long run, the world may reach parity. Economists love to discuss the theory of parity. And that means WE will get paid as badly as THEY do. Or we will all be equal? That part we who work with our hands are already feeling. Who WE are and who THEY are falls in the domain of politics, so I'll stay way away from that. What does this mean for carpenters that need a miter saw? Not much really. Its all so confusing, I have given up on using any indicators of performance or quality beyond color. Seriously, I just shop based on color now. Where does it come from? Who cares. Does it match my shop decor is frankly a more important question. They all cut wood, they all bevel, they all miter, none are as rigid as you might like. I can adapt to almost any tool, learn to bend my own style around a tools quirks or features. But the color is hard to change. I prefer shades of blue, grays, a monochromatic black and white. Red and grey is nice too with a bit of saw dust on it. Green and black with a splash of white looks great, yellow I have never cared for, orange does not suit my complexion. It makes as much sense to me as anything these days!

Larry Edgerton
11-01-2011, 7:22 AM
I have given up on using any indicators of performance or quality beyond color. Seriously, I just shop based on color now. Where does it come from? Who cares. Does it match my shop decor is frankly a more important question. They all cut wood, they all bevel, they all miter, none are as rigid as you might like. I can adapt to almost any tool, learn to bend my own style around a tools quirks or features. But the color is hard to change. I prefer shades of blue, grays, a monochromatic black and white. Red and grey is nice too with a bit of saw dust on it. Green and black with a splash of white looks great, yellow I have never cared for, orange does not suit my complexion. It makes as much sense to me as anything these days!

And here in lies my problem. I have two Hitachi sliders and a Hitachi 15", and the green is overpowering my shop. I wanted to go with a rainbow motif {seriously!} in my new shop, and so I need to either paint some tools or pick up more tools in the primary colors. I am short on red tools and blue tools, and as you know green is not a primary color at all. Porter Cable, once my favorite is out as I can not have that drab gray bringing down the mood in my shop. As much as I hate Dewalt, I do need another Dewalt to balance out what I am trying to achieve here. I thought a Bosch would add to the whole but a Makita may just be the ticket......

Larry

Jake Elkins
11-01-2011, 9:26 AM
Far as I know nobody makes a miter box here at all . . .

Last I checked (about a year ago), Makita was still making 10" and 12" miter saws here in the US. I realize that parts are most certainly sourced, but it supports at least a single American manufacturing (assembling??) job, and whether right or wrong, this is important to me. Their newest saws offer some nice features, and the 12" can X-cut nearly 15" at 90°.

I don't own one, but if I needed a miter saw tomorrow, Makita would be on my short list of possibilities.

Peter Quinn
11-01-2011, 9:45 AM
Last I checked (about a year ago), Makita was still making 10" and 12" miter saws here in the US. I realize that parts are most certainly sourced, but it supports at least a single American manufacturing (assembling??) job, and whether right or wrong, this is important to me. Their newest saws offer some nice features, and the 12" can X-cut nearly 15" at 90°.

I don't own one, but if I needed a miter saw tomorrow, Makita would be on my short list of possibilities.

That's good to know. I own a Makita 10" SCMS. I would have bought a bosch, but they had just come out, were largely unavailable, and ungodly expensive relative to the reworked makita. Plus I prefer the makita blue to that of the bosch anyway. I replaced an older makita with the newer rev. I guess I just instinctively chose the "most American" SCMS available to sit next to a 70 year old DeWalt RAS? THey keep each other company, and the makita adds a much needed splash of color to the industrial gray/green drab of the DeWalt GR. I later added a minimax shaper in the older soft green motif. The makita and dewalt sit in a line with the minimax, and if I didn't know better I'd swear the minimax was the love child of the two. But the pet store (uh, tool store?) promised me they were both males? Come to think of it there is a Delta shaper down there too! Perhaps the delta got friendly with the dewalt? Might explain the color of the minimax?

I'm pretty sure the only good reason for that new dewalt yellow is so a contractor can spot one of his tools leaving a job site in some one else's truck from a good distance? Otherwise they look like loud angry bumble bees o me.

Larry Edgerton
11-03-2011, 6:57 AM

My problem is the amount af Azek work I am getting and what it does to slide saws. The slides get buildup, and you are done. I have tried every brand, and although some are better than others, it stops them all.

I am going to try to get by a little longer with my current saws so as not to contribute to a national problem. The solution is so simple I would imagine other manufacturers are working on something close.

Larry

Morey St. Denis
11-03-2011, 3:36 PM
"Regardless of where it was made, you're buying a Bosch product." Not necessarily true, in my experience! Brings to mind an ordeal I had buying a Bosch automotive part. Needed a new Oxygen sensor for my car, opted not to go OEM from the Chrysler dealer. The Robert Bosch company invented the dang O2 sensor technology now used on virtually all newer automobiles. Sought out the Bosch brand component, located at the NAPA Auto parts store. The multi color printed box said Robert Bosch auto part, made in Gemany. Counter sales opened the box at my request to confirm the correct component. O2 sensor stamped "Denso" Japan... Suspecting a mix-up they pulled a second from the shelf, it was an identical Denso brand part. Apparently only the box, not the component within needs to come from the stated country of origin anymore. Bosch and many others are now perfectly happy leveraging their brand reputation by repackaging instead of manufacturing. This Denso part lasted less than 2 years till failure, whereas my OEM went for 8! Cause enough to be highly suspicous of "Bosch brand" repackaged auto parts.

That said, I still do like most Bosch woodworking and construction tools. I know from experience that nothing beats the Bosch 1591 barrel-grip Jig saw on design, performance and comfort. That one and the more common 1590 are still european quality, manufactured in Switzerland. I've also enjoyed the features, performance and reliability of my Bosch 1677MD worm-drive circular saw and 1594K power planer, apparently made in China.