PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with Grizzy Edge Sanders????

Bruce Krogel
10-30-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm looking for info/opinions/recommendations concerning Grizzly edge sanders. Specifically, I'm looking at the G9984 Osc. Edge Sander and wondering if anybody out here has personal experience with it. I like the idea of having the extra capacity (almost 48") but wondering if an extra 9 - 12" is worth another $900. Any info or recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA.
bruce

Mike Metz
10-30-2011, 11:38 PM
I have the G0564, works great! Plenty of power and belts change easily

Bruce Krogel
10-30-2011, 11:50 PM
I have the G0564, works great! Plenty of power and belts change easily

Thanks for the recommendation Mike. I looked at that model but wasn't sure how I would like the tilting head. To be honest, I wasn't sure if the tilting head design was a good one since almost all other machines utilize a tilting table. Obviously it works well for you.....would you buy the same machine again?

Mike Metz
10-31-2011, 12:00 AM
Actually for the amount that i use it, i think i might get the smaller unit. It takes up a good amount of space in the shop. As for the tilting head, it works really well and holds true when set for any angle.

Scott T Smith
10-31-2011, 3:17 PM
Bruce, I also have a G0564 that I am very pleased with. The quality is excellent, and it has plenty of power. The 9984 looks pretty solid as well.

Ed Hazel
10-31-2011, 6:01 PM
I have the Go564 also I reworked the dust duct work on the motor end so I can push pieces off both ends. I routinely do 8ft edges no problem. I would but it again.

Mark Rakestraw
11-01-2011, 2:36 PM
Well, I [U]was[U] happy with my G0564 until you had to go show me the 9984:) I often need a little more length for edge sanding taller doors, but with a little care flipping them end for end handles them just fine. No problems with the tilting mechanism.
Mark

Mike Heidrick
11-01-2011, 3:09 PM
Folks - check out the Vega Edge sander. It is a tough to explain to you how heavy duty their machine is. It is a freeking I beam with 8" diameter drive head and a 2hp Leeson motor the same size as my keg size 5 Baldor relaince motor. You can bolt tables on the end and the backside too and another platen or use the back for curved work. Main steel platen is 48". Even has a baldor DC motor for oscilation. Crazy nice for $2Knew and uses very standard 6"X132" long belts. I bought a ton of 3M belts for mine on ebay. Check it out - EBS-6 from http://www.vegawoodworking.com/ . When you see one in person you will never look at another $2K 108" edge sander again!