PDA

View Full Version : New Mortiser

Adam Cormier
10-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Hey all,

I just purchased a General 75-040 M1 5/8” Hollow Chisel Mortiser. I am pretty excited to start some new mortise and tenon work. I am going to attach it to a mobile work stand as these things sure are tough to move around at almost 100lbs!

It came with 4 stock chisels but I am not sure about the quality of them. This will be the first dedicated mortiser I have ever used. Prior, I used a mortise attachment on a drill press.

I am just wondering what everyone thinks of this machine. Are there any concerns? Any advice/tips?

Thanks for looking,

Adam

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2011, 9:11 AM
Adam,

I have the GI 77-050T M1 mortiser with the stock bits.

It works well but I 'll give you some advice.

Buy a sharpening kit and a set of diamond cone hones for the chisels. Most if not all chisels are not really sharp when they arrive from the factory. Flatten and hone the outside edges and then sharpen and hone the inside edges with a cone shaped hone kit. You can buy both at Rockler. If not, you will probably be less than satisfied with the performance of any brand of chisels.

Neil Brooks
10-31-2011, 9:52 AM
If not, you will probably be less than satisfied with the performance of any brand of chisels.

Which is a very nice way of saying ... you'll curse at them, and tear out your hair ;)

He's 'xacly right. The chisels need work, right out of the box. The difference is yooge :)