PDA

View Full Version : A Banksia Pod finial for the mesquite root hf

Kathy Marshall
10-30-2011, 10:35 PM
I was looking for a quick project when I remembered a couple small Banksia Pods I received from another turner.
I've never turned Banksia pods before, so I thought I'd give it a whirl and see what I could come up with. I thought I might be able to make an ornament from one, but once I got started I realized it was going to be way too small for that, so I played around and turned it into a finial. I figured I might be able to use it as an icicle on an ornament or something else sooner or later.
When I took it into the house, I put it on the mesquite root hf just to see how it would look, and I actually liked it, although I don't know if I'll leave it on this piece.
It's not very delicate, I figured it wouldn't be very wise to go too thin with all the holes. I gave it a light coat of BLO and a couple coats of laqcuer sanding sealer.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Dick Wilson
10-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Kathy, I think the finial looks great. Hmmmm. Here is a thought. Get yellow acrylic that matches the sap wood and paint the banksia pod holes for accent. Like I said....just a thought:D

Doug W Swanson
10-30-2011, 11:20 PM
It's different but I like it. Aren't those Banksia pods messy to turn? I've done a few of them and the stuff goes EVERYWHERE!

Harry Robinette
10-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Kathy
Now that is really neat,I believe you did a really good thing that looks really good Totally love it.

Norm Zax
10-31-2011, 6:10 AM
Very original. Nice thinking!

Paul Heely
10-31-2011, 6:50 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a pod finial before. Cool idea, and I think it looks just fine.

John Keeton
10-31-2011, 7:07 AM
Kathy, the proportions are right, and I like the texture. Not crazy about the color combination with the mesquite - otherwise, it works!

Michelle Rich
10-31-2011, 9:19 AM
If you like it, then it's great. I'd keep the finial around, and try it on lots of vessels. Maybe you'll turn one that fits it to a "T" !! Remember too, that new stuff is hard to get used to. 3 months from now, so many folks will make them, that they will be the standard, and everyone will love them!! :-) Black will be "so-yesterday" !!!

David E Keller
10-31-2011, 9:38 AM
I think it's pretty cool! That's not the easiest material from which to make finials or anything else for that matter... Neat looking stuff but I can't say that I enjoy turning it.

Bernie Weishapl
10-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Really nice. I have found it hard to turn so from what I see you did a excellent job. I like it.