PDA

View Full Version : Possible Powermatic 15s planer gloat.

keith micinski
10-30-2011, 6:57 PM
I found this planer on Craigslist for 1400 with an extra set of knives. It looks like it has seen very little use and over all is in great shape cosmetically. The owner said it is 5 or 6 years old but I am hoping I can't find out how old it is with serial number somewhere. What really makes it a gloat is that I just sold my 2 year old DW 735 for 400 and I sold a brand new one for 450 back when Home depot was blowing these out. I think I only paid 400 bucks for them together when they were new.

keith micinski
10-30-2011, 7:01 PM
Oh, I must admit I originally thought that the spiral head was like a byrd head so I was really disappointed when I found out it wasn't. I hope the knifes aren't as hard as it looks to get set right other wise I will probably not own this planer very long because one of the big reasons I like the Byrd head was the longevity and the ease of replacing the cutters.

Paul McGaha
10-30-2011, 7:17 PM
Still, NIce clean planer Keith. Congratulations. Hope you like it ok.

PHM

Jeffrey Makiel
10-30-2011, 9:22 PM
Worse case, you can change out the head with a segmented helical cutterhead by Byrd. You would probably break even on your investment.

These 15" planers are somewhat generic. I don't own one, but may SMC'ers do. They sound like proven machines.

Upgrading (if you can't get replacement knives for your current head), would probably still be worth it.

Cheer up!

Jeff :)

keith micinski
10-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Well at 1200 for the byrd head I think I will be sending it down the road before I do that.

Don Morris
10-31-2011, 3:45 AM
Right...at 1200 for the Byrd head, nice try, no banana. Ohhhh, but soooo close.