PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw decision

Fred Belknap
10-30-2011, 6:33 PM
I have a 16" Grizzly BS and the height of cut is like 7.5". A lot of blocks that I like to use won't go under the blade guide. I am seriously considering a new BS. Mine works great in it's range but I want bigger. I am looking at the G0513 or the G0514. One is the 17" and the other is the 19". The 17" has 2hp motor and the 19" has a 3hp motor, the height of cut is 12" on both saws. The price of the two I'm looking at are similar, I want one with a foot brake or motor brake or both. The 19" has a larger table. What do you think, if I go with the larger motor I may have to change my wall plug which isn't a deal breaker.
Decisions, decisions:D:D

Fred

Tony De Masi
10-30-2011, 7:15 PM
Fred, I have the 514X2 and love it. I've put some rather large blanks on there, some that took two people to handle, and it did great. Foot brake is nice too. Also, if you are going to put the spine of the machine facing a wall make sure you leave enough clearance to fully open the doors for blade changing. DAMHIKT.

David E Keller
10-30-2011, 8:33 PM
I've had the 0513 for a couple of years now, and I'm pretty happy with it. I did change the tires on it early on, but that's the only bit of maintainence it has required. I've cut up to the max dimensions allowed without any trouble, so I can't see that a 3hp motor would be much use to me unless it allowed for a larger cut.

Bill Bolen
10-30-2011, 8:35 PM
Another with a decent rep is the Rikon 14" saw and it has a 13" re saw capacity!

Reed Gray
10-30-2011, 8:50 PM
If you are going to be doing a lot of resawing at 12 inches or more, you really need at least 2 hp. The biggest short coming of most bandsaws are that they are made for throat depth, and not cutting height. For what we need, as turners, is more height, and more table away from the throat. I love my 16 Laguna HD. A huge time saver. It has 4.5 hp motor, and has no problem cutting to full height with a 1 1/4 inch blade.

robo hippy.

Joe Watson
10-30-2011, 8:58 PM
Have had the G0513 for less then a year and like it. Have re-sawn 10" walnut planks with no problem (3/4 blade), sliced up some small logs into planks along with bowl blanks and other things - never had a hint of a problem.

When i was looking for a band saw there was something i noticed on the Grizzle site: "riser block's".
Just an example: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Riser-Block-For-G0580/H7316
(http://www.grizzly.com/products/Riser-Block-For-G0580/H7316)

tom martin
10-30-2011, 9:24 PM
Fred,I saw the Woodcraft sale flier today has the laguna 14 in saw listed. It has three hp and 14" resaw!

Bob Bergstrom
10-30-2011, 9:59 PM
I've goten tired to buying bandsaw blades and hefting the blank up on the saw and holding it to cut it round. I have gone to using a good electric chainsaw instead. I put a plywood template on the log and just cut the four corners off and then cut the four corners off again giving me and octagon. I let my 3520 do the rest of the work.

Harry Robinette
10-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Fred
I have the Rikon 18"BS and love it only thing is no brake:(. When I cut big blanks for the Vega 2600 I do what Bob B. does with my electric chain saw much easier on the back:D Blanks under 18" I do use the Rikon and it works great,use a Timber Wolf blade 1/2" 3 TPI cuts like butter.

Doug Herzberg
10-31-2011, 8:41 AM
Fred, I started a similar thread a few days ago in the general woodworking forum. I'm trying to decide between the 14 and 18" Rikons, currently on sale at WC and the 5013X2F. Lots of good comments on all three of these machines. Still haven't decided. I may look at the 5014 as well. The new Rikons coming out will have foot brakes, but the ones on sale at WC don't. I looked at the Rikons and was pretty impressed, but I like the foot brake idea and don't want to wait.

Jim Burr
10-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for starting this Fred! I'm up against the same issue having an old POC Craftsman 12". Does a fine job on pen blanks:p

Bernie Weishapl
10-31-2011, 10:48 AM
I like the idea of a foot break. Need to update mine as well.

Fred Belknap
10-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I contacted Grizzly about the difference between the G0414XF and GO514X2, there seems to be some kind of conflict on their website about how they are dressed out. I am suppose to check back later today to get an answer. I don't have their catalog, haven't got one for the last couple years so I have to use their website to order. I would like to order today as I have a coupon # that expires at midnight.:rolleyes: I not sure what I will get yet but I got it nailed down to one of three machines, the two above and the G0513 Extreme with brake.

I ordered the G0513X2F this afternoon. I'm happy with my decision.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw-with-Cast-Iron-Trunnion-Foot-Brake/G0513X2F