PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Heavy Blanks

Steve Schlumpf
10-30-2011, 6:25 PM
Now that I have a lathe that can turn larger blanks... I would love to hear what folks use to lift those heavy blanks up to the lathe bed! I have a basement shop with a suspended ceiling - just so you get an idea of the closed-in surroundings. There has to be a way to mechanically lift a heavy chunk of wood and then swing it in place so you can secure it to the spindle.

Any ideas/suggestions on how best to accomplish this task?

Thanks!!

Paul Heely
10-30-2011, 6:35 PM
For getting it on the lathe, I would be looking at a fold up engine hoist. For getting them into the basement, I've never had anything I could not move into my basement shop using a hand truck. If I did then I'd rig a sling off my tractor and lower it down that way.

There's also the hydraulic table from Harbor Freight that I think some people use for this. Can't wait to see what kind of monster turnings come off the new lathe.

Josh Bowman
10-30-2011, 6:36 PM
Steve, since a fork lift is out of the question:D I have one of these in my shop and find it folds nicely out of the way, but is easy to put together or even break down and carry the piece to my truck so I can use it out of the shop. I got it on sale a Northern Tools for about $150. I've easily lifted a Powermatic 3520 with it and rolled it across a driveway into my friends shop. The other type has 4 back wheels. It's also nice, but takes up a little more floor space when folded, but is easy to move folded. Good luck.
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/144848_lg.jpg

charlie knighton
10-30-2011, 6:38 PM
i may be thinking of the same thing as Paul's hoist only i would call it a motor crane, it does fold up, is hydrolic

i would look for a shop going out of business or surprising how many are at estate sales, course this is racing/bumping territory

Josh Bowman
10-30-2011, 6:39 PM
There's also the hydraulic table from Harbor Freight that I think some people use for this. Ya know, I remember a video of a guy turning a huge segmented piece and he used one of those tables to move the blank and position it. I'll look around and see if I can find it for you.

John Keeton
10-30-2011, 6:47 PM
Steve, I don't have much trouble getting my 6" blocks up to the lathe!:) But, I will give another vote for the engine hoist, aka shop crane. Mine is the Harbor Freight version, and works great for all kinds of tasks. It does take some "swing" room in that the footprint of the hoist is rather large. But, you could shorten up the hoist arm to the shortest hole and get rid of the height problem.

Nate Davey
10-30-2011, 7:09 PM
Steve,

In Elmer Adams second video on YouTube, he has an interesting hand truck/hoist thingy he used for those huge NIP blanks he cut.

Pete Jordan
10-30-2011, 7:13 PM
Hey Buddy,

I use a chainfall in my garage but you might want to check into those hydraulic tables.

ray hampton
10-30-2011, 7:36 PM
harbor freight sells a crane that mount to a pick-up truck bed but there is not any reason that the same crane can not be use to lift items up to the table top

Roger Chandler
10-30-2011, 7:51 PM
Steve ........

I can think of several solutions........you might have to rig up an A frame to support a pulley overhead but these are simple:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-lb-capacity-strap-winch-65115.html

I have seen a thread [I don't remember where] that a guy had one of these bolted to the bed extension on his lathe and is able to put very large blanks on his lathe.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-with-cable-winch-37555.html

An electric winch hooked to an overhead pulley would work also.

Derek Gilmer
10-30-2011, 8:08 PM
How heavy is heavy? I'd guess a suspended piece of barn door track like this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2378989402P?sid=IDx20101019x00001 a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM2310934303 lined up in front of the headstock with a chain pulley system like this (http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-1-Ton-Easy-Lift-Chain-Pulley/dp/B000IIDZWE) to lift the heavy blank then slide it back on the track to the lathe could be rigged up pretty easy.

I have no knowledge of the quality of the items linked. I mainly googled for examples of what I was thinking about.

mickey cassiba
10-30-2011, 8:22 PM
harbor freight sells a crane that mount to a pick-up truck bed but there is not any reason that the same crane can not be use to lift items up to the table topAt my last job, I built a cart and mounted one of the HF cranes on it to lift the cuter heads into the moulders. Total cost was about 75 bucks.

Pete Jordan
10-30-2011, 8:48 PM
Hook this up to your ceiling. I'm sure Coleen won't mind the floor caving in.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-120-volt-ac-electric-winch-96127.html

Paul Williams
10-30-2011, 8:49 PM
I think the engine hoist is the best idea, but if you don't want it sitting around or don't have other uses for it, how about a simple ramp. For a really heavy piece you could roll your blank onto the end of the ramp and then jack that end up so the slope was minimal. You would also need shims or small ramps for final adjustment to the headstock height.

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2011, 8:53 PM
I would use a engine hoist. I have used the neighbors as he was a mechanic. It does work pretty slick including picking up logs to be cut into blanks.

Ted Calver
10-30-2011, 8:54 PM
I use the hydraulic table from harbor freight to not only lift heavy logs to the lathe bed, but also to move the lathe when I need to move it. It's handy for lots of shop activities and I wouldn't be without one. I have an engine hoist but the long legs just don't maneuver well in a crowded shop.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=hydraulic+cart

If I ever get desperate I'll buy one of these to straddle the lathe.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-telescoping-gantry-crane-41188.html

Jon McElwain
10-30-2011, 9:06 PM
Maybe something like this? You might have to train it though....

charlie knighton
10-30-2011, 9:19 PM
his arms are too short Jon, and i would not want him slobbering on blank if he picked it up with teeth

Curt Fuller
10-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Steve, I'm thinking that this might be kind of a hidden gloat, just another one of the trials and tribulations of having such a big "make everyone drool" lathe. But then I got thinking some more and I know you're not the bragging kind. Could you remove a panel from the suspended ceiling above the lathe and drill a 1" hole horizontally through a couple floor joists, put a piece of 1" cold rolled bar through there, and hang a chain hoist? You could tidy it up with a nice box in the hole so Colleen wouldn't get upset, and it would be out of the way and you wouldn't have to vacuum around it like you would a rolling engine hoist.

Doug W Swanson
10-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Steve,
Maybe you should have thought about this before you bought the new lathe. One way to solve it would be to turn to body building to bulk up so you could lift the wood chunks yourself.

The other way would be to buy an engine hoist with a load equalizer like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31tMndi2mXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Scott Hackler
10-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Steve, I have been thinking about your problem and I think the engine lift might be problematic with the carpet in your basement. If it were me..... I would secure a 5' piece of 6" I-beam to the wood floor joist going perpendicular to the ways of the lathe. With several attachments to several of the floor joists, the weight per joist will be less than a refrigerator sitting on the floor above. Get a small gantry trolley and a chain hoist and your in business. Lift it off the floor in front of the lathe and push it to over the ways!

I just did a quick search over at HF online and you can get a 1 ton push trolley and a 1 ton chain hoist for $100! Now all you would need is a small section of I-Beam and you'll be in business

Joe Watson
10-30-2011, 11:31 PM
In the past, at work, ive used most of the cranes, hoists and lifts posted here - from that expearience, if it was me, id go with mounting the "pick-up-truck hoist (http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-with-cable-winch-37555.html)" if you can mount it to the lathe (don't know the lathe you have)- back side of the head would probly be my choice.

The [o] would be the crane, the dashs the lathe, the pipe '|' the chuck and arrow the tailstock.

[0]
----|--------------<---
o
-|-
/\

They are nice, always there - never have to move them out of the way or pull them into place - not a pain to maneuver like an engine hoist, just swing it out of the way and no real floor space is used.

_

Harry Robinette
10-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Steve
I use a HF 880# electric hoist to load logs onto my Vega. I think a engine hoist won't be able to be moved on your CARPETED shop floor. The hyd table I have won't go anywhere near high enough to reach the ways on your lathe it barely is high enough to use on my Vega. A hook-up to the floor joist with a hoist of some kind is about your only bet the way I see it. Unless you can figure a way to mount one of those pick-up bed hoist on or close to the lathe. Let use know what you come up with and good luck and think SAFELY.
PS: to mount to the floor joist I used 2 1/2"plates that bolt to the joist and then the hoist is on a steel rod that goes through the plates.

Norm Zax
10-31-2011, 6:15 AM
Im planning this solution for my future workshed: an I beam connected to the ceiling, from the door to just above the lathe and a winch (electric or chain) running on it. That way I just need to get blanks to the shed door and there hoist it up and move it anywhere along the path.

John Keeton
10-31-2011, 7:03 AM
Steve, since the maneuverability of the engine hoist is in question - and, I agree that would be an issue - going with an overhead solution seems to be the best. Given that, I think an iron beam is overkill. I can't imagine any blank you would use would be over 500lbs. That kind of weight is easily supported by a couple of floor joists using a wood beam. You could go between the joists with a built up header (couple of pieces of 2x8) and using an eye bolt, make a connection for a removable chain hoist that had a hook on it. That way, you could keep it above ceiling tile level, and simply remove the tile when such an event is called for.

Just think about all the porch swings that are out there supporting a couple of folks (350lbs+) with no problem. And, they are held by much lighter weight setups.

The other question - how do you get the blank downstairs!!!???

Derek Gilmer
10-31-2011, 7:16 AM
Steve, since the maneuverability of the engine hoist is in question - and, I agree that would be an issue - going with an overhead solution seems to be the best. Given that, I think an iron beam is overkill. I can't imagine any blank you would use would be over 500lbs. That kind of weight is easily supported by a couple of floor joists using a wood beam. You could go between the joists with a built up header (couple of pieces of 2x8) and using an eye bolt, make a connection for a removable chain hoist that had a hook on it. That way, you could keep it above ceiling tile level, and simply remove the tile when such an event is called for.

Just think about all the porch swings that are out there supporting a couple of folks (350lbs+) with no problem. And, they are held by much lighter weight setups.

The other question - how do you get the blank downstairs!!!???

The one advantage to the i-beam is being able to move the hoist over a blank that is in front of/beside the lathe for attachment. Then slide the blank into place to be mounted. I might be picturing your solution wrong but if the hoist is right over the lathe would a large blank be banging into the side of the lathe bed as it was lifted up?

John Keeton
10-31-2011, 7:26 AM
Derek, I think that issue could easily be solved by simply using a short piece of 2x12 leaned up against the lathe as a "skid" for the blank until it clears the ways. I am just trying to keep it simple - and, cheap. Don't know why, though - a guy that has an American Beauty deserves the very best!!:D

Derek Gilmer
10-31-2011, 8:50 AM
Derek, I think that issue could easily be solved by simply using a short piece of 2x12 leaned up against the lathe as a "skid" for the blank until it clears the ways. I am just trying to keep it simple - and, cheap. Don't know why, though - a guy that has an American Beauty deserves the very best!!:D

So true. I'm surprised Robust doesn't make an integrated crane arm upgrade.

Prashun Patel
10-31-2011, 8:57 AM
Steve, if you want a solution that doesn't take up so much space, then you might just try a simple block and tackle mounted over the headstock. You can pull the pulley up out of the way when not in use. A modified version of the "bike hoist" might be good; you'd really only need the left pulley and then a strap to lash around the blank.

john taliaferro
10-31-2011, 10:05 AM
i ve got a jib crane built on back of the head stock on my homemade contraption. To attach to the log i use one of the old stamped handles with 4 holes and 1 1/2 ss screws 500 lb easey on each one and they last a long time .

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas everyone - I do appreciate it!

Derek, I am trying to come up with a way to lift blanks that are anywhere from 50 to 250 pounds. I can manage the smaller ones now but will I be able to in 10 years? So, am trying to find something that works for everything within that range and in the process save my back!

Being located in the basement - kinda rules out the heavy duty options but I will check into the smaller block & tackle idea as I do think that would work just fine! Once I get something in place - that actually works - I'll post about it.

Curt - you know me all too well my friend!
Doug - spoken like a true Dad! I could hear my father in your words!! Thanks for the laugh!

Appreciate all the assist!

Jamie Donaldson
10-31-2011, 11:13 AM
Steve- you don't need no stinkin' hoist, cause there ain't no market for wooden bird baths! Just cause you now have a hulkin' big lathe, if you cain't lift the wood up to turn it, then you shouldn't be tryin' to turn it!:D:D:D

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Wow... tell me how you really feel!! :D

That was funny right there! Thanks for the laugh!!

John Keeton
10-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Those guys with Stubbys get a little edgy when they encounter an American Beauty!!:D

Curt Fuller
10-31-2011, 8:08 PM
Well now that you solved the "getting it up on the lathe" problem I want to know how you're going to get them into the basement to begin with. Put an old mattress up against the wall and just roll 'em down the stairs? I think the solution to both problems might be just breaking down and getting a cell phone to call a buddy to come over and help for a few minutes.

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2011, 8:21 PM
Curt - that assumes that I have friends willing to assist!! Not necessarily the case! Like most of us, I prefer to do everything myself and will figure out these challenges out as they occur!

BILL DONAHUE
10-31-2011, 8:50 PM
Just got a flyer in the mail today from Harbor Frieght and they had this shop crane for $150. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-93840.html

ray hampton
10-31-2011, 9:08 PM
Steve, the old timers would tie three poles together at one end and use the same rope to tie to the tool and by raising one pole at a time ,the tool can be elevate to new height

Thomas Canfield
10-31-2011, 9:35 PM
Steve,

You really have a problem with being in a basement and probably limited headroom. Almost any lifting arrangement you use will require a fair amount of space, as I learned installing hoist systems for differnt projects during my working years. For my little Powermatic 3520, I usually will install a faceplate for the initial mounting, and then once the piece (so far up to about 120 pounds) is sitting on the lathe ways with the faceplate, I will rig up some shims under the piece to get it into alignment with the drive screw to engage the faceplate and then turn the handwheel to thread. So far, I have been able to do that by byself, but am giving up on the heavier pieces after too many bad checks. It sure hurts to throw out 30# rough turned 19" D bowls that have checked bad.

Derek Gilmer
10-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Another idea that might help is something like an old fashion lever system to get water out of a well. See my SUPER fancy illustration:

Where you can lower the arm down, tie it onto a blank then use the rope/pulley on the other end to lift it to the right height and tie it off while you mount the blank to the lathe. You could probably make it to be relatively easy to take apart and store when not in use. Maybe even add a 30 or 40 pound weight on the pulley side to help with lifting.

Harry Robinette
10-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Steve
A large screw eye in the center, a rope long enough to lower the log down the steps,2 2x6's on the steps and you can slid the log down pretty easy. If you need a little help run the rope around something even a trailer hitch ball or tree if ones close.

Curt Fuller
10-31-2011, 11:25 PM
How about something like this either anchored directly to the floor joists or attached to the lathe ways similar to how a steady rest is attached and then run the cable through a pulley in the ceiling.
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Winch/Fulton/FK6500301.html

(http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Winch/Fulton/FK6500301.html)

Jon Prouty
11-01-2011, 1:48 AM
Easy solution Steve... Your lathe is too big. I'll come and trade you a very nice Delta midi lathe for that big nasty beast and save your back in the process. One can never be too cautious abut ones health and I would say that this is one of those occasions where a downsize may be your best option. I'll gladly drive out there from AZ with delivery of your new Delta and remove the beast from your basement... Besides, the carpet pile is probably sunk in now pretty deep and crying for mercy. Win win. Jon

Bret Leishman
11-01-2011, 1:49 AM
Steve,
I have been using an electric hoist mounted to my ceiling joist. It is rated at 220 lbs. (440 when cable is doubled up). I have turned 30 in. or better blanks on my lathe, probably weighing in at about 200lbs. My electric hoist is mounted on square tubing so that it can slide back and forth. Not sure this is really necessary, I find it easier to maintain control of big blanks by just gently "walking" them up the side of the lathe. This solution should take up very little of your head room.

Steve Schlumpf
11-01-2011, 7:45 AM
Bret - looks like you have quite the nice setup to handle those heavy blanks! You also have over double the available headroom! Sure looks cool though!

I have started to think along the lines of one of those real small pulley systems - like the ones sold during hunting season to hold/lift a deer. They are cheap (around $20) and are rated to 500 pounds. Not 100% sure that is what I'll do ... but thinking about it.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Jon.... you funny!!

Roger Chandler
11-01-2011, 8:27 AM
I have started to think along the lines of one of those real small pulley systems - like the ones sold during hunting season to hold/lift a deer.

Steve,

I have one of those hanging above my lathe..........never thought of using it for wood blanks........just happened to be where I stored it away until I need it for deer. It does work good for hoisting a deer up for skinning, etc.........I see no reason it could not work if you hooked a rope basket, that you could make to slip underneath the blank or a couple of straps hooked to the gambrel. You have a good and cheap idea there! Thanks for sharing it.........it might work for me as well!

Bill Bulloch
11-01-2011, 8:42 AM
That table cart that Ted posted (http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=hydraulic+cart) looks interesting, but how do you get a 500lb log on the table (11" min height) and off the table (34" max height) to the spindle to lock it down?

My 16" lathe will not handle logs that I can not lift, so mounting them to the lathe is not a problem right now. I do, however, have a problem with cutting large logs into blanks. I find that bending over to cut a lot of logs is bad on the old back and like to get them up off the ground to waist high. But, those logs larger than 18" in diameter prove to be a problem for an old man like me. Right now I depend on my Son-In-Law for this kind of work. Unfortunately, he is not always available when the job needs to be done. Some of the suggestion in this tread have given be some ideas for solving the problem. Thanks for posting.

Tim Rinehart
11-01-2011, 9:06 AM
Steve,
I personally think the approach taken by Bret Leishman is about the safest approach for your application. I recall seeing pics of your basement, and if I recall, you do have room for the the smallest of electric hoists to be mounted in same fashion as Bret did. I would make my bar extend all the way to far side of the lathe so it's not above you when not in use.

I would steer clear of any lifting device that doesn't have a built in brake, and that has capability of 'quickly' removing its load like some come-alongs do. That removes as an option the block and tackle arrangements, that while cheap and effective, aren't as safe in my opinion when working alone.

After seeing what Bret did...I think I'm going to look into something very similar for myself.

I think a bigger issue of controlability is how you will get those big blanks down the stairs safely. You can always kinda manhandle and get a neighbors help to initially load a piece into the lathe...but getting down stairs with a 200lb plus blank...dangerous. Some kind of sled arrangement perhaps? Or have you prepped Colleen to install a heavy duty dumbwaiter!?:eek:

Look forward to hearing what you decide.

Baxter Smith
11-01-2011, 1:37 PM
Lots of good suggestions Steve but I thought thats what spouses were for.;):)

charlie knighton
11-01-2011, 4:07 PM
suggestions or hauling it down the stairs?