PDA

View Full Version : My Period bench Made with Period Tools

Keith Miguel
10-30-2011, 6:11 PM
Hello Gentlemen
I am delighted to be able to share with you some pictures of my bench in various stages of construction. My journey in getting to this point has been a long and storied one. My bench is not yet completed but it is close. The top is made in three parts similar to the Hancock shaker bench. The front is maple and the rest comprised of two planks of cherry edge glued. The maple was dressed with a planer and after that the entire bench was built with antique tools. The holdfast is from Colonial williamsburg. It works beautifully. I hope to share more pictures with you all and more of my journey. Thank you for your interest

Jim Koepke
10-30-2011, 6:19 PM
Howdy Keith and welcome to the Creek.

Nice looking bench. Looks like you have some additions of vises to follow.

Are you located near Williamsburg?

jtk

Keith Miguel
10-30-2011, 6:49 PM
Hello Jim
Thank you for the kind words and warm welcome. I actually live in New York City but Ive been to Williamsburg many many times. The bench currently has a tail vise and will have a leg vise. The tail vise works but could use some adjustments. I will post some more pics of these as well. Thank you for your interest. Thank you

Keith Miguel
10-30-2011, 6:59 PM
Boring the hole for the tail vise screw In 2 1/2 inch cherry. It went pretty quick actually, still there are sweat stains on the wood

Keith Miguel
10-30-2011, 7:06 PM
Tail vise jaw with screw hole bored through

Dave Anderson NH
10-31-2011, 3:14 PM
Nice job Keith. Welcome to the creek.

Chris Griggs
10-31-2011, 3:29 PM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Keith Miguel
10-31-2011, 6:24 PM
Thank very much Dave, appreciate it.
Nice job Keith. Welcome to the creek.

Keith Miguel
10-31-2011, 6:25 PM
Thank you Chris!
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Keith Miguel
10-31-2011, 6:32 PM
This is the dovetailed face piece for the tail vise, I used 5/4 red oak....it's amazing how much you learn everytime you try something......our craft is so demanding and very humbling

Keith Miguel
10-31-2011, 6:36 PM
A little further along in the process

Keith Miguel
11-02-2011, 7:30 PM
I think I picked the wrong title for this thread! I thought you guys loved bench building blog type posts?

Andrae Covington
11-02-2011, 10:56 PM
I think I picked the wrong title for this thread! I thought you guys loved bench building blog type posts?

Don't give up... there's always a lot more lurking than posting. I think it's great that you're doing all by hand. I used a combination of hand tools, handheld power tools, and the use of some friends' stationary power tools to build mine, and it still nearly did me in.

Jeff Schmidt
11-03-2011, 9:56 AM
The title is precisely what piqued my interest. I look forward to more posts and pictures. Great work!

Will Boulware
11-03-2011, 12:39 PM
We're watching! Keep posting! Looking great!

Rick Fisher
11-03-2011, 1:41 PM
Nice work..

Mike Davis NC
11-03-2011, 4:46 PM
The detail pictures are great but I need to see the overall bench. Is it that far along?

How is the base made?

Are you making the big screw entirely by hand tools? or with a lathe?

Matt Hankins
11-03-2011, 5:46 PM
I actually live in New York City but Ive been to Williamsburg many many times.

Have you been to Historic Richmond Town in Staten Island? You would probably really enjoy it.

The bench looks good so far. I will enjoy watching the progress.

Matt

Keith Miguel
11-03-2011, 8:37 PM
Thank you jeff I'm noy looking for accolades I'really looking to share and discuss my experience with hand tools. Thank you
The title is precisely what piqued my interest. I look forward to more posts and pictures. Great work!

Keith Miguel
11-03-2011, 8:47 PM
Hey Matt thank you for the good words. Yes I've been to Richmondtown many times and even worked as a costumed interpreter there once. I recently went there to study their bench , mainly the tail vise guide system. It's fascinating studyingthe variations of the tail vise constructions .
Have you been to Historic Richmond Town in Staten Island? You would probably really enjoy it.

The bench looks good so far. I will enjoy watching the progress.

Matt

Keith Miguel
11-03-2011, 8:52 PM
The tail vise just about ready for a dry fit. Yes thats a treadle grindstone behind it, and no I haven't used it as of yet. The stone is not round and requires some work to get it right..........maybe someday....