PDA

View Full Version : E-Z Smart Question

Gary Herrmann
03-02-2005, 8:10 PM
I've read the threads on GCSS, and checked out the website. I've got a Milwaukee (6390, I think) circ saw that I like very much and a Forrest Duraline blade. I get very smooth cuts.

Does anyone know if the EZ SG (tryin to follow the rules...) will work with my saw?

I'd also like to ask what folks don't like about it, since I've read so many positives. For example, does the fence flex at all when making an 8ft rip cut?

Thanx.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-03-2005, 8:27 AM
Gary,

If I'm not mistaken, you can mention the name of the Smart Guide :). Anyway, go to the website and email Dino about your saw. He should be able to tell you if it will work or not. I can't imagine it wouldn't, but if you want to check, Dino will get back to you very quickly.

As far as what I don't like?? Well I haven't found anything yet. It doesn't seem to flex at all and it has done everything I have asked. I am sure some will have complaints, but I love mine!

Pete Harbin
03-04-2005, 1:12 AM
Gary,

I've only recently received my EZ system. I've set up my CS and router, but won't be making any test cuts until this weekend. I have connceted the rails though, and there is zero flex. These babies are beefy, and the connection is solid. Like I said though, I haven't made any cuts yet, so I'll update my experiences this weekend.

Pete

Richard Blaine
03-06-2005, 1:14 AM
I bought an EZ smart a few months ago. I haven't had a chance to really give it a full run for its money. A couple of the negatives at this point: 1. I'd like to screw mount it to my saw, but I'm having problems finding a good way to do this. I think its a problem with my saw base layout. I'm sure I'll eventually get it. 2. This is more of a warning. Be careful not to over tighten the allen screws for the connectors or you will bulge the metal in the guide (DAMHIKT.) 3. It can be heavy.

On the positive side: 1. I have not noticed any flexing at all. 2. Cuts a very nice straight line. 3. Easy setup.

Bottom line is that it is a nice system, and it gets me away from trying to maneuver full sheets through the table saw.

Glenn Clabo
03-06-2005, 6:42 AM
Gary...the only thing I don't like about the system is that I didn't get it a long time ago.
I also have the Milwaukee Tilt Lok and it mounted and works great. The dust collection in the saw is not good but it cuts 4/4 cherry/walnut/maple/ply like buttah.

Gary Herrmann
03-06-2005, 9:54 AM
My neighbor just bought a Festool saw. Oh man, that thing is nice. I'm going to do a little more research before I decide on a guide. If I don't get one this year, I may pony up and get a Festool, because I don't think I'll be able to borrow my neighbor's for weeks on end. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you like your SmartGuides, it does seem like a good guide and would be a lot less than the Festool.

Glenn, yeah, the Milwaukee is a good saw, but the dust mgt ucks. Especially if you run the saw against a straight edge for an 8ft plywood cut and happen to be on the wrong side. My wife took one look at me and said, "Wow, you do need one of those dust collection things." - so maybe it isn't all bad...

Mike Holbrook
03-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Gary,

You may want to check the recent Ez posts or give Dino a call. I think he has plans for the EZ to work with the Festool saw, if it does not already. There was also a hint of a EZ saw sometime in the future. I have only seen pictures of the Festool guide. The Ez looks sturdier to me & I think there are some nice things about the clamping system that are unique. From what I have read the Festool advantages are more in dust collection.

Joseph N. Myers
03-06-2005, 2:24 PM
As far as the saw guide flexing, I've had mine up to 14' + (3 50" and 1 25") with no flexing that I can see. I think that part of the strength is the 6" width of fairly thick aluminum and each section connected together with (3) strong 12" connecting rods. And the clamps connect to the underside of the wood and are quite solid.

As far as the saw dust "problems". I have one of the PC saw with the dust port (PC 347, right saw, no brake) and use it with an 11' hose that I got from PC (about $23 IIRC) and it cuts down at least 80% of the saw dust --- PICTURE ATTACHED. I also remember that a couple of months ago, Dino and somebody else on the forum came up with a prototype piece of plastic over the saw blade side that helped quite a bit with the saw dust problem (creating a vacuum so the hose would work better).

I also have the edge dust collection attachment part that goes with the PC router, PC 7529, 2hp, plunge router, to help with the saw dust, around $15 to $20 IIRC. I haven't tried it yet but would imagine it would also be around 80% effective.

Regards, Joe

Jeff Sudmeier
03-06-2005, 7:35 PM
Joe,

Looks like your saw is set up well for Dust Collection. It has suction right where the cut is made. If you fit your saw with a blade cover, I'd bet it would be REALLY effective. I plan on retrofitting my saw with dust collection, as soon as I figure out how :)