PDA

View Full Version : left or right tilt TS?

Kevin Gregoire
10-30-2011, 5:34 PM
which is better and why?

i have a right tilt craftsman but i would think a left tilt would be betteras there wouldnt be any pinching?
plus you could use a push stick much easier on narrow cuts as the blade wouldnt be in the way?

Greg Peterson
10-30-2011, 5:41 PM
I like left tilt for the reasons you stated. Trying to bevel or miter an edge can run into limitations on a right tilt.

Larry Edgerton
10-30-2011, 6:28 PM
I was faced with that same dilema. So I bought one of each. Actually three right and one left PM66. If I could only have one, It would be a left tilt.

Larry

David Kumm
10-30-2011, 7:24 PM
I put an extension on the left side and moved the rails so I have room on both sides of the blade. Fence needs to be parallel rather than pointed out. Don't use the saw to rip wide sheets of ply though. Dave

david brum
10-30-2011, 7:38 PM
I've had both. I made sure to get left tilt on my current saw, also for the reasons you stated. There are benefits unique to right tilt saws though. For instance, the blade thickness doesn't change the fence setting. Right tilt saws are also great if you have a sliding table on the left side, since the bevel is pointing away from you. Even with those benefits, I personally found a right tilt saw awkward to use. The left tilt is overall more comfortable to use (for me).

Jeffrey Makiel
10-30-2011, 8:47 PM
Over 20 years ago I owned a Craftsman left tilt contractor saw. Then I upgraded to a Delta Unisaw. I did not consider the direction of the blade tilt. After all, I was doing a major upgrade to a higher end cabinet saw...why should I care?

After about 2 months, I had to do a bevel cut. So I tilted the blade 45 degree. But it tilted the wrong way! How can this be? It's a Delta Unisaw...a major player in the cabinet saw market!

Did I assemble the saw wrong? No.

Why would a major saw manufacturer sell a saw that created trapped cuts while tilting the blade?

Turns out, I did not do my homework. I probably should have bought a Powermatic 66.

I often wanted a sliding table. However, I am not able to install one of these gadgets as I need the fence rails to be left of the blade so I can do bevel cuts safely. That is, I need to move the fence to the left side of the blade so the beveled cut isn't trapped.

Now, every manufacturer offers left tilt blades. Even the new Delta Unisaw. Nobody does it the other way around. That should tell you something. It does for me.

Left tilt, left tilt and left tilt. That's my opinion.

cheers,
Jeff :)

Jeff Duncan
10-30-2011, 8:54 PM
I've used both and really couldn't care less about the direction of the tilt. To be honest I'm a bit surprised at how so many guys feel it makes much difference. If you learn to use your saw safely the direction of tilt is really a moot point. I've done a fair amount of bevel cuts up to full 8' miters for panel work and can't say I've run into trouble b/c of the tilt direction....YMMV.

good luck,
JeffD

Jim Becker
10-30-2011, 8:59 PM
For an "American" design table saw, my preference is left-tilt and that's what I owned when I had one. For a slider, right-tilt is appropriate due to the way you handle material.

Kent A Bathurst
10-30-2011, 9:12 PM
Left. Had my left-tilt Unisaw for ~~13 years. Wouldn't consider a change to right.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-30-2011, 9:16 PM
If you learn to use your saw safely the direction of tilt is really a moot point.
JeffD

Jeff...perhaps I'm not that slick.

I revere the tablesaw as the most hazardous machine in my shop for the last 25 years. I need every advantage I can get. And, left tilt on a typical North American saw would answer my call.

And, I do use a splitter, overarm hood, Shophelpers, fingerboards and push sticks. But, I feel these gadgets/techniques only help alleviate a design flaw.

But, I'm not an expert. Just a hobbyist.

Jeff :)

Cody Colston
10-30-2011, 9:30 PM
I much prefer left tilt. Even though the fence can be used on either side of the blade, it feels awkward when it's left of the blade because I'm right-handed. I have to either use the "wrong" hand to make the cut or reach awkwardly across my body (standing right of the blade). Neither option is preferable.

Beveled cuts with the blade tilted towards the fence make no sense to me. Since the Unisaw was first manufactured in 1936, the right-tilt blade was probably an easier design to manufacture. I doubt if ergonomics or safety were given a lot of consideration back then.

scott spencer
10-30-2011, 9:57 PM
The biggest reason I prefer left tilt is because the arbor nut goes on with my right hand and has a normal thread orientation (I'm right handed). Right tilt arbor nut goes on with the left hand and has reverse thread orientation.

Bruce Wrenn
10-30-2011, 9:58 PM
Prior to the Uni Saw, most saws were tilting top instead of tilting arbor. Of course sheet goods didn't exist then either, at least in the "home shop" market. I've owned both left tilt (Craftsman) and right tilt (Delta.) I wouldn't walk across the street for the difference in right, vs left tilt, as over 99% of my cuts are at 90 degrees.

John TenEyck
10-31-2011, 10:27 AM
I have a right tilt Unisaw and a left tilt Sears bolted side by side with one common fence rail system. The Unisaw is so much easier to tilt that I use it for most all bevel cuts unless it's on really wide stuff. I have nine inches to the left of the blade, and that covers most of my needs. One thing I really like the right tilt for is beveled cuts with the miter gage. I'm right handed and it just feels more natural and safer to have my right hand pushing the miter gage. If I were to do that on the left tilt saw my left hand would either be in my sight line or in-line with the blade. But if I had only one saw, I'd want it to be a left tilt.