PDA

View Full Version : What A Great Day......A Creeker Visit!!!

Dick Wilson
10-30-2011, 5:25 PM
Paul Merrill post a week or so ago that he was going to be in the Grand Rapids area for a family wedding and wanted to know where to go that is woodturning related. I posted back with "stop in....let's meet". Today he did. We had a great talk for 2-3 hours. I gave him the shop tour and as Paul can attest to John, I do turn, because there are piles of shavings. I also showed him the big coal shovel....haven't gotten around to that yet ;). And there was the customary exchange of wood. He brought me 4 pieces of magnificant Box Elder with beautiful red:D:D:D. I reciprocated with a bunch of wood from my garage that has been there several years. I found out that Paul is a "newbie" to turning so I loaded him up with plenty of practice wood to hone his skills on. I told Paul that when he gets down my way again to stop by.....there is plenty more.

My plans for tomorrow have changed. I have already visualized what to turn out of one of pieces of BE. I will be spinning tomorrow:D:D:D Thanks Paul.211505211506

John Keeton
10-30-2011, 5:31 PM
Excellent!!! Looks like both of you made pretty good on the wood exchange. Sorry that you didn't get around to cleaning up the shop prior to the visit, but I wouldn't have expected much else from you, Dick!;):D

On that coal shovel, I have had one for decades that I use for mulching the plant beds. But, for the last couple of years, it has served double duty - when the shavings get very deep (1" or so :rolleyes:) I bring out the coal shovel.

Congrats to both of you on a great visit!

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-30-2011, 5:44 PM
Sounds like a great day indeed. I have had 2 creeker visits & had a great time with both.

David E Keller
10-30-2011, 6:09 PM
Sounds like fun!

Steve Schlumpf
10-30-2011, 6:21 PM
Always great to hear of Creeker get togethers! Bet you two had fun!! Paul - looking forward to hearing more about the visit at our turning club meeting Tuesday!

Dick Wilson
10-30-2011, 7:07 PM
Always great to hear of Creeker get togethers! Bet you two had fun!! Paul - looking forward to hearing more about the visit at our turning club meeting Tuesday!

Hi Steve, Yea, Paul mentioned you and he are in the same guild. Being so new to turning I suggested he hook up with a mentor or two to help him along to the edge of the vortex.

Tony De Masi
10-30-2011, 7:11 PM
Very cool. These Creeker visits are really tons of fun.

Dick Wilson
10-30-2011, 7:14 PM
Excellent!!! Looks like both of you made pretty good on the wood exchange. Sorry that you didn't get around to cleaning up the shop prior to the visit, but I wouldn't have expected much else from you, Dick!;):D

On that coal shovel, I have had one for decades that I use for mulching the plant beds. But, for the last couple of years, it has served double duty - when the shavings get very deep (1" or so :rolleyes:) I bring out the coal shovel.

Congrats to both of you on a great visit!

John, I did except for the floor and the piles:eek::eek:. The shovel comes next. I did manage to clean off the benches and put "stuff" back in its place. I have to clean the floor before I turn anything or I will fill up my foot paths;):D

Alan Trout
10-30-2011, 7:56 PM
Creeker visits are always fun.

Alan

Paul Merrill
10-30-2011, 8:36 PM
Turned out to be a enjoyable day! Had a good visit with Dick, It was nice to see another wood turners shop and how they set it up. He gave me a lot of ideas, and suggestions. I was able to see a few of his works in progress, looking forward to see the finished products. Dick took me into his garage and his wood supply, a regular smorgasboard of wood. He was generous enough to give me a nice load of wood consisting of cherry, walnut, spalted malpe, curly maple, white ash, and black locust. Thanks again Dick for the invite to stop by, and the nice supply of wood. It should keep me busy for a while. Now, which piece to turn first????????

Paul Merrill
10-30-2011, 8:42 PM
Just for the record, the pictures were taken for you John. Dick and I both wanted to make sure we could back up what we were posting!!!:)

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2011, 8:49 PM
Doesn't get any better than that. Wood exchange and a great visit.