PDA

View Full Version : forstner bits

kelly logan
10-30-2011, 5:00 PM
Whats a good name on forstner bits? I like to have them last awhile, not to concern with price if they hold a edge

joe milana
10-30-2011, 5:06 PM
Meibach
Formax

Mike Konobeck
10-30-2011, 6:58 PM
Colt Maxi-Cut might be worth looking at. The nice thing about them is they make extensions that pressure fit on the shank. Woodcraft and Lee Valley sell them. Lee Valley is a touch cheaper but doesn't carry the larger set. Woodcraft has just a couple reviews. I have a Hickory set and they work but I need to replace them soon and will either buy the Miebach or Colts. The Freud bits are supposed to be nice too and come in carbide or HSS.

Paul McGaha
10-30-2011, 7:27 PM
I've had good luck with Freud.

PHM

Heather Thompson
10-30-2011, 7:45 PM
I have the Colt Maxi-Cut and a RotaStop 150mm extension, bought from Lee Valley and took advantage of one of their free shipping promotions. This is a youTube video that explains the benefits of the Maxi-Cut system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1zOGmuMM1I

Heather

Kent A Bathurst
10-30-2011, 9:10 PM
Colt. Famag.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-30-2011, 9:29 PM
I have the typical Chinese version that is sold by many retailers. They dull fast and are difficult to sharpen...if at all.

However, they do the job for me as a hobbyist.

I would recommend getting a good 35mm (1 3/8") bit if you plan to do a lot of concealed hinge work. Probably carbide.

Otherwise, the Chinese stuff is OK....only OK...not exceptional

Jeff :)

Mark Smith, too
10-30-2011, 9:34 PM
I've had good luck with Freud.

PHM

I have, too. Stay sharp, cut clean. Not cheap, but for me they are worth it.

Bruce Wrenn
10-30-2011, 9:50 PM
I have a cheap set that does OK for seldom uses. I also have a couple of sets of Columbian bits that Woodcraft used to sell. I have used the 1" to bore over a THOUSAND holes in the wooden cars I make for Toys for Tots. The stock for cars is ordinary 2 X 4's. Sometimes I will bore over a hundred holes at a setting, one right aft3er the other.