PDA

View Full Version : Coreldraw weld or combine

Glen Monaghan
10-30-2011, 12:05 PM
I seem to be doing something wrong, or simply don't understand what I should be doing here, so I'm hoping someone can educate me on this problem...

In the attached coreldraw file, I have two curves that form separate parts of a square. When I select them both and either weld or combine, the resulting curve has 6 nodes instead the 4 I would expect, the curve is "open" so you can't fill it. Two nodes at the upper left appear to be identical but don't get merged; same happens at lower right.

Now, if you use the shape tool to select one of the upper left nodes in this welded or combined curve, pull it slightly away from the other, move it back until you see "node", and then release, those two nodes merge together. Repeat for the lower right two nodes and the curve now has only 4 nodes, is closed, and can be filled.

That works, but I'm trying to do this with some gear shapes where every facet is a separate two-point curve and there are far too many nodes to do manually. Is there an easier way to do the weld or combine (or other operation) that actually merges those duplicated nodes, closing the curve and making it fillable? TIA

-Glen

Tony Lenkic
10-30-2011, 12:12 PM
What version of CDR are you running. I dont get any image in X3.

Glen Monaghan
10-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Sorry, that was X4. Here's the same thing in v7...

Tony Lenkic
10-30-2011, 1:18 PM
In this case for quick finish I would use "Smart fill tool" then delete the original.
Another way is to do is use "arrange/closet the path/ with straigth lines".

Ruben Salcedo
10-30-2011, 1:28 PM
Glen,

I don't consider my self an expert in CorelDraw, so I'm afraid I don't have the answer for your version, but in X5 you just select the segments then go to Join Curves (new feature in X5) then set gap tolerance if you need something other than the default setting, in my case I just leaved it as it is (0.05) hit Apply... and that was it, I'm able to fill it now.

Ruben

Mike Chance in Iowa
10-30-2011, 4:01 PM
I haven't bothered to upgrade in awhile, so I can only refer to X3. Using either Weld, Combine or Arrange-Close Path is going to give you 6 nodes instead of 4. Depending upon the shapes you will need to connect together, your fastest solution may be to use the Smart Fill Tool as that will give you 4 nodes in your example. It all depends upon the shapes. I have seen Smart Fill create extra nodes too, so you'll need to experiment with the shapes you have and check the node count. The only other solution is to select the two nodes and press J on the keyboard to Join the nodes into one node... or get X5 like Ruben has seen.

Gary Hair
10-30-2011, 4:45 PM
Weld and combine both worked fine for me in X5

Gary

Ruben Salcedo
10-30-2011, 6:03 PM
Gary,

did you try to fill it?, if I weld it or combine it, it keeps the path open, I still need to join them.

Ruben

Gary Hair
10-30-2011, 7:27 PM
Gary,

did you try to fill it?, if I weld it or combine it, it keeps the path open, I still need to join them.

Ruben

I missed that part of the post - I saw that it only had 4 nodes and thought I had solved it. Fill doesn't work unless you do it as you suggested. Never doubt Ruben, he is right about 99.999% of the time... the .001 that he was wrong was when he thought he made a mistake... he didn't...

Gary

Kenneth Chan
11-01-2011, 1:53 AM
Try to highlight both objects and then pick "close path"...that should work

George D Gabert
11-01-2011, 9:23 AM
You can also select objects, goto "effects", "create boundary" Move object out of the way and then delete originals. This gives box with 4 nodes

GDG