PDA

View Full Version : This just isn't right

Mike Cruz
10-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Yesterday, we got 6" of snow...IN OCTOBER!!!!!!!!!! I've lived in Maryland my whole life and do remember some pretty chilly Halloweens, but NEVER an accumulating snow this early. 20 minutes north of me got 11"!!!!!!!!!! We hadn't had a cold enough day, let alone night, to freeze the ground...yet it stuck and piled high.

Yeah, it gets me craving skiing, but a bit early for me to be taking care of the farm in the snow...

It was raining from 2 am til about 9am. Then it turned to snow. By 10:30 am we lost power. Heavy wet snow on leaves is a disasterous recipe. Many trees, limbs and bushes fell prey to the weight. We have a Magnolia bush that is all but flattened. Our Dogwood tree in the front yard had one broken off limb, and the rest dragging on the ground. A sizable limb fell off a Poplar tree and on to my shop roof. I'll have to check that one out today to make sure there isn't much if any damage...

I'd post pics, but my camera pooped out on me and is in the repair shop. Sorry.

Mark Engel
10-30-2011, 11:31 AM
After living in New Hampshire for 14+ years, we moved to North Carolina 2 years ago to get away from the winter weather, no matter what time of the year it decided to show up. I just read that Concord New Hampshire got 22" in yesterday's storm. Guess we got out just in time.

Bruce Page
10-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Just keep telling yourself...no pictures, it didn’t happen! :rolleyes:
I remember taking the kids trick or treating through 6” of snow on our first Halloween in northern New Mexico. We lived in Los Alamos @ 7300’. It was quite a shock for us, coming from So. California.

Mike Cruz
10-30-2011, 3:09 PM
Bruce, I'd love to, but it is 45 degrees and sunny here...and I STILL can't see the grass!!!!!!!!!!! The pictures in my mind will stay for some time.

curtis rosche
10-30-2011, 8:23 PM
we had about 4-6 inches here. but had major tree damage from the snow sticking to the leaves that hadnt fallen. one tree closed the driveway and one almost hit one of our trucks. spent about 3 hours opening the driveway today

Jim Becker
10-30-2011, 8:30 PM
Yea, not a happy camper here about this early snow storm, either...especially the 15 hours without power part. We thought that buying Professor Dr. SWMBO's new Subaru Outback on Friday night would keep the snow away, but it didn't work...sheesh!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/outback-pickup.jpg

And my car looked like this when I was leaving the barn yesterday after my riding lesson...only a couple hours into the storm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/snow-2-1.jpg

Bill Edwards(2)
10-31-2011, 7:54 AM
We didn't get snow... so others getting it, seems right to me.:cool:

Dan Hintz
10-31-2011, 9:17 AM
We got snow, but none of it stuck (except maybe 1/4" on top of the car for a few hours). Ground is all muddy, though, which is totally screwing up the carpets :(

Mike Cruz
10-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Drive 10 minutes south of our house and no snow to be seen anymore. Drive 15 minutes west of our house right now, and no snow to be seen anymore. We still can't see our grass!

Jeff Monson
10-31-2011, 10:32 AM
The "S" word being spoken already?? I'm not ready for it in the slightest bit. I'm going to pretent your thread never existed

Robert Maloney
10-31-2011, 4:56 PM
We got 14" of wet snow. Major tree damage and downed power lines. We just got power back this afternoon, and we're the lucky ones. People around us are probably not going to get power back for at least a week.

Mike Cruz
10-31-2011, 5:16 PM
I feel for you, Robert. Glad you got your power back. Hope that was the extent of your inconvenience...no trees on the house, that sort of thing.