PDA

View Full Version : Thought ya'll might find this interesting

Michelle Rich
10-30-2011, 7:48 AM
http://www.wimp.com/chesspieces/ The fella turns an amazing piece with a bow lathe. He uses only a skew and even carves with the skew! For all of you who hate skews, and those of you who can't turn without 3 hsp!!!! :eek: :D

Greg Just
10-30-2011, 8:46 AM
Amazing. that is one sharp skew! Did you notice all the other items he had turned? Thanks for sharing

Joe Vincent 63
10-30-2011, 8:49 AM
Amazing, especially when you consider how much time we spend talking about new tools and their effect on our turning.

Michelle Rich
10-30-2011, 10:35 AM
I agree Joe. I love tools, so I understand the obsession, but a lathe is just a spinner..it takes a turner to make a piece. I started out on a homemade springpole lathe & made lots of chair parts. A motor was quite a step up. !!! I just found his tool control with one hand & his foot, quite amazing..plus he turned the ring with a skew..not special ring cutting tools.

George Morris
10-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Great Vidio! Thanks for sharing!

Steve Kubien
10-30-2011, 11:37 AM
What stands out to me is how thin his chisel is. Yes, the hand-foot control is unbelievable but take that away and you are left with a piece of spinning wood, and a single tool very very different from what we use.

Thanks for sharing.

Roland Martin
10-31-2011, 8:30 PM
Tools certainly have very little to do with talent. I'm going to stick with my tool addictions though, I'd never be able to stand back up after spinning in that position for an hour. Thanks Michelle, very interesting!

John Keeton
10-31-2011, 8:37 PM
The guy deserves an award for his work with a skew! And, from the looks of things, I would say his skew is much sharper than most.

BILL DONAHUE
10-31-2011, 8:57 PM
Fascinating video! The only thing I'd attempt to make on that set-up would be a walking cane, which I'd need after cutting off a few toes.

Steve Vaughan
10-31-2011, 9:44 PM
That is amazing! So simple. Why he doesn't even have a dust collector, faceshield, gloves, ear protection, specialized lighting and several chucks, DNA and WOP, not even a lathe stand and ballast. Two thumbs up for the simple life!

Rick Markham
10-31-2011, 9:45 PM
Michelle, I've seen this video before and it still amazes me everytime I watch it. That guys got some serious skill, he just whips out a perfect captured ring in a couple of seconds. I admire his skill certainly, no telling what he could do on a big lathe... though it's hard for me to get my foot all the way up to the toolrest :)

Jon Lanier
10-31-2011, 10:20 PM
If he was here in the U.S., he'd be in demand at every wood show. Making a ton of money on appearance fee's.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-31-2011, 10:44 PM
What, no safety shoes? Where's OSHA?

Amazing. I have a garage full of tools, and he makes what I am incapable of doing, with that set up. I'd have trouble keeping the wood spinning.

Jim Burr
10-31-2011, 10:54 PM
That's a little humbling!

Joe Watson
10-31-2011, 11:41 PM
Its like he is playing a musical instrument - Have different limbs of his body doing different things while working together as one.

_

Jeff Fagen
11-01-2011, 12:21 AM
I wonder if they are some kind of religious item he's making,he has them painted up on a stick.I think that foot lathe is just his old timey demo unit.He must have a Powermatic in the back to make those bowls behind him.