PDA

View Full Version : Byrd / DJ-20 Marriage Consumated

John Hollaway
10-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Hi All,

With all the snow falling in PA today it turned out to be a great time to finally install a Byrd Shelix head in my jointer. Upon completion I swiped a knarly piece of walnut across the machine a couple of licks and discovered what all the hype has been about. What I don't understand is why Delta doesn't offer this cutterhead as an option on a new unit. Regardless, anyone teetering on the brink of a decision regarding this upgrade would surley get a "thumbs up" from me.

For all the fellow Creekers out there in the snow zone - be safe.

John Hollaway

david brum
10-30-2011, 12:36 AM
You'll like it even more when it really sinks in that you don't have to change the knives again!

Brian Penning
10-30-2011, 5:46 AM
So how difficult was it to do?

Jeffrey Makiel
10-30-2011, 9:06 PM
I don't own a helical (or spiral) cutter head. I've been thinking about a new combo J/P with helical cutterhead.

I know, I know, my procrastination is getting old. :rolleyes:

I'm a little leary of all the recent negative posts about the Jet J/P. But, I like the fact that Jet offers a helical cutter head. Whereas Hammer doesn't. And Grizzly's J/P spiral head machine requires electrical upgrade that I have no interest in doing.

Why Delta hasn't joined the helical cutter game is beyond me. The DJ20 jointer is still a gold standard among jointers.

I've had my fill of tear-out from straight knives. And the noise is absolutely stressful...even with ear muffs.

The market is extremely competitive these days. And with the economy floundering, one would anticipate that Delta would think outside of the ol' box and modernize their offering.

Everyone that has either installed a helical (or spiral) cutterhead, or bought a new machine with one, was very satisfied to say the least.

They can't be all lying. :)

Jeff :)

Mike Konobeck
10-31-2011, 1:14 AM
You can get a Byrd head on the Hammer directly from the factory. The tech keeps talking me out of the head for my Felder though. He swears that with properly set blades in one of their J/P that the finish quality is just as good (if not better) and about the same risk of tearout unless really figured. I get quite a bit of tearout and the blades are expensive so I am on the fence.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-31-2011, 7:26 AM
That's interesting to hear as I'm looking at the newly redesigned Hammer A31 now.

I'm pretty convinced by folks here and on other woodworking forums that a helical or spiral head (either type) is the way to go. Slight ridges left by the helical/spiral head may need minor sanding. However, tear-out can not be fixed.

Jeff :)

Peter Quinn
10-31-2011, 7:29 AM
I did the same thing last year and couldn't be happier. My DJ-20 is happy too! Even bird's eye maple is no match for the shelix. Teak? Not on a tersa head w/o carbide, even if it has SIX knives! Best upgrade I can think of for my small shop. I use a 4 knife terminus head jointer at work, and it really does a fine job on standard woods and pretty decent on figured stuff too with a little skew angle. But last fall we had to do some teak mock us for a job, the one jointer that has carbide knives takes easily 45 minutes setup time for each knife change (cranky beast), the carbide for the terminus head (20") are pretty spendy. So I worked from home using my DJ 20 and got it done quicker than changing knives. Wish we had one at work frankly. And the quiet factor is appreciated by all in theh house above my shop too.

Enjoy that jointer and work safe. A recent post showing what happens to a hand pushed into a spiral head still gives me the willies.

John Hollaway
10-31-2011, 9:52 AM
So how difficult was it to do?

Brian, much easier than I thought it would be. Don't know what jointer you have, but on the DJ-20 you simply remove the fence, guard and two cap screws holding each bearing cup in place. Lower the infeed and outfeed tables, slip off the belt and pully, and you're ready to go. A quick trip to the machine shop to remove and replace the fence side bearing and bearing cup from the original cutterhead (operator side bearing already pressed on the Shelix by Holbren) and you're ready to put it all back together. Piece of cake. If you have any other questions I'll PM you my phone number.

John Hollaway

Neil Brooks
10-31-2011, 9:59 AM
John-

I realize that -- technically -- yours may not have been a gloat, but ... may I say ... nonetheless ... that you suck :)